Brakes

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s about that time. I’m at 95k with my ‘15 F150, rotors are warped and there’s no reason to push it any further. I always do my own and I was wondering what pads and rotors people recommend. I have a pair of OEM rotors at home that we’re going to be for my last truck but I sold it before I put them on. Apparently they fit this truck too.

I always went with the mid-grade when I went to the auto parts store when I owned older vehicles. They always sucked so now I want something at least as good as OEM from now on.

Should I buy OEM? Should I install the OEM rotators I have or buy aftermarket as well? If not, what should I get?

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I have had good luck with the Duralast Gold Ceramics from Autozone. I have an ’05 F150 and put the vast majority of miles on as highway miles to and from work. I do pull the fish house around 6-10 times throughout the year and have never felt the need for a different pad.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Oreillys turned my rotors for $14 a piece. Turned out great!

Do you tow alot? Semi-metallic may be the way to go. OEM is probably ceramic. My 2013 F150 had semi metallic when I bought it (ceramic oem) and they stop on a dime, however, they seem to aggressive for the traction control system.

I bought the truck used from a Ford dealer with new brakes all around. Not sure if OEM or not. Nothing is stamped FoMoCo. They have lasted well with virtually no dust, but the rear rotors warped something awful. Chocked it up to me not torquing lugs properly or dunking them in the lake after a long haul.

I can tell you to stay away from the NAPA brake parts. Our service vans run them and they warp in no time.

watisituya
    North Metro

Try rockauto most the OEM or better parts there are about as expensive as the cheapest option at the auto parts store.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The only rotors that I will use is Bosch Quiet Ride, they don’t warp like many of the others I have tried. You also can’t go wrong with OEM. When I get parts from the parts store and not OEM I get the best they offer, too many times have lower grade parts failed for me. Along the OEM line, a lot of time their parts are the same or not much more than parts stores and they have a lot more testing behind them for your specific vehicle.

TipUpFishOn

Powerstop Z36. Prices are better than in store for just about any set. They are awesome rotors and pads. The link below is for a 2011-14, but it may be the same for 15.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JSDGUKE/?tag=powsto07-20

+1, have had good experiences with Powerstop brakes. OEM would be fine as well. I’d stay away from any of the “house” brands at the auto parts stores as those rotors aren’t nearly the same quality. As someone previously mentioned, check out Rockauto as they usually have the best prices. Semi metallic pads will give you better initial bite but with more dust, ceramics should give you less dust but with slightly less initial bite.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I guess I’m a little less concerned about dust. I’d just rather have the best value considering performance and life are my top priorities.

I never thought I’d go 95k on a set of brakes so I was wondering if there’s any reason to not go OEM. I’ve seen powerstop recommended a lot in my google searches.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

I put powerstop z36 brakes on my last tundra. I wasn’t impressed. They had noticeably less stopping power than the oem. I only had the truck for another 18k after the powerstop were put on so I can’t comment on how long they last. My original brakes went 132k.

404 ERROR
    MN

I put powerstop z36 brakes on my last tundra. I wasn’t impressed. They had noticeably less stopping power than the oem. I only had the truck for another 18k after the powerstop were put on so I can’t comment on how long they last. My original brakes went 132k.

Is it possible they weren’t installed correctly? They are directional rotors. The recommendations are unanimous on any truck forum you’ll see.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Always buy after market parts except for brakes, seems like oem rotors have always been the best for me as far as not warping.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr. Derek wrote:</div>

Is it possible they weren’t installed correctly? They are directional rotors. The recommendations are unanimous on any truck forum you’ll see.

Anything is possible but I put them on how they were labeled. I also cleaned and bedded them per the instructions.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Buy a good rotor that is coated. Seems like fewer problems with those. I use a high quality ceramic pad for 2 reasons :
    1– low dust
    2– very little noise

With metallic pads you sometimes get squeels or a grinding noise when stopping and usually lots of black wheel dust. People hate new brakes that sound like old brakes.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Advance Auto has 30 and 40% off online codes, I got rotors and pads for my F-150 for just over a little $100 and they have 40k no problems pulling a 175 boat.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

95K on the originals?
    I think you answered your own question.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

95K on the originals?

I know, right? The variable is now I’m doing the work. shock

I was almost going to write: “I’m putting OEM brakes on my truck, change my mind.” The reality is this is really what I’m thinking.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    95K on the originals?

I know, right? The variable is now I’m doing the work. shock

I was almost going to write: “I’m putting OEM brakes on my truck, change my mind.” The reality is this is really what I’m thinking.

Clean and re-grease the slides, torque everything to spec and you should be good.

Are you redoing the parking brakes also?

catnip
    south metro

There is a difference in the pads and rotors you usually buy from the dealer as OEM stuff and the ACTUAL parts that were installed at the time of manufacturing. And the price difference is huge. If you’re lucky enough to have a person at the parts counter that knows the difference and how to find them i suggest getting them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There is a difference in the pads and rotors you usually buy from the dealer as OEM stuff and the ACTUAL parts that were installed at the time of manufacturing. And the price difference is huge. If you’re lucky enough to have a person at the parts counter that knows the difference and how to find them i suggest getting them.

The rotors were purchased by a ford employee a few years back so I could get ford pricing. I haven’t bought pads yet.

Are you redoing the parking brakes also?

Wasn’t planning on it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.