Cargo rack for atv

• MrWalleye74

I’m looking for recommendations on a cargo carrier for my 2022 Sportsman 570. Love if it would be elevated to keep slush/snow from hitting the gear/flipshack on the platform.

Checked out the Versa Rack, which looks great but arm and carrier would be about $350…seems steep.

Thinking this would work…

$59
    https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-atv-cargo-carrier-69858.html

$69
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hornet-outdoors-atv-utv-receiver-hitch-riser-adapter-u-4044-2?cid=Shopping-Google-Organic_Feed-Product-1637219

Jason

It looks like those pcs will work. My only concern would be how much it’s going to stress the hitch hanging that far out.

deertracker

If you have a bunch of weight hanging that far off the back on an independent rear suspension, I’d be afraid that it is going to squat pretty bad.
    DT

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

You will find that the more things you put together the more slop you will have. You can use hitch Tightener / anti-rattle clamps to help. 10-20 dollars each so factor that in.

Also as mentioned, the longer you stick out the more leverage you put on all the parts, being a harbor freight cheapie I would be cautious as I am guessing the wall thickness of the tubing and fastener points may fail. Inspect the system well and return if you dont think its good enough to not fail you and move to plan B.

The Pessimist

Mr. W:

I have a 2021 570. I purchased an adjustable hitch receiver from Hornet. It is part number U-6043. This fits directly to the 1 1/4 hitch on the Sportsman. I purchased the same HF rack you posted. I added a 1/2 plywood base the HF carrier. When I put my Fish Trap Scout on the rack I only get about 1″ of squat. I have not done any adjustments to the rear suspension. This is a new set-up and I will see how it performs in the winter. I am only using the carrier for my Fish Trap. All other gear will go on the ATV racks. Polaris lists maximum tongue weight as 135 lbs and I am well under that number. Will post a pic when I can – hopefully this weekend.

Here is the link to the Hornet product.

https://www.shophornetoutdoors.com/assets/images/Which%20Hitchfinal2.pdf

acarroline

All good info, thanks everyone.

The Pessimist

Here is a photo of what I am working with. I am using four u-bolts to attached the wood to the carrier and they are not installed in this photo.

FYI – the Harbor Freight carrier is not made to tight tolerances. It will work for my application, but it is not the greatest. However, it was on sale for $47.

Attachments:
    1. 4238120507702097544-scaled.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Polaris lists maximum tongue weight as 135 lbs and I am well under that number.

Keep in mind the rating at the carrier is going to be a fraction of the weight rating at the hitch. Given the leverage distance shown in the photo, I’d guess a 45 to 50lb load in the carrier, will generate a 135lb load at the hitch receiver.

Attachments:
    1. carrier.jpg

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Here is what I had on mine. I have since sold the quad but still have the rack, it’s in the rafters of my garage. Would sell it cheap. Worked great, just never really needed the quad.

Attachments:
    1. four-wheeler-with-rack.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.