canada question

• mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

I am taking the family on a fishing trip to Canada next week can any one tell me what I can not take over like bait or any certain foods

bigstorm
    Southern WI

You cant take any live bait other than crawlers in bedding (no dirt). You can take salted minnows and they work pretty well too

As far as foods, I dont know what you can or cant take and some of it depends on which state it was purchased in.

Personally, we dont take any chicken, eggs, potatoes or onions, we just get this things up there (if needed). Same with our bait, we take salted fatheads with, but order everything else up there

blank

I passed through Fort Frances about a month ago and they didn’t ask us anything about food. In fact, the half dozen times I’ve passed over the border in the last 3 years I’ve never been asked about any food we have with us.

Since we said no to having any bait with us, I can’t tell you what restrictions they have on that. Bait is easy to buy up there (and easier to keep alive) so I don’t see a big need to bring it with.

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

thanks for the replies

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

We go to Manitoba every spring. Last year they took our eggs. First time ever for us. This year they never asked what food we had.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

no chicken, eggs, potatoes or onions,

We do about the same, Sometimes depends on the year. Sometimes things are restricted but they don’t ask. Never been asked about onions in 12 years.

Potatoes used to be a no no but I don’t think so anymore. Chicken was a big deal a year or two ago when that flu was wiping everything out.

Fresh fruits got us on the way back into the U.S. one time. Despite the hassle of a delay we had a really nice conversation with the ag officer, all fishing tongue

If you do crawlers from the states, have a receipt. That helps with the border guard.

Craig Schmitt
    west union ia

Went through fort Francis last week had bait,food patatoes,meat,140 cans of beer 1 role of chew, 30 gal of gas told him everything and never had to pay duty just sent on our way very wierd year same on the way home just two of us always pay duty but even beer was cheap up there 24$ a case at souix lookout

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.