hooking flats

• djbeagle
    Onalaska, wi

Help!

I am new to catching flats. I am not having problems finding them, but bringing them to the boat is proving difficult. I am using various types of 5/0 hooks with a 8-10 inch bullhead. When I get a strike I allow them to run for awhile then set the hook. I am losing more fish than I am bringing in the boat. I hook the bullheads through the lips starting on the bottom side and coming out on top. Should I be using a quick strike rig or different hooks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I’d suggest switching to a larger 10/0 hook such as a Mustad Big Gun Bait Hook 10829BLN or Gamakatsu Octopus Hook. You may have to check out a salt water catalogue or catfish web site to find them. Then hook the bullhead beetween the tail and the dorsal fin, not the lips.

Also, you may want to switch to a braid to help set the hook. When you set the hook with a braid your hook will pop out of your bait a lot easier. I use 80 lb Power Pro and love it.

You could also try down sizing your bullheads a bit to 5-7 inchers. If you use a quick strike rig make sure they are legal.

I usually dont let a flat run too long either before I set. Just make sure the slack is out and go for it.

Try the above and you should see your hook up rate go up.

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

Dirk

I see you have changed hooks… are you actually setting into the flats harder now. I have finally took your advice n the baitcaster’s!!! I guess I am kinda bullheaded at times as well…. I still like bluegills the best though!!!!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

There is hope in the world! What reel did you get? I’d use bluegills to if I could buddy.

mstrctmn
    Omaha, NE/ Fort Worth, TX

Here’s the method I use and it works great. The time it doesn’t is if you’re fishing VERY tight into snags. If you’ve got any room to spare, this is great. I am hoping you have baitcaster reels with clickers on them. When the clicker starts going, pick the rod up, point it straight at the fish and let him take some more line. Once he’s steadily moving off, take off the clicker, lift the rod tip to about 1 o’clock while letting the free spool take more line (don’t lock the reel in gear yet) Once you get your rod to 1 o’clock, lock it in gear and let the flathead pull your rod down. Once it gets to about 4 o’clock, HAMMER HIM! They will have the bait fully in their mouth 99/100 times when you do this. Also what dirk said about bigger hooks and hooking them behind the dorsal fine. You might also want to try 3 way rigs. Good luck.

Matt

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Sportsman Warehouse has the 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks, I think they go for 1.79 for a five pack. I just picked up a couple packs and am getting ready to go for the flats, I just need to get some lighting on my boat. I would like a mounted light for driving instead of holding up a flood light, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cattin_Accict

daruoho
    Wauzeka

I got a Go-light it’s a mounted 400,000cp spot that is remote controlled. It’s slick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.