Car AC not working

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

2013 Corolla blowing slightly cool to warm air depending on outside temperature. I know I’ve added freon to it once before and it worked fine. This time when I attached the gauge/hose, the pressure was above the normal range. The clutch is engaging. I also changed the cabin filter. Upon recheck it is still above the normal range. That’s about all I can do. Are there any fuses to check?
    Otherwise I’ll call the mechanic on Monday.

munchy
    NULL

Check/clean the condenser coil up near the radiator. (Looks like a small radiator)

Could potentially be the blend door inside the dash. When switching between heat and cool is there a noticeable airflow change or does it seem to stay constant?

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

back to the 2 55 AC, 2 windows down at 55

sorry had to say that!! hope it’s an easy fix!!

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I had a 2011 Tundra that the cooling fan on the radiator wasn’t working right. The AC would work for a couple miles then then would stop when the engine reached a certain temp. The temp gauge showed a little higher temp but no alarms or warning lights went on, but the AC would be disabled until the engine temp went down.

jwellsy

Is the clutch engaging and disengaging?
    Are you going by looking at it or listening to the relay clicks?
    When you turn off the AC, does it disengage?
    When you have the freon pressure gauge hooked up can you see the compressor kick on & off by the pressure?
    Something seems stuck like the relay, flow sensor, a hi/low pressure switch or the mixing damper door.
    Some of those doors can be a royal pain to get to inside the dashboard.
    You can find youtube videos about checking the flow sensor with a magnate.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Condenser has a couple of bugs but no buildup of dirt. Could see through it and the radiator behind it everywhere I looked.

Is the clutch engaging and disengaging?
    Are you going by looking at it or listening to the relay clicks?
    When you turn off the AC, does it disengage?
    I can hear the change in the engine when turning the AC on and off. I assume that’s the drag the compressor is putting on the engine so it seems the clutch is engaging and disengaging. The cooling fan also turns on and off with the AC on or off. I do not here the relay clicks. I’ll check my son’s 2005 Corolla to see if I hear relays. His AC is working fine.

When you have the freon pressure gauge hooked up can you see the compressor kick on & off by the pressure?
    No change in the pressure gauge when the compressor kicks in/turns off.

CaptainMusky

I had a similar issue with a GMC envoy a couple years ago. Tried filling with Freon and it said overful. Turns out it was so low that the clutch actually locked up and wouldn’t engage and I had to jumper wire it and add the freon. So because the gauge reads over full isn’t necessarily the case. Took a whole can of freon.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I know it’s not overfull since I added some to it 2 years ago when it was low. So you jumpered the clutch to engage it so it would accept freon?
    I don’t know if that’s my issue because it looks like the clutch is engaging/disengaging.

CaptainMusky

Yeah I found a video of it online. I thought it was engaging too but it obviously wasn’t because it wouldn’t pull in freon. I didn’t know it had to engage to pull it in and thought it was but it definitely wasnt. I can’t remember where I jumpered it however. Dangit hopefully I can find the video and link it.

CaptainMusky

I think it was the relay for the compressor I jumpered with like a short wire or paperclip. A simple search brought up a bunch of videos. Worth a shot!

MX1825

If the compressor clutch engages/disengages rapidly every 10 to 30 seconds it is low on freon.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

If the compressor clutch engages/disengages rapidly every 10 to 30 seconds it is low on freon.

The clutch stays engaged until the AC is turned off.

I just checked it again and didn’t hear any clicks when the AC was turned on.
    On my son’s car, I hear a small click. Is the relay in the fuse box?

CaptainMusky

Not sure where the relay would be in that specific car but probably in the engine bay is my guess

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Found a video that explained the AC clutch relay in the engine compartment fuse box. There is also a fuse in the fuse panel under the dash.

I’ll keep you posted after I check these.

jwellsy

Can you hear the mixer door inside the dash reposition as you switch back and forth between heater and AC?

jwellsy

Looks like youtube vids call it a Blend Door.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Couldn’t find the relay that engages the clutch. Looks like this car may have a clutchless compressor. Time to call the mechanic.

Gitchi Gummi

This might not be the issue you’re seeing but I figure I’d share anyway.. I’ve got a 2010 corolla that had an AC that stopped working. Ended up being a leak out of the compressor. That was an expensive fix! I was able to get by for 2 years just recharging it each spring and the leak was slow enough that it’d get me thru the summer. This spring the leak got large enough that a recharge wouldn’t last very long so I bit the bullet and replaced the compressor.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Only one correct way to trouble shoot it, Need to pull a vacuum and pull out all the Freon, get the weight of what you pulled out and compare it to what should be in there. Then go from there. Be prepared to replace the AC pump and high side hose while your at it, just went through this same thing.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Check the gap from your AC clutch to compressor. I just did this to mine. Basically if you pull that clutch plate off, there are shims in it and over time that clutch/plate will wear. Pulled out one of the shims put the plate back on and it works all the time now.

Easy way to check, use a broomstick or something push on that plate, see if get cold air that way.

If you search this on the web there are some videos, etc explaining what I just said better than I did. LOL

jwellsy

The AC fuse will probably say ‘Mag Clutch’.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.