Bass Fishing

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was to take a friend and his friend from out of town out tonight fishing….got a call early saying they were fishing bass on the Croix (all day) and were going to eat and call it a night since they were heading up to the cabin (that I’ve never been invited to…I might add). Bass must taste aweful good to pass up a night catt’en!

So I figured I would short myself on bait…so I would come in early and get some sleep myself.

Checked out a few new spots that looked good…tossed out a couple @#$#$@#@ bullheads that both stuck me…(can’t someone make them with out the stickers?)…and proceeded to listen to the game and straighten up the boat a bit.

Considering it was to storm…it was a night that MN (should be) noted for…slight breeze to keep the skeeters down…temps warm enough to be wearing a light long sleeved shirt… it was … what a good cat night should be.

9:45 was my first run….and he dropped the bait…then it was quiet for quite a while…I wanted to get in early so…mental note to self…outta here in 15 minutes….which is the time my next run came…pulled slightly after the “crunch” and and set the hook…not much wood or snags around so a played with him for a while. He was coming in fairly quickly…I was thinking 10 or so pounds. About the time you think you have everything under control…he suddenly decided that he didn’t want to play with me anymore…Seems I tend to get a little excited when the drag is cinched down on the Garcia 7000 and a fish is taking line…did the little Lund Square Dance and lipped her into the boat…which I’m not going to do anymore…I think a net is in order for anything over 10…12 pounds (another bloody finger). She read a plus 25 lbs on the scale. Sorry about the pictures…I was alone…

Just sat down to take a break and I thought I would check the line on my other rod to see if the bully was alive..I hadn’t seen him dancing for a while…just as I touched the line the line snapped and a few minutes later a 17 plus was in my lap. I didn’t get her back into the water and my other rod just started screeming..(love that sound!) Unfortunatly once the reel stopped singing…the fish was gone with a free lunch.

Ended up the short night with 4 runs and 2 fish. Not bad for being home by midnight. The wife thought something was funny until she got a good whiff of me…she said ” good night huh?” I said yup and roled over to sleep….

PS I think it’s lucky that my friend didn’t go…this is the second time a trip was planned and I ended up with a 25 pound fish…I’m going to have him cancel more often!

Mike…don’t look at the pictures….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

25+

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

same fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

17+

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I’ll be out tonight. Channel 82. Same “Cat” time, Same “Cat” channel!
    My bully spot is currently inundated with high water, so if anyone wants to donate a few bullies on the water, give me a holler on the VHF. I can give you Wallerbass in trade. His gal can stay with us.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice look’n fish Brian
    Is that a UFO coming in behind you

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Weather don’t look too good tonight Mr EG…’course that’s what they’ve been saying for the last week…and it’s been great.

Check your pm…dude

Bret…it does look like something out of Close Encounters doesn’t it!

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

Quote:

so if anyone wants to donate a few bullies on the water

I’ve got some bullheads for you…they’ve been saying thunderstorms all week, nothing. But tonight, since I finally have the time, inclination, and bait….well, right about the time I get set up on the first spot, that’s when the storms will hit. So just stop by New Berlin and get em. Nice fish Brian.

Jason.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Great looking fish, Brian. Good pictures for being by yourself. Keep them coming.

mile832
    MN

Nice job on the fish Brian! Sometimes the “short and sweet” nights are the best.

I’ve always said, you’re not a real catman until someone ditches you to go bass fishing.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Brian,
    Couple of nice Cats, keep ’em pics a coming. Jack…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Wow did I blow it by not going. Ended up raining most of the time up north.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hmmm…seems to me you said that last year…when you couldn’t make it and I boated a 25 and a 29…

It’s ok, Mike. We’ll get a picture of you without a net or gloves…sooner or later!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

B,

You are starting to urine me off with all these little cats. I had just gotten setup on my first outing on Friday night when a thunderstorm came at me from the Wisconsin side. I know when they come from the east that they are usually a bad motor scooter so I decided to have a few beers instead. It didn’t rain a drop the rest of the night. Lightning scares the pants off me. Oh well maybe next time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I hear ya Whiskerkev…for get about looking at the forecast. If I would have listened to the weatherman last week I would have been in my basement all day. Of course a week ago Sunday I could have kept a couple 7 in bullheads in my pants pocket for a couple of days….I was so wet…

When it comes to lightening….beer is always better!

joeyko13
    Sugar Grove, IL

When it comes to lightening….beer is always better!

Amen to that brother! I’d much rather be holding a 6″ round aluminum 12 oz. lightning rod than a 6 or 7 foot one!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.