Carp thru the ice

• olso2063
    NULL

Anyone have any tips for targeting carp? Recommendations for bait? Depths?

Thanks

Sam Slaby
    Sioux Falls

I recently caught my very fist carp through the ice. We were fishing for perch in a shack and needless to say, he had to do some retying. She decided to make a few passes around the shack while coming in and created a tangled mess. Like I said, we were targeting perch with small Slender Spoons and Tingler spoons with small minnows. Sorry I don’t have any tips for targeting them specifically but I guess landing a couple on this rig says something. I also saw many carp laying on the ice, frozen and abandon.

Bryan Myers

I haven’t targeted them for years, but when I did we actually just used small panfish jigs and waxies, but we were fishing lakes that had very high carp populations as well. I have caught a few in recent years and they have all been on panfish jigs and most tipped with waxies. They are a riot to catch especially on on light jog rods. Good luck!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve never caught one through the ice, are you fishing a lake or river?

I think I read an article in some fishing magazine a few weeks ago about why fish move to backwater locations in the winter in river systems. Basically, the water temperature is a few degrees warmer in the backwaters than it is in the main channel. In a lot of rivers the main channel still sees moderate current and open water during the winter, in some cases this means water temperatures of 32 degrees but no ice.

The backwaters however, freeze up faster and the ice/snow insulates the water a bit so they may sit at like 36 or 38 or something(I don’t remember).

They tested a whole slew of different fish species to see how long they could survive in 32 degree water and every fish died within like a week. Except for carp, which showed almost no ill effects after being put in the 32 degree water.

Disclaimer: I could have some of that mixed up.

olso2063
    NULL

Thanks for all the tips guys. I’m fishing a metro lake. Last week my buddy and I were fishing for perch and saw a big school of carp move in about 3′ under the ice. We were just curious what we could use to catch Em cause they were big!

Attachments:
    1. image158.jpg

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Try a bow and arrow! I heard they really like those… What lake if you don’t mind me asking? I do a lot of bowfishing and I’ve been itching to get out… Just going to cut a huge hole in the ice and shoot em through it! Should be pretty fun but I guess I’m not used to targeting them through the ice. I usually bowfish at night in a boat! Another thing you could do is if you see them, put on a big trebble hook and snag them… It’s legal if its a carp!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Another thing you could do is if you see them, put on a big trebble hook and snag them… It’s legal if its a carp!

I think you’re wrong.

From the 2014 MN regs:

Licensed anglers and children under 16 may take rough fish by spearing, harpooning, archery, and hand-held dip nets on all inland waters, except where taking fish is prohibited. (page 66)

It is unlawful to take a fish by snagging or noodling (taking fish by hand). (page 26)

olso2063
    NULL

Yeah snagging them is what a lot of people have been saying.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I was told and had thought that as long as it is a rough fish snagging is perfectly legal… I may be wrong. It definitely wouldn’t be the first or last time! If anyone finds anything out about that let me know!

kylem86

My brother caught this one on a rat finkie and a waxie! Lol

Attachments:
    1. image161.jpg

olso2063
    NULL

dang thats a nice one. bet that was fun

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.