April Fools Cat Gathering

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ll take the initiative and be in charge of the “Big Fish Pot.” I won’t have a scale, so Dave or Brian or someone, bring yours. Here’s what we’ll do:

$1 to be in the pot. All the winnings (ohhh, there’ll be a lot, I’m sure ) will go to the person with the heaviest fish of the day. All fish wishing to be considered will be weighed on the same “official” scale. We’ll say that you can start fishing whenever you get there and must have your fish weighed by 6:00 pm. We’ll also require a witness so that Hanson doesn’t show up at 5:30 am and “catch” a 18 pounder Only cats qualify–no carp.

I think that’ll do it. Find me with your dollar. My real name is Ryan. Ask around to find me if you don’t know me.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Dave – I will bring a couple of dozen Brats and Buns, plus a ketchup and mustard and a big bag of chips to contribute to the food table. I’ll also bring some paper plates and napkins plus a garbage bag or 2. When I catch the Big Fish it will more than cover any expenses.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Steve.. make sure you talk to Brian before you grab anything. He was saying something about picking up some brats..

I’m going to grab some burger, hot dogs, buns, and chips of some sort.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Okay, see the dedicated “Big Fish” topic for final rules.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

First off and most importantly, can I bring some food too??? Maybe some potato salad and cookies?

Secondly what do I need to bring tackle wise? I went to my local gander (lakeville) and got some hooks, mustad ultra point Biggun catfish hooks, sizes 4/0 – 7/0 those should be good right?

What about bait what should I bring for bait? I was planning on getting a bunch of sucker minnows and cutting them up, Though gander in lakeville does not have any sucker minnows, wife wants to use chiken livers. So should I just try chiken livers too, or can someone tell me where I can get some sucker minnows or maybe, maybe even pick me some up when they hit the bait store, I’d gladly reimburse you for the bait.

Lastly ummm yeah anyone know whast I can do for sinkers? I have one 4oz no roll sinker, kind of screwed up, didn’t think about this until today, does someone have a couple I can buy or borrow for the day? or better yet is there any place that actually sells these no roll sinkers that I can drive to and get some?

Nick (well prepared as usualy )

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hey Nick – Most of us will probably be using fatheads on about a #2 circle hook. Fatheads have been pretty effective the last couple of weeks. Just string 2 or 3 fatheads on the hook, you can pinch a couple or all of them off in about the middle (kind of like you do for ice fishing) to get the entrails sending out a nice scent trail. With the cold water most of us have downsized our bait and have gone to smaller hooks. The last few weeks a #2 size hook has been working just fine.

There is not that much current where we are fishing so don’t get to hung up about no-roll sinkers. Any sinker will do (egg sinkers or bell sinkers). We are making some long casts so something in the 1 or 2 oz size to help lengthen the cast helps. See me when you get there and I can fix you up with some no-rolls to get you through tomorrow if you want some no-rolls.

Don’t bother chasing down sucker minnows, if you want some cut bait a number of us will have some cut up shad or mooneye and I suspect some suckers too. We will all be sharing so you can help yourself. I will have a bag of shad and you can have as much as you need.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I agree with everything said by Commanchero. Don’t get too hung up if you can’t find everything recommended or if you’re new to the cat game. You can certainly borrow things tomorrow and see how we are set up.

wastewaterguru

See y’all tomorrow. I will have the daughters with me. Don’t know how much fishing we’ll get in, but just as much fun will be had socializ’n

Later,

John

nick
    Lakeville, MN

OK, so I’ll just come with what I have

WOW wwg has finally made it to the best site Good to have you aboard

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

wastewaterguru!

See you down there!!!

Fishing…yakking…don’t matter…in fact, a famous cat guy told me once….”catching is so over rated!”

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I just wanted to tell everyone to have fun at the GTG.

If I was not working 12 hours on Sat. I, a brown bass guy, would have made a point to stop by and see everyone.

Good luck,
    Ron

david_scott
    Twin Cities

welcome to the site WWG(John)!

We will see you down there tomorrow.. you’ll get plenty of fishing in. I’m sure there will be plenty of kids running around and keeping pretty busy.. lots of adults around to help keep their eyes open too… that really helps.

Brian.. I have a couple folding tables.. and some saw horses if I need to make another. Sorry I didnt contact you earlier.. got stuck painting.

If anyone wants to bring something more for food.. feel free. If I had half the extra time I did when I thought of this gathering.. I would be better prepared!

Oh well.. the fish arent going to know what hit them, and everyone should have a good time. The weather looks great, we might even see some sunshine… and its not going to be windy.. I would expect it to be a bit wet.

See ya’ll tomorrow!

vern
    Richfield, MN

Nice to meet some of you guys last weekend. Even when you’re not fishing it’s fun watching those rod tips for action. I might stop by again tomorrow afternoon. Have fun!
    – Vern

hanson

Quote:

…in fact, a famous cat guy told me once….”catching is so over rated!”

Wasn’t me, was it? ‘Cause I don’t know about you but I like to get them darn things into shore.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

no, it was the OTHER famous cat guy!

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Anyone have a coffee can or something for cigarette butts?? Just a thought….(Low impact fishing in the city).

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good call Hayward!

Just put two cans in the truck!

My winning cat is waiting for me!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

coffee hasnt kicked in… forgot what I was going to say

Going to be a good day out there today! I’m just choking down my morning coffee.. loading up the van and getting everything in line shortly.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

…in fact, a famous cat guy told me once….”catching is so over rated!”

Sounds like loser talk to me

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

When do we expect them to start biting?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

When do we expect them to start biting?

Right when my line hits the water!

They can bite at any time. If you have a fish near your line you will get a bite. It doesnt make a difference what time it is. Sometimes theres a great bite at noon.. other times its afternoon.. right place, right time is what it comes down to.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

The anticipation is killing me! Just waiting on a call from a buddy, then I’m there!

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

WOW!! Look at this place… its hopping!!! Can’t wait to see everyone down there!

Ryan… I got mine and Tyler’s $1 all ready for ya. Thanks for taking charge of that for us!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

For some reason, I foresee Tyler taking the pot home with him

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Where are my “On the water updates?!?!”

Darn Sport show!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Very, very slow fishing today. I fished from 11-6 and landed two fish, and no one really seemed to have the ticket today. Most people got a fish or two, but wastewaterguru was really the only one who got more than that.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ll lay the blame on you not being there, dtro It was a fairly disappointing day fishing-wise, but the weather, food, and company were great, so I can’t complain about spending the day there!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If the weather man is right, you got lucky on the weather. Looking forward to some stories and pics.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Kooty, what are you doing here?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Kooty, what are you doing here?

He should have taken a left at the walleye forum…instead..the right he took put him smack in the middle of “Whiskerville USA” !

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 218 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.