new to catfishing

• perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i’ve never gone catfishing before, and neither have any of my buddies, well, if the weather works out, we were planning on trying it out saturday night. now, i’m not asking for anybody’s super secret spots, but, does anybody have any pointers for me on some areas to check out close to home? depth to fish? bait to use? is night better than day?

i live in hastings on pool 3

thanks

audemp
    Wi

Perch, Get on over to Evert’s Resort this week and ask for Brian He will get you on to those pigs in no time. He may even try to get you to buy some stink bait!

If your looking for the big boys (Flats) then you are in a great location (hastings) when you are at Evert’s ask Brian what equipment you will need. He has it all there for ya!

perch_44

i have some heavy rods i can use. i could go down to redwing to fish, but was hoping there are some spots or certain structure to look for in the hastings to prescott area.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hmmm “one step ahead of the warden”…I might need to talk with you!

What kind of cats are you looking for? Lots of action…or big ones?

perch_44

obviously to get into some big ones would be fun. but, i would rather be able to get some numbers, and maybe have that opportunity to tie into a big one or two. i just have no idea where to start with this, or what baits work the best. we’re gonna go out, have beverages, and hopefully catch some of those bearded walleyes

Quote:

Hmmm “one step ahead of the warden”…I might need to talk with you!

you wouldn’t happen to be part of local enforcement would you??? LOL

audemp
    Wi

Quote:

i have some heavy rods i can use. i could go down to redwing to fish, but was hoping there are some spots or certain structure to look for in the hastings to prescott area.

How heavy of rods are you talking? In my experience when a guy first starts fishing for Cats he usually underestimates the equipment needed to land these fish. Like I said get down to evert’s resort it is very close to you here is the link to get there. Evert’s Resort

perch_44

i know about everts, and i will probably swing in there. i’m looking more for some spots to start out at on pool 3, and what bait to use, etc. just a newbie here looking for some pointers. thanks

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I don’t know much about that stretch, but:

If you’re going to be chasing channels (you’ll probably get much more action), I’d find some big sucker minnows and hack them in half. I’d then put half of one on a 4/0 or so Gamakatsu circle hook. As far as what to attach that too, I’d go with some 50-80 lb Power Pro (you don’t need that heavy of line, but if you hook something big, you’ll want it) or 20-25 lb Trilene Big Game. Slide on a 2-3 oz slip sinker (depends on current, I like No-roll type). Then, a barrel swivel and a 8-12 inch leader to your hook. That should fit the bill.

If you want to try for flatheads, I’d go with the 80 lb Power Pro, a 10/0 Gamakatsu of Kahle hook, a 3-4 oz No-roll sinker, and shorten your leader to 6 inches or so. Then go with a lively bullhead for bait.

Look for current seams and snags and holes. NOt knowing that stretch of river, I can’t really tell you exactly what to look for, but cats will tend to hang out near the edge of some nice current to bring food their way.

Have patience. If you’ve never fished cats before, it is tough to place a bait and not touch your rod for a half hour, but sometimes you have to do that or wait even longer.

As far as gear, heavy bass gear or musky gear will fit the bill for channels, but it is generally ideal to have a softer, slower tip (a must for circle hooks). For flatheads, musky gear will get you by, but it is not ideal. An Abu Garcia 6500 is a bit light in most people’s opinion. Something the size of an Abu 7000 seems to work well with a stout rod (something as thick as your thumb at the base is not overkill). Again, you don’t really need a fast, sensitive tip, but you’ll need some power.

That should get you started. Of course, I can’t seem to catch a flathead, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

mr-special
    MPLS

I’m no Expert, But I’ve got my share of flats and channels. Right Ryan!!!!!

As for set/rigs. They’re pretty basic slip sinker rig. It consist of a sinker, swivel, leader and hook. A beefed up Lindy rig.

Weights range depending on current and bait. For most cases 1oz-4oz (No-Rolls or Bank sinkers) should do the trick. I prefer good quality Swivels of very high Test. Such as Spro’s or Berkley atleast #100. Trust me on this one don’t skimp on swivels, it can be the weakest link.

Then to a 6″-18″ leader of same test as mainline and the hook.

Hooks I prefer are Gama Octo 9/0-10/0 or 5/0-8/0 Khale’s for flats.

For channels I like Gama Circle or Mustad Demon’s in 2/0-6/0. But with circle hooks you’ll need a rod with a soft tip so the fish can load and rotate the hook into its mouth.

