Budget braid line

• isu22andy

Anyone find any worth a dang ? Have been a big fan of power pro and suffix 832 . Been moving more rods to hi vis as well as adding more trolling and different application combos . Gets annoying buying an 18 dollar spool of line to get 1.3 spinning rods per spool .

Have been looking at kast king silky 8 and Reaction tackle x8 . Have used some Dawia j braid for heavier applications and really liked it . Have always went 8 carrier but maybe I should go 4 ? Concerned when pitching light jigs with quality ……breaking a large fish off at the boat is comparable to the pain women experience during child birth .

Thanks

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Line is the last thing I would go cheap on. Good braid will last a few years on each rod. You can then reverse it and spool it onto a new rod. Usually the back half of the spool never even sees water.

Save money somewhere else imho.

Reef W

Gets annoying buying an 18 dollar spool of line to get 1.3 spinning rods per spool .

Powerpro 20lb and up comes in 1500yd spools. It’s a little cheaper per yard and you don’t have wasted leftovers.

Ripjiggen

First I would say buy in bigger bulk spools to eliminate waste and look for deals. You could get it to close to half that price.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I’ve used Kast King braid and have had good luck with it. Got the 15 pound bulk spool and use it for a lot of my spinning rods. Otherwise I mostly use Suffix 832 and Fireline Crystal.

Pitter patter

I use reaction tackle from Amazon, no issue so far. Line is probably like everything else, made in 1 or 2 Chinese factories, you just pay more for name brands

Hoyt4
    NULL

832 is what I have on all my rod setups. As stated above you get years off it and can spool onto other setups to have fresh line on front.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I have used most of the popular varieties.
    I’ve got a few setups spooled with the suffix performance braid. No complaints yet, and for less than half the price of 832. I don’t believe the performance braid is available in high vis though.
    At $6.99 for 150yds it’s worth trying out.

Riverrat

You guys must be short on zebra mussels or something. I go through 2 spoolings in general on the spinning reels I use most. The larger rigs do okay, but my light and med light lines are almost always two spools a year. But I still cough up the money for the power pro.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

You guys must be short on zebra mussels or something. I go through 2 spoolings in general on the spinning reels I use most. The larger rigs do okay, but my light and med light lines are almost always two spools a year. But I still cough up the money for the power pro.

I assume you’re using a flouro or mono leader with braid? I fish zebra mussel lakes and have reels with 4-5yr old braid on them. I’m not sure how you can lose so much line in one season. My trolling rods get used almost exclusively on mille lacs and that braid is coming up on 10 years old without a problem.

Deuces

Line is the last thing I would go cheap on. Good braid will last a few years on each rod. You can then reverse it and spool it onto a new rod. Usually the back half of the spool never even sees water.

Save money somewhere else imho.

X2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Riverrat wrote:</div>

I assume you’re using a flouro or mono leader with braid? I fish zebra mussel lakes and have reels with 4-5yr old braid on them. I’m not sure how you can lose so much line in one season. My trolling rods get used almost exclusively on mille lacs and that braid is coming up on 10 years old without a problem.

Rivers seem to eat line for myself. I also usually run out of braid b4 it goes bad.

Riverrat

Yeah I started using a leader alot more regularly now than I used too. My lighter weight reels only hold about 90 yards, and shore fishing on a river is alot harder on line than being able to choose your depth whenever you want.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I can see going through more line on the river.
    I use heavier leaders and light wire hooks on the river. I can pull the hook straight before the line will fail. Saves a lot of jigs, time re-tying, and line.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I run leaders on my river setups. That will usually break off before the braid.

Riverrat

Its not so much break offs but chaffing. That’s where a nice round braid 8 carrier really shows the difference. The flat braids come seperated when they chaff on a log or on the zebra mussels, the round braid stays together but individual strands break off.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I tried the cheap stuff on eBay, didn’t like it at all. Way too stiff. I tried 1530 and 60.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Anyone find any worth a dang ? Have been a big fan of power pro and suffix 832 . Been moving more rods to hi vis as well as adding more trolling and different application combos . Gets annoying buying an 18 dollar spool of line to get 1.3 spinning rods per spool .

Have been looking at kast king silky 8 and Reaction tackle x8 . Have used some Dawia j braid for heavier applications and really liked it . Have always went 8 carrier but maybe I should go 4 ? Concerned when pitching light jigs with quality ……breaking a large fish off at the boat is comparable to the pain women experience during child birth .

Thanks

I’ve mentioned it before and I’ll mention it again. If you fish alot it is well worth your time to get the NPAA membership every year for the members only discounts. The membership is $100.

Examples – St. Croix/Okuma 40% off – 30-40% off discounts on dakota lithium and norsk. Rapala (includes suffix, VMC, 13 fishing) 40% off. The list goes on.

For context on your 832. The 150 yard spool is $11 – The 300 yard is $20 – The 600 yard is $40. They go all the way up to 3500 yard, which for that is $200 and a savings of $160.

I save well over $2500 a year utilizing the discounts. Well worth the $100.

https://www.npaa.net/

CBMN
    North Metro

Joe’s just had an end of season sale and line was 50% off. I usually stock up on the commodity items when I know I can find a good price. I have also been lucky enough to stock up on some line I like for certain applications when it was discontinued. I have a lot of rods so I usually get years out of most line like Grubson.

isu22andy

Got the silky 8 in 10 lb today . Honesltly impressed. Seems very close in diameter and smoothness to 832 . Grass green Color seems a little lighter than neon 832 . See how it holds up .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.