April Fools Cat Gathering

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It would be nice if a note was dropped either here or by pm…

That way we would know about many were coming…for various reasons…

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Yes.. I suppose it would be helpful to have an idea of how many people are coming..

I am going to start another post and hopefully we can get a good estimate.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

And so I find this thread a month after my name’s mentioned, I will be there and the wife is comming too, I suppose I’ll need another cat rod, darn…

Now I’ll go back and read the rest of the thread

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Better late than never! See ya then Nick!

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Its about time, Nick! Seeya there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Pre fishing for the April Fools day gathering today was …well…mixed.

I think everyone I saw had a peck or two…and if the were lucky (?) enough to get a hook set had a chance to kiss a cat!

I saw fish caught along at least 300 yards of river bank. Some area did better than others…but there was fish being caught in this large area!

Here are some more 2002 first wet water cats!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

First off! My favorite wife (aka William R Brasky).

Yes, being the hubby of a wife that doesn’t want to hold ANY fish…we have to be a little creative!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Catten Addict doesn’t fool around with the smaller ones!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Fisher Dave the Urban Expertâ„¢ taking it easy today…although his stick was smoking again!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Comancharo made it down to land 3 fighters!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And of course the Pro Fishhead was practicing for the big fish pot!

There were many other caught…but not on camera.

All in all, this is looking like it’s going to be a fish catching April Fools day gathering!

Nice to meet you and your dad Steve W! See ya Saturday!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mile 832…a bit upstream from his handle for the first ’06 wet water cat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Fishhead and Dave with there double…(nice hat Dennis! )

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Yes.. the fishing has slowed down a bit for the last couple days. The water temp in the spillways dropped some which I think is to blame. The precipitation forecast for this week, and warmer temperatures are sure to warm it right back up, and probably give the river a couple degrees at the same time.

If the forecast is accurate, including being decent next saturday(weather)… its possible it could be one of the best fishing days of the spring.

fishhead
    Chaska

Even though it was slow yesterday, I had a great time. Got my first open water kitty for 2006.
    It was great meeting some new catmen too! Great bunch of guys!

Thanks Dave, for sharing your catfish hole with everyone!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Great BUNCH of guys down there yesterday! I was getting flashbacks of fishing the PA steelhead run with all the fishermen! Most definitely more of a social event than a fishing event.. but just enough fish caught to keep it interesting. We had quite the *crew* there, and another crew the size of ours showed up and doubled the number of people fishing the direct area.. I know I have never seen that many cat rods in one place before.. and it was getting pretty difficult to remember who’s rod was who’s when you tried to make someone aware of a bite.

The warmer weather is going to be here this week. There is going to be lots of change happening down there. The snow is just about gone now, and will be history within a day or 2. The river temps have to climb a couple degrees, the runoff will warm up. The weather forecast as of now is saying partly cloudy and 50 for next Saturday(event day).. I hope it holds true. That would make it stable weather after an unstable week and that is usually good for the fishing(knock on wood).

Please take note everyone.. even if it is warm outside, please bring some extra clothes along because the breeze can be a bit chilly if its coming off the water! Most of the area has mulch(wood chips) on the ground and snow melt and previous precipitation are generally not that much of an issue.. but with the rapidly warming temps and rain forecast for this week, I would not be surprised to see some soft spots so tennis shoes may not be very practical in some areas. Other areas have a concrete ground and a fence for those who may be bringing younger children…

So Brian .. dont wear your spandex, or your pink dress.. and something other than your *heels* or jogging shoes is a good idea!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

pitz0022

I was kicking around the idea of stopping by for a bit. How much weight do I need on the line? How much extra do I need (are there a lot of snags there)?

mr-special
    MPLS

It’s pretty snag free for the most parts. A 1oz-3oz No-roll, or bank sinker should be fine. Yesterday was a little windy so we had to use 2-4oz to keep a tightline.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Call me Mr Lucky Jeff… but in 5 or so days of fishing, I haven’t broke off…bent a hook straight though.

I’ve been using 2 oz until yesterday with the wind…I switched to 3 and should have gone to 4 as fisher Dave did. It’s safe to say that if you get broke off too many times…that someone will have an extra weight laying around for you!

See ya Saturday!

mr-special
    MPLS

How big was that kitty? Looks to be atleast #10+.

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

While we were down there I didn’t notice any biffies. Are their some near by? Do they allow barbecues down there? Forecast looks a little better now so I hope I can talk the wife into it. I’m not sure who is chasing who!
    50 degrees and clear skies.

Ron

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

There is a portable biffie in the parking lot up by the lock Headquarters building. It is only about 1 minute away if you drive to it or about a 5 or 6 minute walk.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

While we were down there I didn’t notice any biffies. Are their some near by? Do they allow barbecues down there? Forecast looks a little better now so I hope I can talk the wife into it. I’m not sure who is chasing who!
    50 degrees and clear skies.

Ron

Nice screen name Homer. The only reason you need a biffy is cuz you wee wee sitting down!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

There is a biffy at the top of the hill as stated. There is also a restroom building at the top of the hill next to the road.. I dont know if its open yet.

There was a couple biffy’s at the bottom of the hill more most of the winter… I dont know why/when they took them out.

If you dont have to use the facilities sitting down.. its easy enough just to go down the road a little further and find a tree to water

If I still had my motorhome I would bring it down for people to use the facilities.. but I dont have it anymore.

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

My son just called. They have caught 17 so far today. They got there at about 2 and its 5:45 right now.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Well, I made it back from Mexico and I’m ready to catch some cats again! Can’t wait. I might make a trip down tomorrow afternoon if the weather cooperates.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Ron, I did see some guys today (Wed) catching a bunch, must of been your son?

Anyway I finally got my first cat. (Well I did catch one accidently about 10 years ago, so I’m not counting that one).

I brought my wife for good luck. Now she wants to catch some. Great, now I have to buy some more gear.

I’m going to try to make it down Saturday.

I shouldn’t post this little one, but here it is:

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Looks like when we get past this crappy weather today, tomorrow will be a nice day to haul in some kitties! I am ready for this Cozumel is great, but I need to get my hands slimy

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I know I’m ready to do some fishing. I havent been out since monday? Thats a new record for me.

I will have my big BBQ down there and I will be making up a pile of burger, hot dogs, and brats for sure. I’m sure we’ll grab some chips and things like that… nothing real complicated, but some good food none the less.

Anyone will be welcome to come over and grab a plate until the food is gone. I will have the grill somewhere near the wrap around parking lot, or the downstream spillway(same area, most room). The food that will be there will be free for the taking. There will be a donation jug somewhere for anyone wanting to pitch in to help cover the cost of the food.

I’m not sure who will be in charge of the *Big Fish Pot*. I think we should put a time limit on it.. maybe end around 6 pm so the potential winner doesnt have to hang around until midnight for the last desperate die-hard to quit fishing? If the winner does have to leave early, we will be sure the pot makes it to the winner one way or another.

I will see everyone down there tomorrow!

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 218 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.