Brainerd ice

• riverruns
    Inactive

Heck of a long ways off, only 5 weeks.

We have our group of 8 going to the Brainerd ice contest on January 25th. Us being 5 hours away, what’s the ice look like on Gull lake?

I called Grandview lodge 3 days ago and the gal on the phone said maybe this big storm would help it freeze up jester . She said no one is going out yet.

We have 7 day requirement to cancel our reservation and get the deposit back.

The backup weekend won’t work for us February 8th. One of the guys in the party is getting married. toast

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Whatever they have there is more snow piling on it now according to Lindyrig. He says the North end of Mille Lacs is getting it so Gull will be getting it.

5 weeks is a long time, little early to panic just yet.

riverruns
    Inactive

I dont know if its early to panic or not? That’s why I’m asking?

I’m not panicking, just asking. The forecast temps for long range dont look good. And a foot of snow on a little snow might not be good?

Is there much ice on Gull lake where the contest is held?
    Thanks.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’d cancel…what room are u in?

iTinker

No, I lived there for a very long time, and this is looking like they will likely push it back. The Sheriff makes the call and it has to be 19″ 2 weeks before the tournament. The resorts are great about getting you a spot if it gets pushed back though. Make sure you’re checking the brainerd dispatch and tournament site every morning.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Gull made it thru the first storm before it froze so it’s better than most of our lakes in Brainerd. My guess is 60-40 it’s a go if we get average cold and no more slush storms. This 4 inches of slush we got has cooked most of our lakes. Zero houses on our most popular lakes.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

No, I lived there for a very long time, and this is looking like they will likely push it back. The Sheriff makes the call and it has to be 19″ 2 weeks before the tournament. The resorts are great about getting you a spot if it gets pushed back though. Make sure you’re checking the brainerd dispatch and tournament site every morning.

If I remember…didn’t one year they move the venue to Round Lake or North Long when the ice wasn’t thick enough on Gull?

iTinker

They did a while back. If you’re not seeing hard houses in a week, that’s probably it.

riverruns
    Inactive

Thanks everyone for keeping me updated wave . I appreciate it waytogo . We have done this for a number of years, not many, maybe 7 now in a row. It’s a heck of a great time. The last 3 or 4 years we have stayed at Grandview lodge. Awesome place too stay.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Round froze early and is very, very slushy.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

also interested. We’ve gone the last 2 years. Stayed at Grandview lodge. Had an awesome time. doubt we’ll go if it gets pushed back

lshd69

Looks like some ice making weather is forecasted for next week. I sure hope it doesn’t get postponed. I’ll be in Florida February 8th.

iTinker

Hope doesn’t fix the snow and slush on the ice. The resorts will let you cancel the day it’s announced. I hope they get to have it whether it’s postponed or on time, because it does a lot of good for the area.

Like i said a few times since 1991. Dont cancel your rooms.

iTinker

Good sign. Hopefully the Sheriff agrees.

riverruns
    Inactive

Long range forecast on accuweather shows some mighty cold are up in that area. Should make some ice up until the 25th!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Brainerd JayCees announced yesterday they are going ahead with plans to have the Extravaganza on the posted date. Hole in the Day bay has pretty good ice to build on now without a lot of snow cover.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Does anyone know how some of the smaller area lakes are for travel? Like the Cullen chain for example? Would a 4 wheeler work or sled only?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Brainerd JayCees announced yesterday they are going ahead with plans to have the Extravaganza on the posted date.

That’s great! heard from a local friend of reports 12″-“14” for Hole in the Day.

Does anyone know how some of the smaller area lakes are for travel? Like the Cullen chain for example? Would a 4 wheeler work or sled only?

Sorry, bad back and other travel commitments have kept me from the cabin this year. I’m curious as well but this weekend is a no go for me again.

riverruns
    Inactive

That’s great! heard from a local friend of reports 12″-“14” for Hole in the Day.

Thanks for the information. That’s awesome news. I called up too Grandview Lodge today and they are pretty positive about it happening.

Those that have not been too this dont know what they are missing.

Friday afternoon at the Legion club in Nisswa for the meat raffle is a good time.

riverruns
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>
    Brainerd JayCees announced yesterday they are going ahead with plans to have the Extravaganza on the posted date.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Sorry, bad back and other travel commitments have kept me from the cabin this year. I’m curious as well but this weekend is a no go for me again.

Anyone have any updates on the ice on gull lake? applause
    We’re around 5 hours away and there is no information on the WWW roll to find any ice conditions for hole in the day bay. Thanks. toast

blank

About 12″ of solid ice and 3″ of frozen slush. Saw 3 trucks driving out last night by Ernies.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Pretty sure Hole in Day will be fine. For all you that are coming, DO NOT try to drive across the lake from other accesses like years past. Maybe change by the contest date but not before, so be very careful and check before you go. Gull has very inconsistent ice. Weirdest year ever!

riverruns
    Inactive

Thanks guys for the updates. I appreciate that.

riverruns
    Inactive

Sheriff’s Department issued the permit today. Sounds like 15-18 inches of ice. Contest is a go for the 25th!

riverruns
    Inactive

Anyone going? We’ll be there. 7 of us will be on the ice. Looks like the weather will be very nice this year.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Somewhere around year 14 for my crew. 10 of us. Talk about a bonus with that forecast, awesome!

FYI – looks like I might have 2-3 extra tickets and available for the early bird $30. Still firming this up but odds are high we have too many tickets.

riverruns
    Inactive

Somewhere around year 14 for my crew. 10 of us. Talk about a bonus with that forecast, awesome!

FYI – looks like I might have 2-3 extra tickets and available for the early bird $30. Still firming this up but odds are high we have too many tickets.

Where would I find you that Friday before the contest? I could use 1 ticket for sure. PM me if you you need too. Thanks.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.