Casting Rapala Rippin' Raps For Saginaw Bay Walleyes S14 E18

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Season 14 – Episode 18 is available on YouTube!

James Holst and Pj Vick take the Skeeter WX2060 east to Saginaw Bay for an awesome Rippin’ Rap walleye bite!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Question: You said that there was floating ice and that tells me the water was really cold. My first guess would be to throw jig and plastic at them. Did you try that?

Another fun show, thanks.

S.R.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Question: You said that there was floating ice and that tells me the water was really cold. My first guess would be to throw jig and plastic at them. Did you try that?

S.R.

This was my question, too. Especially in the beginning when the bite was slow. I would’ve switched to plastics or even jig and minnow. Did you guys switch it up at all but maybe not out that in the show?

Dennis Fielding

Great show, I live a hour away from Saginaw and going to be out there in a week. Did you guys do any trolling at all? That water was open most of the winter.

You guys rock

Attachments:
    1. D4FA86D8-6B4E-461F-B2A9-9672E8A25958.jpeg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

James i see you were in a 2060.Where is the 2200?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nothing gets past you guys. yay

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

S.R.

We threw a mix of plastics and hair jigs at them and they wanted nothing to do with it. I don’t think I can remember a single hit on the soft plastics or jigs of any kind for that matter.

I agree with your line of thinking though. That’s what the book says they should want under those conditions. That was just not the case this time.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James i see you were in a 2060.Where is the 2200?

Getting rigged! My 2200 wasn’t ready yet so the guys at the boat center let me use one of the demo 2060s.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Did you guys do any trolling at all? That water was open most of the winter.

We never put a trolling rod in the water. I’ve got nothing against trolling but we had the itch to cast!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Loved the show! For a guy fishing out of a 17’ boat…. I struggle for a couple of consecutive comfortable days to try to do Lake Erie. Is this area potentially a little less daunting when winds are a concern? Looking for a destination short notice over the next several weeks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Loved the show! For a guy fishing out of a 17’ boat…. I struggle for a couple of consecutive comfortable days to try to do Lake Erie. Is this area potentially a little less daunting when winds are a concern? Looking for a destination short notice over the next several weeks.

A strong north wind would be challenging but other directions you should be fine. Do keep in mind that the Saginaw River closed March 15 so you would be limited to fishing the bay.

gmerhar

Another awesome episode!!! Say what kind of setup were you guys running for casting them ripping raps? Been lookin for a rod just wonder what to get.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Another awesome episode!!! Say what kind of setup were you guys running for casting them ripping raps? Been lookin for a rod just wonder what to get.

I’ve tried a bunch of different rods and my favorite is the Okuma Helios HSK701 M. What you want is a rod with a VERY fast transition from tip into the blank to allow the energy from each “pop” of the rod to transmit into the line and lures. Slower action, think slow or soft, rod blanks work poorly for this application.

This same rod is a fantastic jigging rap rod as well.

Helios HSK701 – $129

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

On the way out there was a piece of ice you could have stood on and drilled a hole. tongue
    Suppose to get down to “0” this weekend, I’m not giving up the hard water yet.

Great Show, reminds me of the show you did a few years ago down in Red Wing when you did well “casting candy” waytogo

abster71
    crawford county WI

James where did you get the SHO kicker? Did they do a custom paint on the hood to match, like to do the same on my T8

David Blais

You can order the sho kicker cowling

Jack K

When is the Green Bay rippin rap bite going to start? Still sheets of ice off the Oconto breakwater and even some ballsy guys ice fishing on it. I’m thinking with the cold weather upcoming it might not be good until the week of March 30-April 5? What do you think?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

As soon as you can safely get a boat out…the fish are already there. My crystal ball was repossessed so I can’t offer a date that will happen. Just be ready to go.

David Blais

Looks like a good place to be. Away from everyone

tim hurley

Gonna have to get that dark purple ripper-anyone have other favorite colors?

Pj Vick

The tangerine dream,suckerpunch,low orbit and basic purple gold custom are all great lakes killers👊🏼

Fishinfred

I am from Northern Michigan and follow the show religiously. It was nice to see you do a show in Michigan, I think! I fish Saginaw Bay year round. It is really a great fishery. What was really cool was to watch James and PJ fishing one of my favorite spots this time of year. Not sure I like the attention though, (kidding) you can catch some nice fish and an occasinal monster right there. When the rippon rap bite slows trolling Bandits right near the shoreline is a good kick starter.

Thanks for coming to our state.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.