April Fools Cat Gathering

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

This is a great opportunity for everyone to get out this spring and have a good time. The channel catfishing can be nothing short of fantastic with the average fish going anywhere from 2 – 10 pounds with larger fish caught regularly. Seasoned veterans, novice anglers, and anyone interested in getting into catfishing should attend. This is a perfect opportunity to learn, and share information while meeting some good people.

Mill Ruins Park is located on the edge of downtown Minneapolis between the 2 St Anthony Falls dams/locks. I will post a map later, and give driving directions.

Date of the gathering will be April 1st(saturday) at 12:00 noon – whenever your tired of fishing.

There is ample parking close to the water, and the shoreline is very friendly(but elevated). If anyone wants to drag along a barbeque or anything of that nature, there is plenty of room. If anyone has an extra long handled net, or drop net.. its a good idea to bring it along.

What to bring

Heavy bass or walleye gear is ideal. 10# mono and a rod that can cast 1 1/2 oz of weight a good distance is fine(weight dictated by water level and current). Simple terminal tacke consisting of weights, barrel swivels, and hooks (#2) should be fine.

Bait .. A scoop of fatheads should cover a persons needs. We use 2 on a hook(small bait presentations) early in the season with the best results. You are more than welcome to bring any bait you wish.

Lawn chair and rod holders.. there is some concrete seating in some areas, and a railing for a portion of the park area which works good for a rod holder. Other areas there is nothing to prop a rod on.. I highly recommend a rod holder.

Please keep in mind that Mill Ruins Park is a Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board city park. The possession of alcohol is prohibited. If you choose to bring a beer.. its at your own risk of a ticket.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

This isn’t an April Fools joke!!

Dave, do you have the photo’s from last year?
    Might want to post some of them.

I’ve fished there courtesy of “The Urban Fisherman” Fisher Dave and it’s a very nice place to fish with early season fish to be had.

I’ll be there with camera and long handled net along with my fishing equipment.

Great idea to get away from the early season Blues!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I found some picures from last spring and summer!

I’ll try to keep this in order.

Octavious at the top (non internet user)

blacksportsman(Manny) and Drews Dad(Joel) int he 2nd row

Got Fish?(Jeff) and hanson(chris) in the 3rd row

Ralphthenoober(Ralph) int he 4th row

Myself in the flannel, and Tom from Minnetoka Outdoors in the last row.

These are only a few of countless pictures from last year at that location. Most of these pictures came from March of 2005, with a couple mixed in from summer.

fishhead
    Chaska

Barring any unforseen tradegedy. I’m there.

I get to hang with Daves Crew!

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Seeya there Brian and fishhead!!!
    I hope more of you guys will join us.
    Dave has the photos now and is working on posting some…

I just wanted to add that this is a really kid-friendly place to fish. There is a nice high railing all around the water. We have taken Tyler there many a times and he always has a blast.
    If you’re bringing kids, you may want to bring along some nightcrawlers for them. Carp, Sheephead, and the like bite there too.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Sherry mentioned some of those *other species*. Its a good idea to grab a couple extra rods. This area has some good multi specie fishing. You should be able to sight-fish carp in the back channels for a litle extra excitement.. and crappies can be found in pretty good numbers and size.. You never know what will end up on the end of the line down there.

A mermaid with 3… arms? It is the river!

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Oh, you bet I’m there The early season channel cat bite can be pretty awesome! Good choice on the date, too. Definitely works for me.

Here is one pic I dug up from 3-28-05 at Mill Ruins Park

Ralph(thenoober) and Marcus

Man, I can’t wait.

Dave’s right about the beer. I’ve taken my chances and smuggled in a six-pack on occasion, but I would not reccommend it. It’s a pricey ticket should the police decide to bust ya for it. Plenty of bars nearby if some of you guys wanna get together for a couble brews after the fishing is done.

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Yay! Manny’s coming!! Anyone else???

P.S. I think thats enough pictures of Ralph. We don’t want his head to swell.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Man, that looks like a blast
    I have an eye torney coming up then

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

It would be MUCH more fun to hang out with us River Rats, Bret!!!

Good luck at your tourney.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Eye tourney Bret? You just read the part about no beer!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That was my thought Mike….He’s kind of a Nancy in that way…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I take it this is a shore fishing get together. Am I correct? [even I can be correct once in my life Briank ] Could be a very fun way for a catin newbie to learn more about catchin cats.
    Thanks, Bill

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I’ll be there! Fishing down there is a hoot! And Dave, Sherry, Tyler, Manny, and Ralph are lots-o-fun! Brian is kind of a pain; but an ipod takes care of that…. Just kidding!

dd

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bill, it’s shore fishing at it’s finest! You are correct once again…it would be a good time to try out your ugly stick!

Quote:

but an ipod takes care of that

..now are you saying I talk too much there Mr MOM?!

Seems to me you it was about midnight one night last summer and you wanted to teach me how to sing the planet song???

How did that go again?

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Quote:

..now are you saying I talk too much there Mr MOM?!

Seems to me you it was about midnight one night last summer and you wanted to teach me how to sing the planet song???

How did that go again?

I remember that!! Joel knows alot of cool songs.

Looks like we’re gettin a fun bunch together, guys!!
    Bill, we’d be glad to have you join us.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I definetly know a lot of cool songs. The toddler crowd just digs me Adults just tend to smile and shake their heads.

dd

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh Joel…don’t take me wrong…it was a cool song!

well…it’s just that….well, I can’t sing either!

dark30
    Belle Plaine, Mn.

I’ll be fishin browns April 1st (BUT) I’m looking forward to a few nights up there in March!

Where’s Ralph the Noodler been?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dark, last I heard his boss gave him the day off….unfortunatly it was the day that NY recieved all the snow and his flight home was canceled!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Where’s Ralph the Noodler been?

We will see Ralph again when he gets laid off or fired… thats about what he has to do to get a day off!

Too bad you cant make it dark.. I suppose special trips are ok for bait(trout). I have no doubt you will be lurking around in March, I wouldnt be surprised to see Fish-head either.

So far it looks like..

Sherry and Myslef (tyler too)

Brian (and possibly wife if its 60 and Brian brings electric blanket)

Manny

Fish Head

Joel (Drews Dad)

We can do better than that!

I am sure more people will gain motivation when the weather warms slightly, their local lake is covered with ice.. and come to the realization we are going to be having fun without them!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

That was my thought Mike….He’s kind of a Nancy in that way…

You sure pick up on things quick Brian

hanson

If I’m in town, I’ll be there.

May be some late ice Pike Fishing on Lake of the Woods that I have to get after about that time of year.

Tentatively Yes.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Walleyes by day, kitties by night maybe for me!
    I’ll see what I can do..
    Tuck

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m definitely in. I’ll bring my long-handled net so that you guys can net my fish. Great idea, Dave (and Sherry). I’ll see if my lady will come, too, and maybe another friend or two.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It’s awfully quiet when Noober’s not around!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ralph W…

As long as you don’t say…”I almost netted Briank’s big one” we’ll be ok!

Noober! Where are you!?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Uh, we are talking fish here, right?

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Whew!! I’m glad you’re coming, Ryan! I will need you to net my BIG fish!! The rest of these guys get a little jealous when I show them up… never know if I can count on them.
    And your friends are welcome too! The more the merrier!

Hope you can make it Chris and Chris!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

LOL, Sherry. I’ll net your fish as long as Tyler touches my minnows for luck!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 218 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.