Burning/Sealing Ash Log for Outdoor Table Questions?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Due to ash borer I’m in the process of clearing the ash trees off my lot. Man, my best and biggest trees soon to be firewood. Bummer.

Anyway, I’ve cut some thin rounds and want to make some bonfire tables. After some experimenting, I think I like a lightly burnt look. Then what? Should I oil them? What product?
    Just seal em? What should I use to seal them for outdoor use? Any tips would be appreciated.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3126.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

I think I’d move the pieces you want for table tops inside a garage or other dry building for 6-8 months to dry and cure a bit. Getting after the surfaces you want for the tops will be easier to sand if dried. Any splitting will take place during this dry-out period too instead of after you’ve done the tables.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Yup. I’ve got four sitting in the shed. If it works I think they will look pretty cool.

Deuces

Acclimation will be important, although for outdoor use I wouldn’t be able to tell ya what that process is.

I’ve seen some very exquisite wood pieces in customers homes need to be returned and worked on due to cracking.

munchy
    NULL

Rule of thumb is 1 year of drying per inch of thickness before being sealed.

However this being an outdoor project, and you likely being in MN or close to, with the crazy temp and humidity swings we get I can’t confirm anything will hold up without serious cracking.

But I’d use an exterior epoxy.

B-man

Do some research on “Polyethylene glycol” or “PEG” waytogo

It helps to minimize checking/cracking

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.