Bucking rivets in a boat info

• mrpike1973

Is it better to hammer from the outside in with a metal block in the inside? I have 5-6 that seap no major leak but annoying have tried marine weld no good got some Flex Seal coming. it’s all in one area. Should I grind and get rid of all the old marine weld before I try the flex steel? I have hammered until blue in the face. I cannot find any place that has boat rivets and my local marine center said always best never to drill them out. If it matters it’s a Lund boat I have had 3 all leaked only ones out of the upteen other boats I have had. I really want to fix the rivets not band aid them. It’s about 6 inches long of rivets together. Thank You

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The one on the outside gets the anvil. Inside gets the hammer.

Idea being you SUCK the outside IN to create the bind.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I had a leak in the bow of 2 of my 14′ Alumacraft row boats. I too pounded until my ears rang. Each rivet set on a railroad track iron (I don’t have an anvil) and peening from the top. No luck.

Someone at Alumacraft told me to use – Vulkem 116 sealant. I power washed, wire wheeled on a drill then used Denatured Alcohol to final clean. Both boats – no leaks. Home Depot.

Timmy

I did nearly the same as Hodag…. but the product I used was “Gluvit”. I read about it on some aluminum hull repair threads I found on an interweb search.

It is a two part marine epoxy sealant that seeps into seams and seals up leaking rivets and cracks. Seems to have worked as advertised.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

SikaFlex 221 does an amazing job on a hull.
    I have some on my rivets from 5 years ago. That’s a lot of boat rides.

Matt Coffey

X2 on the sikaflex 221. I used that on my recent boat rebuild and it worked great.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.