Cant wait for this heat

• Xbomber8X
    Sartell, MN

When are we gonna call Panoptix an absolute cheat machine?!!! I know the pros, OBVIOUSLY!!! Why do we call it FISHING anymore, to soon its just going to be called CATCHING!! Does anybody enjoy the challenge of ice fishing anymore? If you want an easy meal, go to the grocery store. Probably a hell of alot cheaper!

Xbomber8X
    Sartell, MN

I post this after using it numerous times, and being successful. Not mine, a friends

castle-rock-clown

Just because you find em doesn’t mean they’ll bite…at least you still have to figure that out, if you can.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

In October with the LiveScope, I found schools of presumed crappie over a winter hole. Couldn’t get them to bite. This was after a 40 degree temperature drop from the day before.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

“They” said the same thing when….

The green box came out.
    Loran-C came out
    LMS-350 came out
    Handheld GPS came out
    Underwater cameras came out
    Lighted cranks came out
    The Whiffer map came out

-J. coffee sleeping whistling

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There are a ton of cheat machines In our lives these days. Auto’s, computers, microwave’s, cell phone’, just to name a few. Rather than being called cheat machines they are referred to as technology. The funny thing about technology is it’s always moving forward never backwards. Will livescope and future fishing electronics be the death of all fish and lakes, I don’t think so. What I believe will need to change is the management of the fishing resources. The fish limits have been lowered over the years and will need to continue to do so. Do I always love all the new technology we have today – NO. Do I myself use most of it – YES. Our society is what it is these days. Rather than spending my time fighting it I tend to just adjust and go along with it.

Bluegill89

Metro Fisheries will be worse then they already are.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bluegill89 wrote:</div>
    Metro Fisheries will be worse then they already are.

Is that possible?

Metro lake before ice up. wave

-J.

Attachments:
    1. 8EB7D80D-3F06-4093-AE5B-9DB2B931324B.jpeg

2. B55CC639-CBD1-4631-9709-15772FB0967D.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m guessing that people who bash the metro lakes have probably never done very well fishing them. I primarily fish lakes within the greater metro area (within an hour of my house) and I had the best season I’ve ever had in 22 years of fishing.

Attachments:
    1. tiger-muskie-horizontal.jpg

2. 10-10-20-bass-horizontal.jpg

3. 12-inch-crappie.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What you will find is people even more stacked up on each other then they already are. I do believe it will have a impact on lakes if they don’t change the regs very soon.

mnfisherman18

Fishing has changed a ton in the last few years. 20 years ago most people couldn’t even find decent structure on a lake, now everyone has access to excellent GPS mapping along with fish finding “radar” systems like Live-scope. Of course Live-scope does not automatically put fish in the boat, but creates massive advantages over previous technology. I am absolutely in favor of cutting bag limits in half.

I’m not making judgements of anyone here (I have the latest Humminbird units), everyone has the right to fish however they want (within the law). I have just personally decided to spend less time staring at my side imaging in the summer and actually fishing. Both my dad and fiancé have joked that I don’t actually fish any more, I just drive around and look at a screen. Now ice fishing is catching up – I understand the current strategies around drilling 100+ holes until you find fish, but most days I would rather drill 20 holes in a good spot and relax with friends and family.

Ripjiggen

The green box came out.
    Loran-C came out
    LMS-350 came out
    Handheld GPS came out
    Lighted cranks came out
    The Whiffer map came out

Agree. Let’s be honest most ice anglers are lazy. I mean they bring a house on wheels out with them so they can be “comfortable”

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

The green box came out.
    Loran-C came out
    LMS-350 came out
    Handheld GPS came out
    Lighted cranks came out
    The Whiffer map came out

[/quote

This is not a green box in any stretch of the imagination. This is the biggest advancement any of us have ever seen.
    I believe this technology will hurt our fisheries without limit reductions, especially with panfish.

