General Catfishing Question

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I’ve been wanting to get some eater sized cats for a while now, i can’t seem to target them, i just happen upon them. What is the best bait i can use to catch some 2-3lbs cats for the freezer? Years ago my dad and I used these pre-made “stink balls” that came in a bag, and put them under “yo-bobs” and did pretty well. That was in a lake, but i’ll be fishing a river instead, so those aren’t really an option.

Also, how do you rig the bait? I’m planning on a swivel connected to some mono, then a treble hook. Thanks in advance!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

For a numbers of channel cats in the “freezer” range you mentioned…pick up some Sonny’s Super Sticky stink bait.

Rig up just like you mentioned…but put 2 1/2 inch drinking straw above the treble. Keep the straw dry and place it in the Sonny’s…cast out…if you don’t get bite in 10 – 15 minutes…move to a new spot.

Let us know how you do.

With a little practice, you won’t be freezing them as you’ll be able to catch those eaters anytime and fresh is always better than frozen!

BBROWN

Hey Brian, what do you recomend for the Red River? Leaving Saturday for a whole week of CAT fishing, can’t wait been looking forward to this all summer. My first trip to the cat creek.

Can you say: here Kitty Kitty.

Fisheye

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If your going to cat’s on the red…that’s easy! Just ask Stu!

Otherwise cut sucker is always good.

Good luck and bring back some pictures!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Anyone know of campgrounds that are still open on the red up around and north of Hallock? Catfish Haven shut down a few years back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.