April Fools Cat Gathering

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Thanks for checking it out, Dave. Sounds like some cool temps this weekend so it may get skimmed over again. I noticed a lot of floating ice upstream towards Coon Rapids and Brooklyn Park. Does that ice create problems downstream towards St Anthony Falls? We should see some moderating temps in the next week or two. I’ve never been down by St Anthony Falls but I followed your posts from last year and it sure did sound like fun. I may try to get down there the next nice day we have just to check it out and try to get an edge up on you home town guys. Fatheads are the ticket, is that right?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Fatheads work the best for me.. they like little stuff early in the year. I have had luck on other baits.. very small pieces of sucker, tullibee, mooneye, even smelt. Nothing seems to work better than the fatheads with any regularity.

The upstream ice will not be a problem. The area we will be fishing is located between the 2 St Anthony Locks. If Ice makes it over the upper dam, it will continue over the lower dam within minutes. I can only recall a couple mornings last march there was any ice out there. The ice that formed overnight did not last long… Its still early right now. All we need is a little warmer temps and things will start to happen in a hurry. The tug is still in the area, I dont think they are going to let it freeze very hard.. The barge guys arent making money if the boats arent moving.

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

That’s the place, Steve.

WalleyeGFA

Me and mine will be there barring unforseen work BS !!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Alright…now we are on a roll!

blufloyd

Wondering how long it takes to blast up there from Peoria, Il area? Told the cleaning lady who is going to be battling lymphoma about her chance to visit twin great grand kids today. I love catfishing.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

450 miles .. or 6 1/2 hours… thats a haul for some kitties.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

and you’re driving how far in search of the blues, Dave?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

559 miles, 8 hours 21 minutes.. so whats your point?

Theres 2 open seats, 1 guy had to back out, want to join for a long weekend fishing trip?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d love to, but I can’t do it this year.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

We should be able to track the water temp for St Anthony Falls from this website: http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/projects/SAF.shtml

I drove down there Sunday just to find the place and check it out. It was skimmed over with ice but it sure does look fishy. So are we going to start a $1 pot for the bggest channel of the day? I’ve got my buck in hand but I don’t expect to lose it. You guys got home court advantage – who else is in?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I have no problem throwing a dollar or three into a big fish pot!

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Count me in on the big fish pot!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I have a number of IOU’s for a buck each..can I throw those in!???

I’m in.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Why not? Count me in.

mr-special
    MPLS

Hi Everyone,

I’m in the pot also. My ??? is why didn’t anyone tell me about this site sooner? Anywho I’m on board and ready. Dave, Manny, Ralph, I’m thinking we’ll need to prefish this spot pretty soon, what ya say guys?

Later

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Mr. Special,
    I think prefishing is definitely in order. Next week should be a good time to start.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I told you this site existed last fall Phil! It must not have registered.

Welcome to the site. You will be glad you found it… gauranteed. Lots of good guys, good element, and lots of good general information shared. Your not going to get GPS coordinates to anyones secret spot, but these guys will sure help you find the fish and tell you how you can catch more of them…

And then there is BrianK.. none of us are quite sure what his purpose is yet! But, he’s a good guy and fun to pick on!

mr-special
    MPLS

I won’t need GPS coordinates, I’ll just follow your vehicle. You’d better hope you can shake me someday bud. Ralph next weekend might just workout.

Later

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Hey Phil

Welcome to IDA! Sorry we never got out on the ice together this winter but I’m sure we’ll all be rubbing elbows real soon down at the cattin’ hole

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Welcome Mr. Special!

Prefishing!? Are you trying to get an edge on that pot?

N32.123.333 W143.533.345 is Fisher Dave’s super secret spot. No need to follow him. Sharing info is what we are all about!

If you haven’t already, check out the Private Message feature. Watch for the flashing envelope in the top center of your screen. Click on it and you will be taken to your PM’s. Also clicking on “MY HOME” will take you there too.

That’s where the detailed info is shared and many great fishing outings have started.

Glad to have you joining our little group…and feel free to pick on me anytime you would normally kick the neighbors dog….

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Glad to have you joining our little group…and feel free to pick on me anytime you would normally kick the neighbors dog….

Hey.. if the neighbors dog is too mean to kick, just drop it off at Brians house and let him deal with it!

Need the GPS coordinates?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Prefishing!? Are you trying to get an edge on that pot?

I planned on catching a piggie beforehand and tying her up so I get the pot.

mr-special
    MPLS

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Hopefuly I too will have a fish worth an avator. All this catin talk is really making it hard for me to do anything esle. I’m currently looking for a rod just for Mill Ruins. You know 8′-10′, good backbone, soft tip, and can sling bait out a 1/4 mile. Now bring on the kitty’s.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m sure you will as soon as they wake up!

Seems to me I heard about you and some piggy walleyes a while back…wasn’t that you?

ps Don’t worry, we’ve all fished for bait before…you’re among friends!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Mr Special has a hookup ratio like no other person I have ever known!

mr-special
    MPLS

Actually yeh, the last few season I’ve gotten into some pig wally’s but they don’t look as pretty.
    My average hook up ratio is 1/10 and that’s on a good day. That’s how Mr Special came about, a bud told me it takes a Special person to miss as many bites as I do. I miss more bites then most people get in a year. I think fish can smell an easy meal.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Your luck will change soon Phil.. until then its fun to watch!

I’m going to get you into a good flathead this year.. mark my words.

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Quote:

Your luck will change soon Phil.. until then its fun to watch!

I’m going to get you into a good flathead this year.. mark my words.

I hope I’m there to see it! I don’t think I’ve seen Phil catch a fish yet.

Hi Phil!! Glad you found us. Seeya April 1st, if not before!

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 218 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.