Bait:

For flats like very lively bait. Such as bullheads, creekchubs or suckers.

Channels will take live, but seem to prefer cutbait. I like to use fresh cutbait “still bleeding” vs. frozen. A large sucker or creekchubb cut into 1″ chunks should do the trick. But if your after just the big boys then half a sucker might work better.

As for locations, Look for snags, current break or holes. Being in hastings you have a great chance at channels or flats. The fishing pier at the Prescott launch has produce some very nice cats. Dusk and dawn are primetime.

Later and good luck

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I’m no Expert, But I’ve got my share of flats and channels. Right Ryan!!!!!

You can have all the little flatheads that you want, Phil. I’ll get a big one one of these days!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Perch, Get on over to Evert’s Resort this week and ask for Brian He will get you on to those pigs in no time. He may even try to get you to buy some stink bait!

If your looking for the big boys (Flats) then you are in a great location (hastings) when you are at Evert’s ask Brian what equipment you will need. He has it all there for ya!

Quote:

How heavy of rods are you talking? In my experience when a guy first starts fishing for Cats he usually underestimates the equipment needed to land these fish. Like I said get down to evert’s resort it is very close to you here is the link to get there. Evert’s Resort

How much are you paying this guy Brian?

Does he get something when he takes a shot at me, too?

schollmeier

I live in Prescott and can say that the pier does produce both channels and flats if only a bit on the sporadic side. Sprind/early summer are more consistant than mid/late summer. Anywhere on the pool where you find concentraitions of baitfish can produce cats, otherwise the advice the others have put forth is pretty good.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Only if it’s with a 9mm and double if he hits.

Pug, I swear…you’ve taken some of those drugs that I’ve read about in the 70’s.

I think I would concentrate my efforts around the Hastings dam. Lot’s of bait up there.

Here’s “tip of the day” go to the walleye forum and see where those guys are catching bait Flatheads are sure to be there too!

perch_44

thanks for the help guys. hopefully i can tie into a few, and catch a few fish too!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Only if it’s with a 9mm and double if he hits.

Pug, I swear…you’ve taken some of those drugs that I’ve read about in the 70’s.

Prozac wasn’t invented back then Brian! You should have known me before I caught my first flathead.

audemp
    Wi

Quote:

How much are you paying this guy Brian?

No pay, I just enjoy taking shots at you

Perch, listen to pug, he is the MAN! He uses 6lb test when fishing for flats!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Perch, listen to pug, he is the MAN! He uses 6lb test when fishing for flats!

Come on now, lets keep pugs small “pole” out of this conversations

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Why I outta!

That’s it, I am seeing if the Doc can double the prescription or I am taking 2 pills a day now! You people and your pole jokes, there’s nothing wrong with being 100% Polish ya know.

Oh, you were going another way with that joke, eh?

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I like to find a log Jam with a current seem or some other type of slack water. There needs to be current near by though. For flatheads Bull heads are the way to go, they are hardy and lively. For channels I’m kinda partial to chicken livers, they are available at most grocery stores. I just thread a liver onto a 2/0-4/0 hook and LOB them out near the log jam. The key word is LOB, they come off very easily so you have to cast them gently.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Someplace I heard that if you microwave (partialy) the chicken livers they stay on the hook better.

Don’t know that for a fact…reckon I never will…

larry_haugh
    MN

Just keep em in the container and set in the sun for the day.
    Then wrap in nylon, make sure to do it in the house.
    Thats what I did the first and only time I used liver. (not the in the house part).
    Never again will I view chicken liver the same.
    thanks
    Larry

mr-special
    MPLS

I heard Microwaved Mooneye works too.
    Or was that Shad Brian??

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yeah, and the favorite wife still won’t let him use the microwave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I thought I could get by with microwaving some suckers before the FW got home one day…set the timer a bit too high (again) and got busted.

Soon I will have the whole kitchen in the garage!

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Ok how do I get the microwave into the boat with me?? I normally buy them on the way out of town. Silly people you just have to learn the technique for casting them. It’s an art.

eyebuster
    Duluth

I’ve heard a lot about chicken liver. My family runs beef. Will beef liver be just as useful or is it just Chicken?

mr-special
    MPLS

I’ve never personally used it. But I do know people have used it with some success. I remember something about dropping them in boiling water for a minute to stiffen them up.

eyebuster
    Duluth

Thanks I will have to give it a try. Cant turn down free bait.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.