Hey cat guys, I need HELP!!!!!

• fishin101
    Rochester, MN

I know absolutely nothing about catfishing and would like to get into it. I have no clue about where to look for them, etc. Any help or tips or any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,

Nate

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Fishin101!

Nice chunk of bait you have there in your avatar!

Are you planning on fishing the Zumbro…or the sippi. Channel Cats or Flatheads…boat or back fishing?

It’s difficult to just give general “tips” as it would take a week or two to type them all out… but I’ll do the best I can.

Searching through the history of this forum is a great way to gain general info for catting. There’s a TON of info here…more that I could ever tell you!

Try to narrow it down for me a bit if you can.

Thanks Briank

fishin101
    Rochester, MN

Mostly the Miss, Does the Zumbro have decent cats? Always fishin from the boat. As for channels or flats, I don’t really know. Like I said before I have absolutely no experince with cats, just the occasional fluke of catching them when fishing for other species. I am just trying to get a few tips of where to look and what to use as bait for what time of year, etc. I will do some looking at the older posts and see what I can find but any info you could share would be great! Thanks agian!

Nate
    P.S. THAT IS NOT BAIT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve seen some very nice channels come out of Zumbro. I’ll see if I can round up one of the guys from Rochester to help you out there.

The channels are bitting like sunfish by Evert’s Resort and around the Redwing area.

Basicly use a med heavy rod with 20 lbs line…sinker and a 4,5,or 6/0 circle hook…meat it up with cut up sucker and plop it down in the channel…’cause channel cats LOVE channels.

I’ll be down are Evert’s this Fri, Sat and Sunday…stop in, I’ll give you an ear full!

PS…see picture above….yes it is…BAIT!

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

We get some decent cats out of both Lake Zumbro and also the Zumbro River. Never any giant sumos though. Here’s a picture of a cat I caught last winter through the ice.

Tyler Holm caught a decent one last year too through the ice.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

P.S. THAT IS NOT BAIT

It is in Brian’s boat.

Take a look at the past fishing reports in the reports forum too. There’s even some video in there that explains how to rig for cats this time of year. Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.