Gathering minnows and baitfish

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I sent an e-mail to the DNR today inquiring about the legality of catching bait for personal use. I specifically asked two questions. #1. Catching and using bullheads for bait. #2. Using a Cast Net for catching Gizzard Shad for bait on the St Croix River. I got a very quick response from the DNR.

In response to question #1 regarding bullheads. Bullheads seven inches and under may be used as bait for angling.

In response to question #2. Cast nets are not legal for use in Minnesota. They also added that the St Croix River is closed to the taking of minnows and bait from Taylor Falls to the confluence of the Mississippi River. I asked for a clarification on this regulation and this is the response from the DNR. “The St Croix is closed to the taking of minnows due to the fact it is infested with zebra mussels. In the synopsis, the only waters where minnows may be taken and used in the same waters is those infested waters that contain Eurasian water milfoil. An example would be Lake Mille Lacs. Waters that contain invasive fish or invertebrates are closed to the taking of minnows.

The reason I asked about the minnows and baitfish from the St Croix was because I intended to try to catch some Gizzard Shad and freeze them for cut bait for channel cat fishing. But according to the regulations that is not legal because of the zebra mussel infestation. I guess we will have to stick to suckers for cut bait. I saw some great looking gizzard shad that had died off during the recent shad kill and they looked like they would be great cut bait. I guess that option is now out the window. I’m glad I asked – I was going to buy a cast net and head down to the Bayport NSP Plant to try and catch some shad. I would have probably ended up going home in the back of a squad car. I’m just trying to get ready for some cat fishing – I got the bug bad.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I wonder what the law is in Wisconsin? I’ll see what I can dig up for you.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Shad are a wicked cutbait. Possibly you can look into dipnets or shad traps. There are a bunch of ways to get them. As far as where you originally gathered them, they sell frozen shad in bait shops here in Iowa. Your bag might “look a lot like” a bait shop bag. There also may be a difference between live bait and dead/frozen bait. I’d read the regs before I asked questions becasue there’s often a lot of opinion if you ask.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hey Josh – thanks for the info on shad. I’ve heard it is good bait that’s why I was hoping to get some caught locally. The Bass Pro Shops 2004 Angler’s Catalog sells Rusty’s Shad Bait. They come in a pressure pack that requires no refrigeration. They sell whole baby shad and shad sides. I’ve never used them but I think I may order some and give it a try. Anybody ever used this stuff?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Steve, that took me by surprise! Last fall there were at least two boats using casting nets…after dark in Afton.

It will be interesting to hear about the WI laws.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I wouldn’t waste my money on something that doesn’t require refrigeration. The oil and the stuff they take out is what you want.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Two years ago I read the laws several times and then posted this question here on the board. At that time the best that I could tell was that it was/is perfectly fine to use a casting net to catch baitfish in Wisconsin. I have used it to to catch gizardshad.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I use gizzard shad whenever I can’t catch Bluegills. Hook them right in one eye and out the other. Minnesota sure has some dumb rules. Why less than 7 inch bullheads? I can see some MDNR weenie actually measuring your bait. One pole also sucks. 10000 lakes and just as many wardens.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.