Cant wait for this heat

• Tom schmitt

All this talk about ruining a fishery, lower limits, unfair advantage.
    Technology has changed fishing, now fishermen need to change.
    Where does it say that a fisherman has to fish until he has his limit.
    As a whole we need to use some restraint with the fish we keep and how deep we release them from.

castle-rock-clown

I really love being out doors. The fishhouse allows me to just hang out and even sleep out there. Sometimes I fish, sometimes I eat, sleep, nap, watch a game, go bumming around the lake on the ATV…just be out there.

During the summer I go out on the boat with the buddies and fish…for a while, then just kick back and chill out enjoying the scenery and watching them catch the occasional fish. I enjoy what some others find abhorrent…just relaxing with my feet up wasting time.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

All this talk about ruining a fishery, lower limits, unfair advantage.
    Technology has changed fishing, now fishermen need to change.
    Where does it say that a fisherman has to fish until he has his limit.
    As a whole we need to use some restraint with the fish we keep and how deep we release them from.

Common sense VS Greed. I can tell you which one wins every time…

tim hurley

This new tech spots basin fish very well, how does it do finding fish near or in weeds?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

This post deserves a repost… best comment on here.

Technology of all sorts can wrongly be blamed for increased pressure and success on fisheries. Let’s not stop with just blaming Livescope, Panoptics, Huminbird 360, Mega Side imaging, etc.

New wheelhouses are technology. The latest all aluminum insulated 700# skid shacks are technology (they’re really booming the last 2 years). Social Media pages sharing posts with thousands of followers are technology. You hitting the remote start on your truck with heated seats for your drive to Northern MN is technology. The fully enclosed side x sides that drive like a car and are warm are technology. Navionics apps are technology. The high-end insulated portables being produced for cheaper than ever are technology. The all weather float suits, electric augers, custom rods, glow and tungsten jigs, etc. are all technology.

It isn’t one piece of technology’s fault. I don’t blame firearms when there is a mass shooting. I don’t blame vehicles when there is an accident, and I won’t blame the latest greatest technology if resources are put in jeopardy. Human anglers are the one common denominator behind all forms of technology and harvest. A mindset about “limits” and harvest will change in the near future whether people like it or not.

Do people really think URL is going back to its 4 fish bag limit after the pressure seen the last 3 weeks? Do people think Mille Lacs will have a harvest of more than 1 fish anytime in the next decade? Will bag limits on LOTW bump back up in the coming years? I’m hedging my bets on the exact opposite, and it doesn’t really bother me one bit.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

This post deserves a repost… best comment on here.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

As much as I love to argue, I can’t argue with that.

tim hurley

You can actually look at firearms when their is a mass shooting, not ALL firearms
    What if everyone right now had an ICBM? Would that be good? Guns are fine for hunting-hunting guns. Pro tennis has allowed aluminum rackets, it has changed the sport so much that not as many people watch-100mph serve, not nearly as much volley (fun part of the game) Pro baseball said “no” to the alluminum bat, that tech or materiel is there so you just have to use it right? No, you do not, love that baseballprotects its traditions.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

You can actually look at firearms when their is a mass shooting, not ALL firearms
    What if everyone right now had an ICBM? Would that be good? Guns are fine for hunting-hunting guns. Pro tennis has allowed aluminum rackets, it has changed the sport so much that not as many people watch-100mph serve, not nearly as much volley (fun part of the game) Pro baseball said “no” to the alluminum bat, that tech or materiel is there so you just have to use it right? No, you do not, love that baseballprotects its traditions.

Inter continental ballistic missiles vs a fish finder?
    Wow!

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

What if everyone right now had an ICBM? Would that be good? Guns are fine for hunting-hunting guns.

No. Firearms don’t kill people. The type of firearm is irrelevant. Without someone choosing to pull the trigger it’s a paperweight.
    ICBM? Really? No rational person would compare that to a firearm.
    Let alone a fish finder……..

MnPat1

My favorite technology for getting to my fishing spot is an airplane. I know A $400 plane ticket will bring me to a place where fishing is incredible and nobody is there because they all blew their money on wheelhouses and panoptix. For less money than a fish finder you can have a trip of a lifetime.

castle-rock-clown

Trip of a lifetime…if I ever went on a trip of a lifetime what would I have to look forward to in the future…might as well die, everything from now on will be a letdown and disappointment. My fishhouse I can enjoy along with my electronics and other toys every time I use them for years to come. But to each their own.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

Inter continental ballistic missiles vs a fish finder?
    Wow!

I am more impressed that tennis and an Inter continental ballistic missle were used in the same paragraph.

SW Eyes

Instead of cutting limits and seasons, how about increase stocking? Every lake in the state could be another Red in short order.

-J.

Well, the DNR accepts donations. Feel free to take care of funding that for everyone. I’d rather take home a couple less fish than pay an astronomical dollar amount for a license, or some other fee/tax.

I don’t think it’s about fear as you say. I agree with the argument that advanced electronics are taking some of the sport out of it. The primary historical challenge with fishing is getting yourself where the fish are. That is what separates great fisherman from your average joe.

Maybe I’m a purist to a detriment. But, if we’re using military aircraft caliber imaging systems to hammer endless 14” lab hatched walleyes every time out, what the heck are we even doing anymore? It’s just a slightly more advanced version of the kids trout pond at the Cabelas store.

castle-rock-clown

I guess if your pinpoint focusing on the aspect of “catching a fish”. I take a wider view and look at the entire outdoor experience fishing delivers. The planning and hanging out with buddies, the scenery and being in nature, the fun of a boat, ATV or snowmobile scooting across a lake…after all this, it’s nice to have the distraction of catching a fish. It’s one of the few things that will get me to put my beer down. Having the best electronics enabling me to get the “full girlfriend experience” (the other thing that will get me to put down a beer), while fishing, is a nice icing on the cake.

tim hurley

Eel I was not the one to pull firearms into this.
    The tech does matter on all this, its not just about personal decisions, its not black and white.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.