Brake Line – 2013 Dual Axle

• Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I noticed when I got to the launch yesterday one of my lines was hanging down from the frame. The picture isn’t my trailer but it looks similar enough for an example. The line in question is the left line which spans the trailer right to left. The male fitting snapped off which is a stupid story. Anyway, I need to replace that one line. Is there anything special I need to consider or is it as easy as plug & play with this?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-07-02-124046.png

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have never changed trailer brake lines but I would imagine you would have to do some kind of bleeding process to get the air out of the new line.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have never changed trailer brake lines but I would imagine you would have to do some kind of bleeding process to get the air out of the new line.

I would tend to agree. I had a leak in my single axle with surge brakes and fixed the leak and we had to do some sort of bleed using the tongue and a pry bar. Mine is drum but principal is the same. Assuming your is electric then probably some way to energize the caliper pistons to bleed it out when done.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Did you cap off the broken line before launching?

If not and the lines went underwater, I’d want to purge the system in case water got in. Having a bunch of water and grit trapped in your brake fluid is no good for long term haalth.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Did you cap off the broken line before launching?

If not and the lines went underwater, I’d want to purge the system in case water got in. Having a bunch of water and grit trapped in your brake fluid is no good for long term haalth.

Good thought – figured this would turn into much more of a project than just replacing the line.

MX1825

Only had to manually bleed trailer brake lines once. A real pain. I would repair your line and take it to a shop that has a power or vacuum bleeder. JMO

mojogunter

I bought a vacuum bleeder from harbor freight. It was cheap. It works with an air hose plugged into it. It works really well. It still takes two people. One to slowly add brake fluid as it drops. It does not hold much fluid and it would be easy to run it dry by yourself. Then you need to start over. Pumping to bleed at the master cylinder is a major Pita.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.