New Bait Law in WI.. how will this effect us?

• t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

New DNR rule: No fish bait from outside Wisconsin allowed
    4/4/2007, 6:18 p.m. EDT
    By TODD RICHMOND
    The Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin anglers can no longer use imported bait unless it meets strict testing requirements or move fish off the Great Lakes or the Mississippi River under an emergency rule state wildlife officials adopted Wednesday to contain a virus that causes fish to bleed to death.

The rule is designed to slow the spread of viral hemorrhagic septicemia, which kills fish by causing massive internal bleeding. The virus poses no threat to humans.

The virus was discovered in Europe in the 1960s. It was found in the lower Great Lakes in 2005 and 2006. Wildlife regulators believe the virus has probably spread to Lake Michigan.

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources officials fear it could reach Lake Superior and the Mississippi River, leading to contamination of inland waters.

The Natural Resources Board voted unanimously to adopt the emergency rule, which will go into effect no later than Monday.

Under the rule:

_Possessing and using bait from outside Wisconsin that hasn’t been tested for the virus is prohibited.

_Possessing and using dead bait is prohibited except in Lake Michigan.

_Moving live fish and eggs from the Great Lakes and the Mississippi to other waters is prohibited, unless the fish or eggs test negative for the virus.

_Boaters must drain all water from bilges, ballast, buckets and live wells immediately after leaving the Great Lakes or Mississippi.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

_Possessing and using dead bait is prohibited except in Lake Michigan.

Whoa!! Does that mean No Cut Bait on the Mississippi? I’m not from Wisconsin but I hope Minnesota is not going there. I don’t like the sound of this whole thing

sallie

This new emergency rule on the virus has been posted under the Wisconsin forum, Mississippi river, Walleye. It was put out by the Wiconsin Natural Resources Board.
    I have a lot of questions. Since this was put out by Wisconsin is it going to impact Iowa and Minnesota. It just says Mississippi river.
    Also it sounds like if you have any leftover minnows you want to use the next day you’ll have to dump them in the trash at the boat landing.
    Is there anyone that has more information on this.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The latest release has just been posted in the general forum.

Along with the wording of the law itself.

pbitschura

Ok, fine. Now I live in Minnesota and hold a Minnesotsa licence. So I buy my bait in MN. I can only fish one line. But If I buy a WI licence too, I can fish two lines. But wait. If I buy my bait in MN, take it on the Miss. CAN I take it home. Can I fish two lines and take it home? I already have to drain my livewell and put the fish on ice to have them come home fresh. If I have aWI licence, is transporting live fish in my boat and draining in my driveway allowed? Should I find a lawyer to be my fishing buddy? I think I need a drink!!!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Ok, fine. Now I live in Minnesota and hold a Minnesotsa licence. So I buy my bait in MN. I can only fish one line. But If I buy a WI licence too, I can fish two lines. But wait. If I buy my bait in MN, take it on the Miss. CAN I take it home. Can I fish two lines and take it home? I already have to drain my livewell and put the fish on ice to have them come home fresh. If I have aWI licence, is transporting live fish in my boat and draining in my driveway allowed? Should I find a lawyer to be my fishing buddy? I think I need a drink!!!

Actually if you live in minnesota and buy a wi lisense and fish the mississippi, you can still only fish with one line and you can still only possess the daily limit of fish, unlike wi you can possess 2 daily bag limits.

You have to go by the state that you reside in if it is a bordering state to where you are fishing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Actually if you live in minnesota and buy a wi lisense and fish the mississippi,

to add to that..you’ll also get a ticket if you don’t have a MN licence.

pbitschura

I thought I said I had both licences. And if I pay for the right to use two lines, I’d like to challenge that. Maybe I should ‘Ask a warden”. Is there a thread for that?

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Quote:

I can only fish one line. But If I buy a WI licence too, I can fish two lines.

I just noticed this and was pointed out by a friend…in regards to two lines in border waters for a MN angler check out the MN DNR website on the regulations page 54: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2007.pdf

It clearly states: “two lines with a single hook are permitted” so MN anglers can use two lines. Anyone else confer?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sorry pbitschura.

I should have read closer.

WI residents and non residents can use three lines. If your from MN you may only use two, whether we hold a WI non resident license or not.

Since the WI CO’s only enforce the WI laws, a WI CO would not issue a ticket for fishing with three lines…however a MN CO would have an issue with that. There’s threads all over this site about the border water laws favoring the cheesheads.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

There’s threads all over this site about the border water laws favoring the cheesheads.

Just don’t let your fish cross the boarder, and I’ll keep an eye on ours over here

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s becoming law as we speak.

We are erecting a underwater fence to keep the WI fish out until they get the proper papers.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Does this mean you can’t keep bullheads at your house and take them to the river?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From my understanding, taking bullhead from your house fishing is not a problem. It’s just that you’ll not beable to bring the unused ones home because the water in the bait buckets/container will have to be dumped, the fish that are caught have to be dead and bait must be disposed of.

This is what I got out of my converstation with the fella that is in charge of this law.

By the way, this goes into effect this Sunday.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Yeah thats what I read too. Looks like it is time to put a drain in my livewell which is actually a converted 54 inch aluminum gun box. The ice dealers are jumping for joy right now. If you want to keep any fish you’ll have to bring ice with you now.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

It was already illegal to transport live fish in your livewell in many cases in Minnesota… any infested water(what isnt anymore?). You couldnt go to pool 4 and catch walleyes and leave your livewell full with a recirc pump and bring them home.

I think the law went further than that, to not transporting live fish at all other than bait unless they were sitting in a livewell of infested water.

This law really doesnt change much with fish.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I don’t know if I would want to test this on a CO. What if you get checked at the launch and they find a livewell full of bullheads. Didn’t you just transport live fish? Dave, I am talking about Wisconsin.

pbitschura

Thanks. Saw the reg. This has not been clear before. Bob at the Bait and tackle in LaCrescent and I have had question in the past to only one line.

Quote:

Sorry pbitschura.

I should have read closer.

WI residents and non residents can use three lines. If your from MN you may only use two, whether we hold a WI non resident license or not.

Since the WI CO’s only enforce the WI laws, a WI CO would not issue a ticket for fishing with three lines…however a MN CO would have an issue with that. There’s threads all over this site about the border water laws favoring the cheesheads.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.