New cat fishermen

• rodgersdan
    Wisconsin

Hey guys, I am just starting catfishing and i am looking for ANY basic tips: best times for cats, what months are best what should be avoided, what baits work best in warm water what work best in cold water. i am looking to fish in the southern WI and northernIL area, what areas are good arround there…etc. anything is helpful. I know that this question is really broad and basic, but even the most basic things would be very helpful. don’t be afraid to talk down to me, i have never fished for cats, but i am really excited to start.

Thanks a lot guys for any help

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Welcome aboard. The catboard is kinda quite this time of year but as spring nears things get going. A great book, though its stating to get a bit dated, is “Channel Catfish Fever” put out by the In-Fisherman. It will give you a great start in understanding catfish behavior. I’m sure you could get it through their website. I’d also go back as far as you can on this catfish forum and look at every post. You’ll get a good idea how the guys fish, especiially on the Mississippi and Minnesota. Almost everything can be adapted to the rivers you fish. There are also guys on the board, including myself, that would probably be willing to take you out a time or two this spring or summer to get you going. A good idea also is to hire a guide for a night or two. Eye-Guide or Catdadmn guide for cats on the Mississippi. You’ll learn more in a night fishing with an experienced catman than you will in a month by yourself goin “cold turkey”.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

A lot of local libraries will also have books that can get you started, but nothing will be as educational as time on the water with someone who knows what they’re doing.

The two main species that get attention here are channel cats and flatheads. Channels love current and both tend to hang out in the nastiest snags in the river. Both also have the ability to send a top-grade walleye rod to the landfill in 8 or more pieces.

Their entire skin is composed of tastebuds and that is the primary mechanism they use to locate prey. In-fisherman refers to a catfish as a ‘swimming tongue,’ and that should be the primary concern when fishing rivers. Fish slowly from the upstream side and let the current carry a whiff of your bait into likely holding places.

Cats can be caught any time of day, but will be most active at night. I’ve always had the best luck from just before dawn to about an hour after sunrise, but it’s possible that I catch more fish during that time because it’s when I get out most often.

Lots of good info on this board, too – and don’t be afraid to ask questions.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Hey Gianni, I couldnt agree more on your pre dawn bite being a good one. Last summer was the first time I got serious about about fishing all night and past sunrise. Its was easy to note that that hour or so before and just past sunrise was prime time!! About midnight – 2:00am was also hot for me. Especially when I fished flats in front of snags and large holes.

goosepit
    N. Mankato Minnesota

The twilight hours always seem to be the best for me too. Although I have caught my 2 biggest Flatheads at 2:00 in the afternoon. I have always done better for flatheads anywhere there is rocks. The flatheads just seem to prefer them over snags.

rodgersdan
    Wisconsin

thanks for all of the advice guys, one more thing. I have a heavy musky outfit, will this be good enough. also what kind of line do u recomend.

Thanks again

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

It’ll work just fine for your first outfit. For Channel cats 17-20lb line is good, trilene XT is fine. Eagle Claw model 84 or Mustad 92671 hooks in about 2/0 – 4/0 are good hooks that don’t cost alot. Buy them by the 100 pack cause you’ll loose plenty. I used 50 lb Power Pro line last year for both flatheads and channels and really liked it. If your reel is a baitcaster and has a clicker, thats all the better. Once you get hooked on cat’n you’ll find yourself thinking about what you need for your next cat rig!!

fishhead
    Chaska

Goose Pit

I have seen that name on a big white jet jon floating on the Miss in Monticello.Is that you?

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

chicken live chicken liver chicken liver

goosepit
    N. Mankato Minnesota

Nope that aint me. I do 90% of my fishing on the Minnesota and Blue Earth river.

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

DAN,

If you ever make it up to pool 4 look me up or send me a private…. I will take you out at no costs to show you what cattin is about….. There is no better joy than introducing someone to something that I am crazy about….. one rule,,,, catch and release!!!! unless there fiddlers…..

You say you are from southern wisconsin/northern Illinois …… I grew up fishing the Rock River down there …… send me a private and I will turn you onto some really special places to fish down there…….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.