Where are the flats

• djbeagle
    Onalaska, wi

Has anybody else noticed a slow down in the flathead bite this past week. Been out twice in the past week with only one fish to show for my time. Others I know have not had much, if any luck either. Had been fishing main channel areas but maybe its time to rethink that strategy. Any suggestions, or has the bite gone dead everywhere?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I found it extremely slow this past weekend. Only 3 bites for two nights and a day. Usually do much better than that. My guess is they are following the bait fish and are not in normal spots. Find where the shad are getting torn up by white bass and the like and fish the nearest cat habitat. Next weekend, I am heading deep into the sticks to avoid traffic and find some new fish.

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

Wednesday 8/20 I was out and had good luck. We got two nice ones and two small ones. We did have slow action for about 2-3 weeks previous though. I can’t wait until the fall bite!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

The last couple time out I struggled also. I havent been out enough to figure things out. I’ve never experienced water this low and I dont have time to explore. Some of my early season spots are completely out of the water!! Current is soo low I wonder if the fish scatter??? Mike T., without giving up your spots what kind of areas did you get the fish in??

daruoho
    Wauzeka

If the flow is low the fish should be concentrated in the deeper holes. sounds reasonable but I haven’t even had a bite in 3 weeks.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I wasn’t targetting flatheads this past Saturday, August 23rd, but I caught a 40.5″ at the tip of a wingdam in about 16 ft. I was running a Dubuque rig and it hit a leech on my trailer hook. The 4 size octopus hook grabbed the inside corner of its mouth. I thought it was a flukey thing until I did the same thing on another wingdam tip about two hours later. I didn’t get this one in the boat. I was trying to drag it away from the bouy anchor chain and the 4/0 hook on my jig straighten out enough to loose it. I have no doubt it was another big flathead…. my line came back all slimed up. It felt just as big as the first. These fish hit at around 10:00 am and noon. I was marking fish on both wingdams tips. The 40.5″ was my biggest fish of any species ever!

Hope this info. helps. I was fishing alone and didn’t get a picture.

Boone

smokey420
    kendall,wi.

was out last night(monday)pool 8 with a buddie who mainly fish’s bass he had about a 30 2 40 pounder on but got off at the side of the boat.he must of thought he was going to flip that thing in the boat like he had a bass on or something.tour the hook right out of his mouth.as 4 that,it was the only bite we had.

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

Dirk W., sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven’t checked the board in a couple of days. The spots I mostly fish have deeper holes with adjacent flats with quite a bit of downed timber. I think the key is to find current. Some of my other spots dried up because of too little current flow. I tried fishing the tip of a wing dam with little success. I will be heading out tommorrow evening. I will let you know if this still holds true.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.