Wednesday , June 1st

• mile832
    MN

I spent some time on Pool 2 last night with my brother John. He has never caught a big catfish, so he didn’t really “believe” in them . I wanted to prove to him he could catch a big fish, it just takes some patience.

We got on the river just before dark. I had such a good night the day before I was hoping to put him on some good flathead action. The night started off slowly, but at about 11:00 pm, John’s clicker went off, I set the hook, and he fought the fish all the way to the boat. He was just shaking when he saw the 5lb flathead come into the boat! He thought it was the biggest fish ever. Honestly, I never caught a 5lb fish until I was in my teens. I showed him how to hold it (without gloves!) and took some pics. Things were pretty quiet after that, but the recent catch kept him awake and his hopes up. At 12:15am , John’s clicker went off again, really slow. After a minute or so of the fish taking a foot of line, stopping, taking a little more, stopping, I had a good pull and set the hook. The battle was on! John grabbed his rod from me and fought the fish like a champ! A few minutes seemed like an hour, watching him battle the fish, I knew it was a good one. Finally the fish surfaced and I was able to bring it in the boat. John couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw it. The fish was 35 inches long and weighed 22 lbs! His biggest ever by far. Both fish were caught on bullheads.

John told me “thank you!” about 100 times on the way back to the launch last night. I think he’s hooked for good! It’s too bad he had to see my truck busted into when we got back to the parking lot at 1:45. Oh well, it was still worth it!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That is so awesome. He looks hooked for life!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Way cool!!!! Thanks for hooking another fisherman!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

What a way for him to start. Those are some nice looking kitties. At 45 I still feel like a kid when I hook into one of them flats
    Sorry to hear about the truck. Why can’t people just leave things alone

emover
    Malcom, IA

Great pics and Story
    A real attaboy to that young man and you as well
    Hope you catch the vandals, that was a real shame

dave

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

That is really cool…nothing like success your first time out. I still remember Bridgette’s first Flathead…30 lbs, me yelling, get that rod up in the air! Her pleading, I can’t!! First timers faces are so funny when they finally see a big flat come to the surface in the flashlight’s beam…OH MY GOD!! Truly priceless.

Jason.

buschman
    Pool 2

Thats something your little bro will never forget.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Alvin…as Slop Bass says…Bass is Best!

Tim…you need to have that picture framed for him…THAT’s what it’s all about!

It doesn’t matter what YOUR personal best is…it’s the size of the fish you can put a newbi on!

mile832
    MN

Quote:

It doesn’t matter what YOUR personal best is…it’s the size of the fish you can put a newbi on!

That is SO true!

Thanks everyone for your compliments!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dozen Bullhead…..1 hour of time
    Dozen Large Sucker …..$17.95
    Good Catten Rod……….$ 24.95

Quote:

First timers face when they finally see a big flat come to the surface in the flashlight’s beam…OH MY GOD!! Truly priceless.

mile832
    MN

Man! I can’t believe I forgot to mention this! He actually kissed the fish on top of it’s head before we released it. (no pic though )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

A true catfisherman!

Old age Tim!

joeyko13
    Sugar Grove, IL

Outstanding all the way around. Especially the no gloves and the “good kitty” kiss. I think you made a Catman for life!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Tim, my wife said that she wouldn’t let our daughter handle a fish that size without gloves.

Next…you’ll see her trying to get that made into a law!

emover
    Malcom, IA

the poor guy may need some lutey to kill the catfish breathe

dave

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Those are great pics. The big one looks like a 30 something next to that young pup.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

no gloves and a kiss on the kitty forehead, brings a tear to my eye, you are teaching him correctly mile high, keep up the good work. You should be very proud

CA

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Absolutely great. There have been some really good pictures of kids with nice cats on here recently. That smile is worth waiting for.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.