finally

• djbeagle
    Onalaska, wi

well I finally did it. I have been a semi-serious flathaead fisherman for the past two years and have not gotten a big one yet. I have had others in my boat get nice fish, but not me.
    That all changed on Tuesday night. With the full moon fast approaching I thought the chances of getting something decent was greater.
    Tuesday night I was a loner. I could not quite decide wich type of area to try. This time of year, with the reduced flow I generally like to fish wing dams. But, on this night I decided to drop anchor close to the main channel with plenty of wood close by.
    And did it pay off!! The fish hit an eight inch crappie in about six feet of water at 9:30.
    It weighed in at 46 lbs and I estimated its length to be 44 inches (estimated since my tape only went to 40).
    My advice is get out there, I believe the full moon time is big fish time. I would target main channel areas with current.
    With the reduced flow my crappie fishing in the backwater areas has died, I think lots of fish are moving to the channel.
    I know the picture is not the greatest, but when you are alone and forget your tripod you get what you get……..

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Huge!!!!

rburns
    Wisconsin

That picture makes that fish look like 100 pounds!

Good job landing that fish by yourself.

I bet your knees were shaking a bit as you got that boy close to the boat.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Way to go djbeagle! That thing looks huge in the picture. Persistence pays off!

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

Best advice: fish whenever you can, don’t worry too much about “perfect” conditions…I don’t like the full moon, but it never stops me from fishing. Nice work buddy!!

mudcatkid
    On water

Quote:

Best advice: fish whenever you can, …………

JC’s got a point…….i seem to follow that rule pretty well…..haha…since i am out 3-5nights a week. But it doesnt ever seem to help me catch any fish like that lately If it wasnt for bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all…

anyways………… NICE FISH man! That pic makes it look like a giant!!! ….well, it IS! But its intensified in teh close up pic

dark30
    Belle Plaine, Mn.

That is without a doubt the most beautiful fish on the planet…and no, I’m not its mom!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.