Flatheads are tricky SOB’s

• sheepheadmaster

I am originally from the Appleton area but go to school here at UWL. We have very few flatheads on the Wolf river where I fish, so I am not used to fishing for them. I have been going out using small blue gills and have been having problems getting good hook ups. They aren’t slamming the gills like I thought they would. They seem to often grab them and swim slowly towards the boat making it difficult to notice bites. Wondering what techniques are the way to go? How long should I let the cat take it for?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Are you sure you are not being harassed by turtles? They like to come straight to the boat, not that a flat head won’t.
    I play the how long thing by ear. I hate gut hooking a fish. I will start with trying a hook set right away with my first couple slams. If I’m not hooking up I will let them take it for a 10 count. There are nights that them flatty’s just seem to be a lot smarter than me I guess that is part of what keeps me going back

Bret

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

SHM…What type of hook are you using and how are you hooking the gills?

sheepheadmaster

Through the tail with a 5/0 hook. We’ve gone out a couple times and caught 6 or 7 flatheads, a couple in the upper 20# range, but have missed enough to get frustrated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.