Finding fish has always been the hard part compared to catching them. Catching fish isn’t complicated if you’re fishing where the fish are. Any genius with a hook and live bait can catch a fish. If you think otherwise I think you’ve over-complicated a very simple task that humans have done for generations.
    Just search you tube, there’s plenty of videos of guys with pan-optics catching limits and claiming it was too easy.
    Im not going to be investing in this stuff that’s for sure. To me it looks to take the fun of searching and the gratification of actually putting in the work to be successful.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

This is not a green box in any stretch of the imagination. This is the biggest advancement any of us have ever seen.
    I believe this technology will hurt our fisheries without limit reductions, especially with panfish.

LOL !!! rotflol This is exactly what everyone was saying when underwater cameras came out. I can remember the same fear the DNR and legislators had at that time. There were laws being written up to ban them in Minnesota. We are fortunate that never happened. Not outlawed and gee, we still have fish in our lakes.

-J.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I know it’s hilarious isn’t it……
    You’re comparing apples to potatoes my friend.
    Underwater cameras are absolutely useless on a good majority of the lakes in this state.
    On a good day, on a very clear lake you can see maybe 25-30ft, maybe.
    With this technology you can see anything within a 100ft perimeter of your hole instantly.
    Let’s take a camera and pan-optics out and see who fills their bucket first.
    Sorry but to me your argument stinks like a day old diaper in a red lobster dumpster.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m not comparing the technology. I’m comparing the fear.

-J.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’m not comparing the technology. I’m comparing the fear.

-J.

rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is little doubt that the tech is having a effect. However, the locating tech isn’t the only issue.

Take a drive to Red and LOTW this weekend and what do you see? Hundreds, maybe thousands of anglers. The advent of the wheel house and to a extent the portable house has changed the game. People no longer have to be concerned can they get a cabin, motel room for the weekend. They bring their accommodations with them. They are pulled by incredibly reliable trucks that get decent mileage. The bite is found out immediately via internet. You no longer need to hear about the hot bite that happened three weeks ago. Last and maybe most importantly people are making money and spending money on this hobby. Big money.

So for the next few weeks Red & LOTW get pounded until they can start pounding Mille Lacs and lakes locally.

Many, many years ago the fish got a break from the weekend hoards both summer and winter. Not anymore. These lakes get pounded anytime the season is open and they allow fishing. Maybe instead of reducing the limits, maybe look at shortening the season?

It’s not all about the locators.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The green box came out.
    Loran-C came out
    LMS-350 came out
    Handheld GPS came out
    Lighted cranks came out
    The Whiffer map came out

Will you sign my petition for the use of crossbow use to all in MN during the archery hunt than???

I see both sides but the industry needs to realize that with the advancement of technology comes with a price. And that may lead to limits changes, season changes, slot changes… If these types of devices didn’t catch you more fish, then why are people buying them? I know of very few people who would actually go fishing if they left there flasher at home. I can also honestly say that my flasher has caught me 10xfold (if not way higher) than what I’d have caught without it. GPS? GAME CHANGER for sure and has Definitely affected fishing.

…but I’m happy to see these advances as typically they aide the weekend worrier such as myself as it gets me on fish quicker. But with that, I also expect tighter limits…or I guess I’m “hoping” for tighter limits.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Just my opinion. ALL bag limits and maybe some other regulations need to be adjusted. I will never tell anyone to not take their legal limit but our lawmakers have to help us with some laws to restrain some people. Way to many people abuse the system because there is not near enough CO to keep everybody honest.
    Like I said JMO.

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

The green box came out.
    Loran-C came out
    LMS-350 came out
    Handheld GPS came out
    Lighted cranks came out
    The Whiffer map came out

Agree. Let’s be honest most ice anglers are lazy. I mean they bring a house on wheels out with them so they can be “comfortable”

Well, that’s news to me…fishhouse = lazy. I do love the comfort…and that’s old news. I guess I’m spoiled hauling in walleyes whil watching the Packers winning while in my jammies and slippers.

