If at 1st you don’t succeed, try try again!!

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Since 4 April I have been skunked 14 times on the St Croix. My last flathead was a tiny 4.5 lb flat caught on 24 May. Fishing conditions are tough right now, river is at its lowest flow at 675.2′ and the water temp is coming down at 74 degrees. It has been a tough year but last night made the wait all worthwhile.

At midnight I had a run on my bullhead rod and when I set the hook it tried to pull me out of the boat. I had a heck of a fight with her and when she finally came into the light I thought I had caught some kind of monster. I had her halfway in and my other cut bait rod took off and I had a double going with this big one still in my hand. After I boated her, I got the other rod in and it had a huge turtle on it.

I only picked up one fish but she was a beauty. She bottomed out my 50# digital scale and on my cheapo 110 lb spring scale she pulled the marker to 55 lbs. I don’t have a lot of confidence in that scale but she is at least 50 lbs. I lift a lot of iron and this one was a tough bicep curl. This fish made the wait all worth it. I’ll probably have to head out again tonight – I’m still fired up from that sweet fish.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Here is another pic:

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

NICE HOG!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That is a true pig Do your knees hurt from slamming into the side of the boat so you wouldn’t get pulled out?
    Congrates on hanging in there, it truely paid off

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

That will make that stinky skunk smell like a rose. That’s one heck of a fish!!!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Steve, I know few people as persistant as you…and it sure paid off! 55 times over!

Awesome fish…but even more important the work you put into getting that hefer!

Just wondering what your wife has to say now?

PS What a wallhanger (picture that is!)!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

THats a monster.. nice fish steve!

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

That’s a beauty Steve!!

Jason.

mile832
    MN

Ohhh MAN, what a fish Steve! Your patience really paid off last night!

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Beautiful fish! Loved the description too. My 52 last year came in a barrage of action with one fish in the boat still hooked, 52 pounder on, and my third rod getting hit. Anyway, how about some of the nitty gritty details? My biggest fish in the last two weeks was 14 pounds. We have low water and dropping but still hot water temps (76) too. I’ve been fishing fairly deep for the most part, and coming up with little ones. How deep did you fish, what was the current like, what was the structure like, were you at the head, middle, side, of the hole??? As usual, August is spotty at best for me, and I’m looking to hone in on a reliable approach.

Of course, if giving all the details reveals your spot, um… PM me… I still want to know – don’t worry, If I travel for cats it won’t be north!

Congrats on the great fish!

Matt

ps – I think the big ones like to pick on guys who are alone in the boat.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hi Matt – to answer your questions. With the low water and reduced flow I have moved to main channel areas with the most current flow. I haven’t caught a fish out of any of my usual timberjams and backwater logjams. I don’t know why that is but this year I think the flatheads on the St Croix are on main channel areas. I’m looking for spots with bait and fish activity in the vicinity of deeper holes and runs. I like to fish a cut bait rod because that will usually trigger me if other fish are around. Last night I had sheephead picking at my cut bait most of the night and turtles too. Normally I pick up a channel or two but last night no channels although I had a couple of channel like runs. I caught this one at the head of the hole in about 15′ of water. It is really a waiting game. I like to fish the nights of a good ball game to help pass the time. Last night there was no game and no activity on the river. I did not see another boat after 8:30pm. Some of the spots I fish have a lot of boat activity all day and it seems like the fish don’t move around until well after that activity stops. I think the St Croix bite might be more of a early morning/dawn type of bite and I have been fishing the sunset to 1:00am period (with very little luck I might add).

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

If there was a Boone and Crocket or Pope and Young for huge Cats, you my friend would have made the book with that one! Great fish! Congrats!
    Wow!
    Tuck

rburns
    Wisconsin

Wow, that is a grat fish and a decent picture too.

Did you get a length? That fish looks long.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Now that’s a catfish!!!!! Great job!!

mudcatkid
    On water

that thing could eat me!!!!!

one heck of a nice fish!!!! that second pic just shows how huge the mouth is on them bad boys.

redneck
    Rosemount

Nice fish– a reward for all those nights on the water and maybe it even makes up for the Twins this year.

3670wayne
    So. St. Paul

I think I would be afraid to touch it. I would probably cut the line! Awesome fish!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Beauty Fish!

dd

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

I think I would be afraid to touch it. I would probably cut the line! Awesome fish!

He says this when he is holding a sturgeon in his avatar? Sturgeon are way more intimidating looking..

Sounds like one of those *glove guys* to me!

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Oh no… not another *glove guy*!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

“Don’t need no stinking gloves” ~ Catten Addict

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Nice fish. Back to not trusting your 110 spring job. I also had that problem. Is it right is it wrong? Find something that weighs 60 pounds and 80 pounds and test it. Mine is dead on at 80 pounds and it cost a whopping 11 bucks.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Quote:

Oh no… not another *glove guy*!

Ya, you guys and your gloves. Us girls don’t need no gloves right Sherry? Heck, I proud to sport my battle wounds around.

VERY NICE CAT BY THE WAY
    You sure earned it

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was thinking about your great catch on the way back from fishing tonight Steve… If the flow was any slower…it would go back up the dam and into P2!

Anyway…using 55 pounds..as the weight…here’s some stats on your flathead..

3.93 skunks per pound
    84 days of being skunked or
    .65 days of skunk per pound.

Ok, I’m being funny…but….

If we had a trophy in this forum for the most EARNED flat…

Your fish would take it hands down! Don’t think anythings going to top that this year!

Wish I would have been there to help you land it…(then I would know the spot…too )

Is the picture going on your living room wall?

panfish16

Way to go – excellent catch.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.