POOL 5 CHANNEL CATS

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

HEY GUYS JUST CURIOUS IF THE POOL5 CHANNEL BITE IS GOING OUT NEAR THE FLAOT WAS THERE 3 WEEKS AGO AND THE BITE WAS BEGGINGING JUST CURIOUS I MIGHT RUN TO THE FLOAT TOMORROW AND ALSO ANY CERTAIN DIP BAIT FLAVORS THEY PREFER CHEESE OR SHAD OR BLOOD…THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS NEW TOT HE CATTING GAME

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I would stay away from the dipbaits as much as possible. Personal preference. Use cut suckers if possible.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have caught many a 10+ channel cat on Sonny’s blood bait. Also saw a friends pole fly out of the boat one day on an agressive bite. It is good to put both out and see which one gets bit better. I think the stink bait will bring them from a ways farther away then cut bait.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

YA I WAS ONT HE FLOAT LAST TIME AND SAW GUYS HAVE REALLY GOOD LUCK ON DIP BAIT

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I stand corrected

Shows what happens on my first attempt at GIVING advice on this forum!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I AM GIVING BOTH A TRY GOING SUCKER FISHING TONIGHT LOL

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

I stand corrected

Shows what happens on my first attempt at GIVING advice on this forum!

We ALL learn from everyones sharing. Sometimes certain things work for one person and then doesn’t work for another person. There are different dip baits and maybe some are better than others and/or someone may get a bad batch or doesn’t use it properly. Please don’t ever be afraid to share what works for you. Thats how we ALL learn.
    Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dfresh,

Dry those tears! I’m in the same boat as you!

But…in all fairness…I haven’t given any of those commercial baits a fair shake for a couple reasons.

1. It stinks. Favorite wife told me not to have stink bait and her in the boat at the same time.
    2. I generally have pleanty of sucker/mooneye in the freezer.
    3. Many catters have said cut bait is better for larger channels than stink.
    4 It stinks
    5. I don’t need any special hooks/tubes
    6. Generally speaking…cut doesn’t wash off the hook as stink does.

I’ve caught pleanty of over 10 lbs channels on live suckers too…but I wouldn’t recommend them for bait…

Very soon, I hope to be fishing with a stink baiter on P4 and in fishing side by side, compair the results.

Until then…when “I” go channel cat fishing…I’m a cut bait type of guy…which really doesn’t mean squat…unless you’re fishing with me and were to bring the bait!

But my official recommendation is….

As long as a person gets out and gets a line wet…use whatever you would like…just get out and fish!

“Catching is so over rated” – Dennis Steele

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Stink bait, the first time I was introduced to that stuff was at a Target store many many years ago when my oldest son Derek told me to pick the container up off the shelf, open it and smell it. PEWWWWWWWWW!!!! But I am determined to try it though.
    Thanks, Bill

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I was at Moore’s yesterday and this thread ALMOST tempted me to buy some stink bait. I finally came to my senses and bought suckers.

Again, this is a great store!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The first time I was introduced to stink bait was 24 years ago.

My not so favorite wife (at the time) made me change not so favorite (at the time) daughters diapers.

schollmeier

I’ve had good success with stinkbait from time to time. I don’t usually make it to pool 5 but I have caught channels there on stink. I’m a fan of sonny’s bait, for me you just have to re-apply every 15-20mins and wait… and wait… Usually a decent amount of current helps, the fish seem to smell it and work their way towards it. You dont’t catch anything for a hour, and then start catching them as they start to find it. That’s been my experience at least. I haven’t caugh too many big ones though on it though. I’ve caught several around 10-12lbs but none bigger and most are smaller (2-5lbs). The stuff works just keep it downwind and in the water for a long time.

Oh yeah, and when shore fishing it works great to keep people away who like to fish too close and cross your lines.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Oh yeah, and when shore fishing it works great to keep people away who like to fish too close and cross your lines.

I’ve heard so many good things about Sonny’s…next time I’m at Evert’s Resort…I’m buying a tin for when the rela-tics come to stay!

Open that up…with in the hour I’m fishing!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.