Attachments:
    1. 86AF73A3-5B69-4CF6-B5C2-3A7FF09D6FFB.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Of course Live-scope does not automatically put fish in the boat, but creates massive advantages over previous technology. I am absolutely in favor of cutting bag limits in half.

I’m not picking on anyone but MNFish is making my point clearer.

What about the thousands that can’t afford a locator let alone a camera and Live-Scope. Do they need their limits cut because (relatively) few people can afford high end bucket fillers?

We pay the DNR to watch our fish populations. Even the latest lowering of limits on the Mississippi, it was made clear the science didn’t call for it, the limits where changed for the public.

Just my 2 cents worth.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t know about all of you, but I like catching even more than fishing.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Finding fish has always been the hard part compared to catching them. Catching fish isn’t complicated if you’re fishing where the fish are. Any genius with a hook and live bait can catch a fish

Oh I couldn’t disagree more.

I’ve been able to identify the exact species the last few years, using tech from 10 years ago. Original SI. Not mega.

And no, you can not feed a baby if they don’t want to eat!

Imo on a good day, only a percentage are eating. I can and have sat on a thousand walleyes, and seen them NOT eat plenty of times.

Shoot that tech isn’t good enough for the lazy masses to utilize to its fullest… so on comes mega… again, masses unable to do with it what a few can. On and on we go. Yes you can watch people who do amazing things, do amazing things on YouTube. But don’t think for an instant that regular Joe is spending this kind of cash and even the expense Joe isn’t spending the energy to be great at fishing.

Would this tech put more fish in the boat for me.. heck yes. But knowing when to go home has been most of my learning the past few years… cuz that baby who don’t want to eat, ain’t going to… no matter what you try to give them. It’s only those days I’m trying to improve upon anymore, and I keep learning after countless hours that they ain’t gonna go!

Had 16 miles of water to myself yesterday. Took 30 seconds to catch the first eyeball. I think of the million+ City folk within 30 minutes of my boat on days like those, and grin… then I read the forums filled with metro folks who claim it’s so busy we Gotta cut limits.

rotflol
    coffee

Get your checkbook out to turn fishing into catching. Lol. Funniest thing I’ve heard all week.
    smash

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnfisherman18 wrote:</div>
    Of course Live-scope does not automatically put fish in the boat, but creates massive advantages over previous technology. I am absolutely in favor of cutting bag limits in half.

I’m not picking on anyone but MNFish is making my point clearer.

What about the thousands that can’t afford a locator let alone a camera and Live-Scope. Do they need their limits cut because (relatively) few people can afford high end bucket fillers?

We pay the DNR to watch our fish populations. Even the latest lowering of limits on the Mississippi, it was made clear the science didn’t call for it, the limits where changed for the public.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I understand completely. It’s a slippery slope. Maybe we can get people to post pictures of the fish house cities on Red & LOTW this weekend.

MnFish i’m pretty certain is gone. coffee

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Instead of cutting limits and seasons, how about increase stocking? Every lake in the state could be another Red in short order.

-J.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If I had a dollar for everytime I put someone on the spot, told them the exact details and tactics necessary, and they left empty handed… I’d have enough money for panoptix.

rotflol

And thats just days they were biting!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Instead of cutting limits and seasons, how about increase stocking? Every lake in the state could be another Red in short order.

-J.

I believe the issue with stocking is that once you introduce a stocked fish, the genetic strain is diluted. That is why they prefer not to stock Mille Lacs with walleyes. They would rather have it remain “pure.” I think stocking is very beneficial for many species in certain bodies of water, don’t get me wrong.

The goal should be a naturally reproducing population with selective harvest IMO. Fish stocks are being depleted in many locations around the globe and without limitations there won’t be any left to catch, much less harvest.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is Panoptix really much different from side scan in the summer? I’d say lake maps and gps have had the biggest impact year round. Ice augers were a huge cheat too, why can’t you chisel a hole like Grandpappy? chased jester

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.