Gathering Bullheads

• TMF89

Hey guys. It’s been a few years since I’ve gone chasing flatheads, and the normal couple spots I could usually catch bullheads at have turned into nothing but stunted sunnies. I’m wondering what you guys do to try to weed through the bluegills? Or am I better off just trying to find a different spot? Now that the rivers are down to normal, we’re thinking of getting out in the next week or two. Thanks!

dbright
    Cambridge

If you think they are still there try at dark. One of the spots I use to catch bait would do the same this time of year when the water was low.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If you put your location in your profile or in the post, it would help us give you the best answer.

Gills will work very good but your limited to the Wisconsin side of the St Croix or Mississippi Rivers.

Personally I would rather use suckers (or even creek chubs this time of year) Suckers are too expensive (for me this year). Creek chubs can be found on pretty much any creek. I just fish around bridges.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Several things you can try that will produce bullheads this time of year.
    #1: Put out some standard minnow traps with some dog food or some cut bait in the traps. Increase the size of the trap openings a bit. Let them soak overnight and check them in the morning. Usually you will get one or two per trap so put out several traps.
    #2: One of the things you can try when hook and line fishing for bullheads is to go to minnows or small pieces of cut bait for the bullheads. You need to bait the bullheads with something the stunted sunfish will not chase. Small pieces of cut anything will get you bullheads.
    #3: Another trick is to fish for the bullheads right on the bottom instead of suspending your bait. I have this fishing pier that I can catch bullheads off but I have to use cut bait and have to drop the bait straight down under the pier quickly or the darn sunfish will be all over the bait. Once the bait hits the bottom the bullheads are right there and they seem to own the bottom. They don’t seem to bite as fast and furious as in the spring but you can still get a few. I found I was catching bigger bullheads with the cut bait too.
    #4: Don’t totally give up on your normal bullhead spots. As someone else mentioned you may just need to change your bullhead catching time. You may have your best luck right at sunset or for those couple of hours right after sunset. The mosquitoes will drive you nuts but the bullheads seem to bite pretty good after dark.

TMF89

Thanks for the tips guys, I do appreciate it. I actually have been probably fishing the spots a bit earlier (on average) than I used to, although not by much, but maybe that extra bit of low-light time might be the ticket. I’ve thought about switching from worms to half a crappie minnow or something like that, I’ll have to give it a try.

Unfortunately I’m in MN (the Metro specifically), so no sunnies for me. Finding a good spot to catch chubs has been on the bucket list for forever, I just need to get around to doing it one of these days!

I was thinking about doing the minnow trap trick, I used to catch them that way back when I did more flatheading in high school, I just haven’t gotten around to picking up some more traps yet. Thanks again for the help guys!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Unfortunately I’m in MN (the Metro specifically), so no sunnies for me.

Just for clarification, it doesn’t matter where you live or which state’s license you carry…you are allowed to use sunfish as bait on the Wi side of the river.

Transporting them can be done by bringing along your own water.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.