Personal best…Flathead

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think this was another plastic bite. I’ll let Mike tell the story.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

..and the release.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s bitter sweet. Nice seeing a pig like that this time of year. Not to mention, during the day! I wish it wasn’t turning colder, I’d love to drag a small sucker or chub on the bottom.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Try an 18 inch walleye…

Dang, I can’t believe I typed that!

I wanted to get out there yesterday…but work you know…I was planning on going today because it looks so nice…then I let the boys out and figured I would turn the heat on and work out in the garage…cleaning 7000’s.

I notified Mike WI that the post was hear this morning, he should be around soon to fill in the details.

Channel cats, flats and sturgeon are all being caught between two wing dams. I can’t say which two because I know a walleye guide that will lift me up by my Johnsonville Brat if I do.

kristin

OK – Here’s the story:)

Our day started out by us razzin each other and betting who was going to catch the biggest fish…..

We were up in front of the Vermillion fishing for walleye’s last Saturday – Mike was way out fishing me (of course!). So I reminded him that I was going to catch the big fish of the day then….it wasn’t but 10 minutes later I was jigging just off bottom and UGH I got a snag I told Mike…so I’m pulling on it and pulling on it – then you will never guess what happend – the snag shook it’s head!!! WOW I said, this isn’t a snag it’s a fish – I couldn’t believe it!

So it took about 45 minutes to get it up to the surface for these pictures – every time we would think we were making progress the drag would go zooming out again and again. My arm and wrist were getting quite sore by this time and finally we got it up to the surface – WOWIE – that is the biggest fish I have ever caught, hooked right in the upper lip. We weren’t quite sure how to get it in the boat for pictures…too big for the net and all. So Greg tells Mike to grab it’s lower jaw/lip and hoist it up that way – worked perfect!!!

I was fishing with 6lb test and a cotton candy colored paddletail – AMAZING – what a great day out fishing!

While fighting the beast we were lucky to spend some time visiting with Greg “Vandy” and he was kind enough take these pictures and send them to us – THANK YOU GREG!!!

Happy Fishing,

Kristin

kristin

Brian~

Just wanted to thank you for posting these pictures for us – not sure if I could figure that out. I did however figure out how to get that picture as me

Kristin

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

6# Test!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Kristen, now you know why flatheads have a huge following!

Many people chase them and have a hard time catching one half that size…and you land one on 6 lbs test! Congrats!

I wonder if Mike could have done as well??

In case you don’t know, many of us use 80 lbs Power Pro while chasing them!

Glad you had fun.

PS will that be the Christmas card this year??

stuart
    Mn.

Nice fish,those are some great pics.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Awesome fish. Those things have got some oompf when they run and I’ve never caught one close to that size. That musta been a blast.

Nice job on walleye gear

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

6lb test and walleye gear. Now that is skill, I have trouble getting flats half that size to the boat with my 80’lb line and a 10′ cat rod.

larry_haugh
    MN

Nice fish Mates!!
    Any rough measurements?
    Looks about 35-45lbs. Thanks for sharing

hanson

That fish is nearing 50lbs. No?

kristin

We were guessing it was around 40 – 50 lbs but some of you might have a better idea.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Thats just a big freakin fish!

Has to be in the high marks, size it to the surrounding equipment. It could eat chunks of that boat if it wanted.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

That fish is nearing 50lbs. No?

The same old question for us Hanson. You know I’m a little conservative in guessing weights through pictures with out measurements. You on the other hand tend to be more generous with your guesstimate’s.
    It’s a big beauty either way. I could say that its probably over forty very safely. But for the mythical 50lbs…………… I don’t think that its quite there.
    As far a perspective JP threw out a good idea. That’s what I ended up doing because of multiple people shots. I was even having a hard time with that.
    Way to go on the fish…..again.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Is it spring yet?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The sun came out…that’s a start!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Kudos to Kristen and Mike.

What a great fish.

I would just like to say that they are great sportspeople.

They caught and released that fish with great skill and care. The photo with Mike holding the fish in the water was the catch and unhooking. Kristen was busy getting the camera ready. When she had that ready Mike and her switched spots, Kristen lifted the beauty up They took photos and she gently lowered her back in the water and away she went for another angler.

Great job guys. It was fun to witness the battle.

I do not know cats that well. But the day before I got one just like it and it had at least a 18 inch walleye half way down its throat. I was alone in the boat so I did not take photos. I figure laying her in my boat an screwin for the tripod would be to stressfull. I have caught four to date that size only took a photo of one. I think they are really a great fish and do not like to see them put through undo stress in the landing process.

I would have to agree with Larry on the weight I think that fish was between 38 to 44 pounds.

Who cares what it weighs look at the picture it is a great fish. Mike and Kristen did a great job with the CPRing of this fish.

Way to go

P.S. Your Welcome Kristen!

Also it is your story so I will back you on what ever you say. As the years pass they usally get bigger anyway!!!

I think that Mike needs to get one over 50 to beat you.

Take care hope to see you on the water again soon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks for the picture Greg, I’m thinking it made their day!

Did you know the last time you posted in the cat forum was almost 3 years to the day??? 11/25/03 08:37 PM

Welcome back…and don’t be a stranger!

ps the reason I check for your last post here was because I didn’t think you EVER posted here…and I wanted to congradulate you! See ya at Evert’s this weekend. Free beer and tackle while Deans away…as always!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.