April Fools Cat Gathering

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

My average hook up ratio is 1/10 and that’s on a good day.

this is true.. but you also get 5 times the bites of anyone else when you start fishing.

I swear he looks like Zoro over there trying to set the hook because he constantly has bites.. me, I just sit there and toss pennies into the river like a giant wishing well.. if the wish doesnt come true for a bite.. maybe I am buying the bite by the time I get one?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Phil,
    Maybe you can put on my bullhead and cast for me? Then, I’ll let you take a picture with the fish

mr-special
    MPLS

Sounds like a plan.
    I also have a habit of setting my rod far away from me and then have to run towards the rod. It’s about the only workout I get. I started using C-hooks just to help the hook up ration, but it has mad a big difference either. Now my excuse is to buy a circle hook rod.

Later

fishhead
    Chaska

Phil, you just have to set that beer down. Your hook up ratio will increase. Believe me, I tried it once .

mr-special
    MPLS

I went to C-hooks for that reason. Juat let it load up the rod and finish your beer first. But I’ll try that this season if you say so.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Fishhead, that’s not true! I fished with you for a weekend and you never had a beer in the boat while fishing. Remember?

Dang you were crappy that weekend!

fishhead
    Chaska

Quote:

Fishhead, that’s not true! I fished with you for a weekend and you never had a beer in the boat while fishing. Remember?

Dang you were crappy that weekend!

Think about it.
    Thats the only time we ever boated any fish together.

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

I’m going to head down there in a couple hours and see if I can get something to bite. I should be at the park and fishing by 9am and probably done around 3:30pm or so. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

No digital camera yet so you guys are gonna have to take my word on how good the fishing goes for me

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Manny, definitely post an update (or PM me if you want). I figured on heading down there sometime this week. Unfortunately, I’ll be sitting here at work the entire time you’re fishing, or I’d join you!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I stopped down there yesterday and there was still some ice down there, although its very fish-able. We need this weather to break for good.

I might stop over there in a while to see what happens.. I will see if I can dig far enough into my pockets to buy a fishing license… darn vehicle!

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Well, I didn’t catch any cats today. There’s still a good-sized chunk of floating ice, but that’s more towards the lower lock and it wasn’t in the way of the area I was fishing. Might still be a little early yet. Tried for some crappies too, but they haven’t showed up yet either. I’ll be trying it again later this week.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So we all have that cabin fever going on, eh? I am going to try and make it. Haven’t fished with my mentor Dave or Sherry, Tyler, Manny or Ralph in a long time. I’d bring some green carp for bait, but you know we are all about catch and release. I tried Mill Ruins already once. I guess I was a little early. I went by there 2 weekends ago and tragically saw a dead 1.5 pound channel pinched on the barrier where the storm sewer water flows out in to the river. I might hit it next weekend (18th) if the weather stays warm.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve been wondering where you’ve been!

I think walleye season is closed there…isn’t it Dave? That’s not part of P2 where it’s open to catch and release all year.

I’ll have to check the laws again.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Yes.. the walleye season is closed there. It is pool 1.

I stopped down there yesterday just before the rain hit. I did have a bite in the short 15 minute trip(didnt know the rain was that close). It was windy and cold. The wind did clear out the remaining ice. There was one chunk floating around.

Let it rain, and let it warm up out there a little bit and these fish will be biting. Its running a little late this year, the weather isnt helping much.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What size weights would you guys/gals suggest for fishing for cats with small minnows at Mill Ruins? Has anyone used those “Snagless” sinkers from Lindy/Little Joe? It would be great if they worked, especially at $4-5 bucks a pop.

*don’t forget to get a new license!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d say 1, 1.5, or 2 ounce would probably work best for channels at Mill Ruins. Never tried the Lindy’s–I stick with no-rolls–they’re much cheaper. I’ve also never had much of a snagging problem down there.

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Don’t forget to check out the newest Fishing Report, guys!! We had some action at this spot yesterday!!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Everybody go back into hibernation with that little bit of white stuff? Fish are still biting and its only getting better!

The weather this far looks promising! I dont trust weathermen.. but 50 degrees would not surprise me… neither would lightning if the weatherman said sunshine

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Hibernation? I froze my a$$ off with you yesterday

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s one reason I didn’t go…that wind was raw!

Sounds like Comancharo, Catten Addict will be down there Wed afternoon. We just want to make sure there are pleanty of cats in there for the April 1 gathering.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

huh? I didnt know i was going anywhere wed afternoon what time are we talking about

CA

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well, I was going to call you!

Got caught up scrapebooking…

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Hibernation? I froze my a$$ off with you yesterday

You know Ryan.. I think that statement would be more significant if the 2 joggers didnt run by topless (male joggers unfortunately)!

Chilly or not, that 10 pounder looked good yesterday. Nothing wrong with the 2-6 pounders either. The crappie looked really nice.

TODAY I AM NOT FORGETTING A CAMERA

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Regardless, it was a bit cold Topless girls running by would have made me stay a bit longer, though! Wish I would have seen that crappie. Good luck today.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

TODAY I AM NOT FORGETTING A CAMERA

I was going to mention that to you buddy! Don’t make me dream!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I was going to mention that to you buddy! Don’t make me dream!

Oh boy, here he goes again dreaming of catchin cats. Will one of you guys please show him how to catch cats? Me too! Keep talkin guys, I’m learnin.
    Thanks, Bill

Rick22

How do you register for the “Event”. I think it is great and would like to join with my 16 yr old grandson, do I need to register or just show up> Thanks

mr-special
    MPLS

That’s the best part.
    IT’S FREE

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

No need to register. It’s just an informal gathering of folks who love these whiskered adversaries and for those who’d like to give it a shot. Just show up and be ready for some fun.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

As RW said.. no registration needed. This is an informal event.. or just a bunch of folks going fishing. Everyone is welcome to come on down and wet a line and have a good time.

There will be anyone and everyone to newbies to fishing guides all with the same goal.. to get out and have a good time!

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 218 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.