Canola in food plots

• deertracker

We have a 20 acre field that I thought was going to be alfalfa this year. Instead I saw a yellow flowered plant that after some research I believe is canola. Will deer eat this. Not sure what the farmer is using it for but it looks like a great yield. Here is a picture of an area field with the same stuff.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20150707_133413.jpg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Deer love canola. In Canada they are growing more of it every year. The demand for canola oil is high therefor so is the price they get for the crop. When it gets more mature the stalks are not palatable to deer though. It has a short growing season, so it will probably be harvested on or before bow opener even unless he planted it late.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We have a 20 acre field that I thought was going to be alfalfa this year. Instead I saw a yellow flowered plant that after some research I believe is canola. Will deer eat this. Not sure what the farmer is using it for but it looks like a great yield. Here is a picture of an area field with the same stuff.
    DT

You already have it in your food plot, DT.

Or specifically, a very close relative. Canola a member of the brassica family and it is actually a cutivar of rapeseed. Which is a component in all the best Brassica food plot blends blends.

Canola is a type of oilseed crop like rape and mustard. The seeds are crushed to produce oil and then the seeds are used as meal for animal feed after pressing.

In the northern prairie Provinces in Canada like SK, this stuff is grown in endless fields. Quite an impressive sight.

As Sticker says, deer love it. I think the only reason it grows well is that in big fields you don’t see the amount the deer eat. The problem with planting a pure food plot of Canola is that it’s like wheat, if allowed to come to maturity it then begins to die back in September. In a food plot blend, the deer won’t let it get mature.

Grouse

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.