Top Walleye Lures – Canadian Shield Lakes

• Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

If you had to limit yourself to one Plano tackle box (11″ x 7.25″ x 2.75″ – Deep StowAway Utility Box), and you wanted to put the top producing walleye lures in it, what would you absolutely have to have?

Chad Thompson

Don’t for get to specify colors

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I do this one every year. It’s also my set up for a canoe when I can’t bring the world.

Jigs and minnow if possible. If not, moxies and Pulse-Rs.

Rapalas
    Shad rap, black and white #8, bring 2
    Shad rap, blue and white #8
    Minnow raps, black and white, perch patterns, blue if room available. both sizes
    Deep husky jerks – brown and black 2 hook(x2), if later in season bring the 3 treble version in addition.
    Shallow husky jerks for pike/walleye – Blue and silver size 13 or next size smaller
    Tail dancer – shad pattern adn/or blue and white.

Live bait rigs or components to make rigs. Pretty easy to take some line off the spool and tie one up.

If it’s a pike trip I will add spoons, one or two bucktails, glidin’ rap, leaders, more shallow husky jerks, deep tail dancers.

What I don’t bring – Xraps, for some reason just can’t seem to catch walleye on them.

God I miss Canada The next trip can’t come soon enough.

Just realized this post was from Chad. I would bring those orange/yellow fireball jigs. Rumor has it they kill the walleye in his area.

wally1992
    Evansville MN

English river, Jigs,Jigs, and more Jigs. Your going to lose alot in the rocks, but man is it fun bangin them on the head with a jig.

We use frozen suckers,shiners,plastics, gulp. They all produce. Can not really pinpoint color.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What’s the water color? Is it that deep gold ore or the clearer waters, they can vary and do make a difference.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

That question is very easy…

1. White Zoom flukes; both baby and regular size.
    2. White 4″ twister tails.
    3. H2O 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz jig heads.

Have caught countless Canadian Pickeral with these combinations. I wouldn’t bother with live bait rigs or any crankbait type lures.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Jointed rapala #7 Fl. Orange red with some 1 1/2oz BBs that I would duct tape to outside of box and lots of Berkeley gulp minnow grub in fl. Orange. And whatever 1/4oz jigheads in fl. Orange or green or yellow I can find cheaply. Blue Original rapalas or husky jerks would need to be in there as well.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Quote:

If you had to limit yourself to one Plano tackle box (11″ x 7.25″ x 2.75″ – Deep StowAway Utility Box), and you wanted to put the top producing walleye lures in it, what would you absolutely have to have?

Just curious…Being from Canada and having access to Canadian Shield lakes in your backyard, what do you recommend??

Chad Thompson

KWP –

Man o Man… below is just a sample of my go to…

Probably a little overkill for most, but I am fishing from May to November so I need to keep mine with seasonal transitions in mind .

# 5 Shad Raps, various colors
      # 7 Shad Raps, various colors
      1/16 – 1/2oz of my custom made jigs
      quality snaps
      quality swivels
      2 spools of 8lbs fire line
      1 spool of 4lbs fluorocarbon (leaders)
      plastics, 3-inch
      plastics 4 inch
      #12 Husky jerks, various colors
      #14 Husky jerks, various colors
      Rattle Baits, 1/2 ounce
      Spinners – mostly coloado blades (small and large), single hook for L. Nipigon and triple hook for inland lakes
      original beetle spins
    Chad Thompson

Don’t forget my tools –

jaw spreader
    needle nose
    whistle
    knife
    head lamp
    matches
    compass
    spare auto key

just to name a few – but these mainly go in my back pack and not in my tackle box

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

1 jig tied to the rod, 1 jig in the box….gotta save room for beverages!!

Chad Thompson

Oh you guy you… you silly man… just because you kill big bears doesn’t mean you get to be a smarta$$ about fishing

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Come on Chad…this could be your new marketing campaign. All you need to catch fish at Pasha are a couple of jigs.

To be quite honest..the last time I was at Pasha for a strictly fishing trip I hauled up my entire arsenal, and only used 2 jigs for the week. Oh…and I caught a ton of walleye.

What have you been doing all winter Chad?

Chad Thompson

Not much unfortunately… although I am at the point where I am ready to be back on the water… like, yesterday! Look forward to fishing with you this year… it’s been awhile since you blessed us with your presence!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.