Brats

• Deuces

Tried the oven baked tonight, worked good, first time doing er, not sure I’d do it again if the grill is available. Be a good winter tactic tho.

Did some hyvees tonight, yup, way better than Johnsonville. Been on the Johnny train for awhile, startling ya forget how good a brat can be, and not as aforementioned shrink by half.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

pineapple brats and you won’t go back to anything else. only my local shop does them but I am sure you can find any flavor you desire. with brats, for me its all about either sweet and salty or sweet and heat. i try to cook em slow with indirect heat on a kettle but its all in how you like them.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

not a big brat guy????? doah especially Johnsonville………..ish!!! think it has alot to do with back in the day we had them way to much camping. and Johnsonville quality has gone down the toilet.

now a good plain hometown buthcer shop, no high temp cheese no other added ingredients brat slow cooked on a grill is perrty good!!!!!!!

now i want some!!!!!

CaptainMusky

I like the hatch chili pepper brats I get each summer, but you can only get them for like a month because those peppers are only grown in like Arizona or something like that.

JEREMY
    BP

When people say boil them I would assume not actually boil. The reason to do that step first is to partially cook so as not to explode trying to grill. If you would actually boil them they would pop in the water and lose all their juice and cheese or what not. Im not a big brat guy but Im gonna have to get some now.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Big Werm prefers his brats split like mad, with all the flavor and juices burnt off on the grill. There’s nothing like an extra dry brat to send you racing for more beer afterwards!

devil

…Big Werm is this your Twitter handle in this picture?!?

Attachments:
    1. 1660477763918-1.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

…Big Werm is this your Twitter handle in this picture?!?

Easy bud, thems fighting words! We are talking brats and yes I do not enjoy a soaked bun or hot shots of liquid in my mouth, your mileage may vary not that there’s anything wrong with that. rotflol rotflol rotflol

As for steak I like it on the rare side of medium rare, and S&P is the choice for me!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas! Lots of options when it comes to grilling brats. Tonight I just decided to start simple and grill up some Johnsonville Stadium Brats with some sauerkraut and baked beans! They’re delicious!!
    toast

Attachments:
    1. Brats-20240510_185002.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Nice job Sharon……you can’t go wrong with charcoal! I wasted like 15 years of my grilling life using propane and wish I could have that back. It took me into my late 30’s to appreciate brats. They just don’t look that great uncooked but once you find your favorite one, you will be hooked.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

If you ever make it to a Fareway grocery store, it’s mostly an Iowa chain, but there’s one in Rochester I believe, they make awesome brats. Recommend!

JEREMY
    BP

This made me pick up some Coborns brats. Eating one right now for lunch at work and it is boring as hell. I think the bun has more flavor.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I grilled up some “Smoked Street Corn” brats from The Durand Smokehouse last night. Those, along with the Onion-Sriracha we had a couple weeks ago are definitely on my Mt. Rushmore of bratwursts.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

This made me pick up some Coborns brats. Eating one right now for lunch at work and it is boring as hell. I think the bun has more flavor.

I generally get the bacon cheddar one’s or one of the other flavors.. don’t buy just the plain one’s from them

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just picked up some Plantenberg’s, from Richmond brats/polish….there plain smoked and philly cheesesteak ones for cabin trips!!!

riverbassman

Johnsonville are WAY to greasy and fatty now for me. I think something changed over the years. However, the Stadium pre-cooked you ended up going with are very good in my opinion.
    I know I will get roasted, but I was in a jam for a work potluck and I grabbed Walmart branded Marketfresh (I think name was) and WOW, was I surprised how good they were! Just food for thought.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I had Brats on the pellet grill last night. I do like to part way precook mine in beer ( Used a Castle Danger cream ale last night ) then slow cook/smoke them the rest of the way with a high heat sear at the end.

CaptainMusky

I think the bun has more flavor.

LOL were these fresh brats or smoked ones? Ive enjoyed most of their stuff from the Four Brothers brand which is made by Manea’s in Sauk Rapids.

JEREMY
    BP

Fresh original flavor.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

If your going to use a greasy brat like Johnsonvilles than soak them in the beer after cooking.I like them that way.The grease that cooks out of them is then replaced by the beer.They look shriveled up off the grill but plump up in the beer.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

New flavor for lunch today. Yes, I have a sweet tooth. toast

Favorite place to get brats is Paul n Kathy’s in Upsala. Gotta have 50+ flavors of made in house brats.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20240516_121729130-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20240516_115732791_HDR-scaled.jpg

robby
    Quad Cities

No need to boil first, but you can if you wish. They turn out the same in my opinion. I used to buy frozen brats at Menard’s. They were really great and had a few varieties.

Deuces

Let the bratting commence toast

Attachments:
    1. 20240518_151950-scaled.jpg

tim hurley

So much at the butcher shop is better yet from my experience they do not beat the JV Brat.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Let the bratting commence toast

Ya, I musta not got my E-vite. flame rotflol

Where U at?

Jimmy Jones

If you ever make it to a Fareway grocery store, it’s mostly an Iowa chain, but there’s one in Rochester I believe, they make awesome brats. Recommend!

Byron or Stewartville, Steve, for Fareway stores. And their cut-to-order meats are exceptional too.

I grind pork shoulder, season and stuff my own brats so I don’t waste much money buying them.

JEREMY
    BP

Must be losing my taste buds or something. Got fresh original brats from local meat market Saturday and they seemed bland to me to. My daughters wolfed them down so that was a plus. Got pork burgers also and as always they were delicious.

Deuces

Mango habanero were pretty bomb Saturday. Sunday reminded me of a classic Seagal movie ….
    lol

picklerick
    Central WI

I’ve been getting some tasty Pick n Save brand brats lately. They have a #2 pack of six for $8, so they’re big boys. They also have Italian and Polish sausages. They were out of brats yesterday, so I grabbed a pack of Polish to grill for supper tonight. Been making pickled red onions lately and will never not have them in the fridge. A little mustard and kraut to go on top as well.

Riverrat

I’ve been getting some tasty Pick n Save brand brats lately. They have a #2 pack of six for $8, so they’re big boys. They also have Italian and Polish sausages. They were out of brats yesterday, so I grabbed a pack of Polish to grill for supper tonight. Been making pickled red onions lately and will never not have them in the fridge. A little mustard and kraut to go on top as well.

Do you get them little stringy pieces of skin in your pickled red onions? I like to keep pulled pork and what not around all summer and thought it would be great to have pickled onions in the fridge too, but the membranes between the rings of onions got stringy and tough.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.