California boat inspection

• tommybe1

We have a mussel problem here and a inspection is required in order to launch in most all lakes in this area. If any water comes out of the motor while tilting it up and down you’re not allowed to launch. I raise and lower it multiple times and dry it off but I still get a drop or two coming out of the intakes when I get to the lake. I have a Suzuki df50 outboard. Any tips on how to prevent this would be greatly appreciated, thankyou

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Move

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oh boy – shock roll

bigpike

Move

X2

Almost got sucked in that vortex a few years ago job hunting. Thank God that didn’t work out.

In response to your other problem would compressed air blown into the intakes do the trick?

404 ERROR
    MN

I thought CA got rid of the mussel problem back in 2011?…

Ok, back to reality. Compressed air in the pee hole should do the trick. Or do what we do in the winter and lower the motor all the way down, start it for a second or two and kill it. Most water will be pushed out of the cavities and only running it for a second or two shouldn’t do damage to your impeller.

Attachments:
    1. arnold.jpg

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I lived in CA for the last two years and now thankfully am back in WI! I never had any issues at the reservoirs. I would always lower the main motor and kicker when leaving and still on the ramp incline. Let them drain and good to go.

I would occasionally have a drop or two come out during the inspection, but they never turned me away. I think they are looking for volumes of water, not a teaspoon or less.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I think they are looking for volumes of water, not a teaspoon or less.

Seriously? In the same state that requires veryand any product to have a cancer warning sticker?

tommybe1

Thank you all for your reply’s, I’m in the san francisco bay area and their pretty anal about the inspections. I think they want you to rent their boats. I shall definitely give the compressed air a try. As far as moving, its 75 here today -)

munchy
    NULL

As far as moving, its 75 here today

That sounds boring. moon

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I would imagine one of those air duster cans would be the ticket. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 412lzqUeL._SL1500_.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thank you all for your reply’s, I’m in the san francisco bay area and their pretty anal about the inspections. I think they want you to rent their boats. I shall definitely give the compressed air a try. As far as moving, its 75 here today -)

80 here. No inspections too. grin

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Would storing in the down position between trips let the last few drops drain out or dry up?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m in the san francisco bay area and their pretty anal

This is a joke right??

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tommybe1 wrote:</div>
    I’m in the san francisco bay area and their pretty anal

This is a joke right??

Uhh..no comment…

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

X2 on turn the engine over for a second and kill it will shoot any water out won’t hurt anything doing it for a second.

Doesn’t sound like good ice fishing conditions there. But you could water ski year round. Which is nice

munchy
    NULL

wave

Attachments:
    1. CF0196A7-ACE3-4D0D-9C5C-0080558A7BC2.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I once asked an OSHA Inspector “Is there a job site in the entire United States that you could walk up to and NOT be able to write up a citation?” He smiled and said no, I could find something to write up anywhere, anytime. I asked him How can that possibly be? He couldn’t give me an answer.

Their pretty anal? I don’t know if I should laugh or cry.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m impressed, he took the comments that weren’t helpful well. I was hoping to say that he said ANY tips would be greatly appreciated.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I was hoping to say that he said ANY tips would be greatly appreciated.

Is this a game to you?

shock

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    I was hoping to say that he said ANY tips would be greatly appreciated.

Is this a game to you?

shock

Are you new here? laugh

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Pee hole, anal, blown, tips…I guess if you are searching keywords, at least it’ll bring you to the right thread….San Francisco.

Well played applause

tommybe1

Your tips are greatly appreciated and I’m glad I could provide a little amusement for the rest of you. I do store it in the down position, no help, I will try the compressed air, thanks again to all.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Good luck! I couldn’t imagine taking all the steps to be careful, preparing to fish, only to be turned away at the ramp.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

It is a little strange wondering if after the drive to the lake whether you’ll actually be able to launch. The one that always killed me was when they wanted to look in your bilge after there had been some rain that week. (former CA resident)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.