Canning and pickling time

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

14 qts stewed tomatoes, 7 pints tomato juice. Doesn’t include the double batch of summer cukes and batch of another cuke recipe. Then cut the lawn, I’m shot.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180812_191148424.jpg

jake47
    WI

35 quarts of pickles today. We have it down pretty good. Little over 2 hours to get it done.

We are at 133 quarts and 6 one gallon jars as of now this year.

Wow that’s some serious speed! How are you processing them? Water bath? Pressure canner?

riverruns
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>riverruns wrote:</div>
    35 quarts of pickles today. We have it down pretty good. Little over 2 hours to get it done.

We are at 133 quarts and 6 one gallon jars as of now this year.

Wow that’s some serious speed! How are you processing them? Water bath? Pressure canner?

Water bath. 13 minutes a batch.

After Friday’s canning we’re at 177 quarts and 8 gallons. Took today off from work. Another round of canning pickles doah and going to make our freezer corn. waytogo

riverruns
    Inactive

22 quarts of pickles done this morning.

Corn kinda sucks but not terrible. We did enough to do just under a 5 gallon pail of corn. The process just takes time.

I won’t eat corn from a can or the corn that is served at most functions or schools. You can recognize that stuff by looking at the big old yellow kernels soaking.

Kong

60 pints of freezer corn done. Every year I forget how much I dislike husking corn around this time.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Salsa batch number 1 complete!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180814_074503701_LL.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

there corn in that??????

looks good!!!!!!!!!! peace peace

i’m still looking for local corn stands to do mine for the winter. kinda picky too as i would really like the peaches and creme corn to put up, but…………. the first tasty sweet corn i come across will suffice.

Kong

I found the peaches and creme corn at the downtown Minneapolis farmers Market last Thursday. It was one of the first good batches I have seen all year.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

there corn in that??????

looks good!!!!!!!!!! peace peace

i’m still looking for local corn stands to do mine for the winter. kinda picky too as i would really like the peaches and creme corn to put up, but…………. the first tasty sweet corn i come across will suffice.

No. The white particles are either pepper veins or garlic. My wife didnt cut all the garlic small enough. It does look good. I have 4 different kinds of peppers. Need some time to cure but it passes the taste test. Will have to do it all over again as soon as next batch of tomatoes are ripe.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Chunky salsa good waytogo !!!

riverruns
    Inactive

Here’s where I’m at on the pickles. 257 quarts canned so far. 101 quarts that are a good hot. I put a half of Habanaro in each quart jar along with dill and garlic.

The regular I’m at 156 quarts. Same process but I leave out the Habanaro.

I also make gallon jars of refrigerator pickles. These don’t need to be processed but need refrigeration after 3 days of counter time. 11 gallons so far.

I’ll be done by late August.

The corn we did Monday was a 5 gallon pail before we processed it. We cut it off the cob raw and process it. 19 quart bags. 3 1/2 cups a freezer bag.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

“Tom doesn’t cooking that take the fresh out of the meaning of fresh!?”….Glenn

That’s spaghetti sauce big guy. The salsa I made later and it was fresh….tiny bit warm but fresh.

Both of these took a ride to Orr, MN to feed some friends. Good stuff but I did get chewed for making the salsa too hot. I thought it was just right.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

by sat afternoon i expect to be done with the 2018 canning and garden picklin season. tonight will be the last batch of salsa, and sat doing stewed maters and mater juice. then puttin the stuff away for the season. means more room in the garage!!!!!! peace peace

is it just me or does it seem like coming to the end seems early this year????????

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Seems early here too. Tomatoes are all but done except the yellow ones and one of the red heirloom. Cukes are finite. Bean will still go if we get rain in the next couple days. Squash….I haven’t clue how they are ripe-wise. I’ll let them go until the vines freeze off.

Got the grapes into wine now and its fermenting….just got the yeast in a while ago and its already bubbling nice. Picked the hops this afternoon leaving the younger buds on the chance of rain. May have to re-pick but then that means a second trip to the brewery. toast

On one hand I am happy to see the early end and on the other I know I’ll miss the fresh veggies.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It’s definitely early. All my salsa and tomatoes from last year were dated Sept. This year all August.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Glen, what is your recipe for juice?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glen, what is your recipe for juice?

no real recipe. I usually sort tomatoes. Small ones for juice. Wash and cut out bad spots. Like I do my other tomatoes put in hot water like your going to skin them. Then run them threw a juicer. When done add some salt, heat till almost boil, out in jars and seal. Heat the seals in got water wipe jar rims, and tighten.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

This is the juicer I use.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180824_062924487.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Last nites work. 15 pints is salsa.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180824_063211702.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Glen I used to help mom with that juicer. I stepped it up with an attachment to my grinder. After I run my maders through, I run the skins and seeds back through twice and then there isn’t much left. I don’t have to core them, skin them nothing but take the stems off. WOW what a difference from what I used to do when helping mom. 3 to 4 gallon bucket packed full of maders, a couple of hours from set up to finishing cleanup. There maybe a quart bag of leftovers. All Juice.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Glen, you say they do need heated with a touch of salt to pack them into jars to process? Ok, I’m thinking here, need to raise the internal temp just enough to “can” them properly?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

You need to heat the tomatoes to skin and soften. Yes if I understand your question correctly, heat the juice till it just starts to boil, then put in jars.

I’ll be doing this later this morning, I’ll try to post pictures.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Yes, see my answer above on post # 1793637.

I had purchased a juicer that fit my #8 LEM Big Bite meat grinder. It seems to not care what you put into it, as long as it is cut up in a size that will push through a hole of about 1-1/2″ to 1-3/4″ and the seeds are less than 1/8″. I’m amazed at how well it works with little effort and time.

To circle back to my question Glenn, the juice just needs to simmer up enough to heat the product enough to process. I don’t remember helping mom through this step.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yes. I also heat the lids in boiling water before I put on jars. And for safe measure I set the jars upside down for a good 10 minutes for safe measure.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Its a shame you’re so quick getting this stuff done Glenn. I could have sent you a handful of these little numbers that could have been added to a pint of juice or a jar of pickles…beans or dills. They’d light up your life….and hinnie the next day. lol redface

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Its a shame you’re so quick getting this stuff done Glenn. I could have sent you a handful of these little numbers that could have been added to a pint of juice or a jar of pickles…beans or dills. They’d light up your life….and hinnie the next day. lol redface

blush jester yea thanks but no thanks! waytogo

riverruns
    Inactive

Tom, Habanaro?

I put 1/2 of one in my quart jars dill pickles. This is for my hot dill pickles. Give them a couple months and they are very good.

Attachments:
    1. 1535328870354729878056.jpg

riverruns
    Inactive

Experimented. We did 5 jars each with 2 teaspoons of horse radish. Also 2 jars of pickles my wife found a recipe for. These are bloody Mary pickles. WE’LL see how these turn out.

As of Thursday we are at 305 quarts canned. Picked today. 2 five gallon pails of cukes to do after work tomorrow.

Attachments:
    1. 1535329036376735596844.jpg

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Wowzer! That’s a lot of pickles! What is a good way to wash them up quick before canning? I did about 15 quarts this year. Hand washing each is a slow process when they are smaller.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.