Brainerd Burbot

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Now the question for me is what will the ice be like next weekend with mid 40’s projected for all week.

Those temps will do little to nothing to the ice thickness. It may do some damage to the landings. With all the travel of ice houses on and off the lakes the landings become a issue LONG before the actual ice conditions become a factor.

olas88

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>olas88 wrote:</div>
    Now the question for me is what will the ice be like next weekend with mid 40’s projected for all week.

Those temps will do little to nothing to the ice thickness. It may do some damage to the landings. With all the travel of ice houses on and off the lakes the landings become a issue LONG before the actual ice conditions become a factor.

Thanks for the info. The landing at Ernie’s was already bad this last weekend. I may try some other lakes up there so hopefully those landings will be ok this weekend.

TOM

Anyone know if craguns have a paid access site to get on the ice?

olas88

Sorry I dont, I will be looking for ice and landing condition updates for the Brainerd area if anyone is up there later this week. Warm weather is going to be brutal!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

as of yesterday the Grandview landing was still in good shape. That said it’s south facing and I would expect that to change.

olas88

as of yesterday the Grandview landing was still in good shape. That said it’s south facing and I would expect that to change.

Thanks! Yea those south facing ones tend to go first. I am looking for anything in the whitefish chain as well if anyone has any info. Few more days of warm weather are not going to help

olas88

Any ice/landing reports from the area? Thanks!

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

So I am new to the greasy game but I can’t help but wonder. If I am correct, the burbs are spawning now. I almost feel like if they are getting popular and people are growing to love these fish at an exponential rate, maybe fishing for them is not a good idea…Now, I haven’t the slightest clue to the reproductive science around burbot but we don’t fish other popular species during their respective breeding seasons.
    Can someone provide any insight here? I am not trying to push an opinion just trying to open up a discussion.

Gary

I haven’t the slightest clue to the reproductive science around burbot but we don’t fish other popular species during their respective breeding seasons.

Crappie, perch & sunfish are not popular? I thought I was missing something and had to pull up the 2021 MN fishing regs. Nope—Page 22 they are still continuous.

blank

I heard that Ernie’s closed their access the other day. People are still driving on the lake, I believe from Govt Landing and Hole In the Day, and various small private type access points. There was virtually no snow on the ice last night, so wear a pair of ice cleats.

olas88

I heard that Ernie’s closed their access the other day. People are still driving on the lake, I believe from Govt Landing and Hole In the Day, and various small private type access points. There was virtually no snow on the ice last night, so wear a pair of ice cleats.

Thanks for the info. Anyone know of access to Whitefish?

olas88

Burbot season closing in fast now! Anyone else ready? I have a few days in early March scheduled to be in the area.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Burbot season closing in fast now! Anyone else ready? I have a few days in early March scheduled to be in the area.

I have never targeted them but have caught many. I’d love to target them. But I bet I wouldn’t see any then lol.

olas88

Well my Canada trip bit the bullet so I now have 3 days in Bemidji and 3 days in Brainerd Anyone with pointers on where to target the pout in these locations. Bringing the 4 year olds with so it should be fun to seem them interact with their first Pout.

Understand no one want to hotspot these places so feel free to DM if that is the case. Thanks for all the input!

AK Guy

Well my Canada trip bit the bullet so I now have 3 days in Bemidji and 3 days in Brainerd Anyone with pointers on where to target the pout in these locations. Bringing the 4 year olds with so it should be fun to seem them interact with their first Pout.

Understand no one want to hotspot these places so feel free to DM if that is the case. Thanks for all the input!

Gull Lake has the best population in the area. Most popular spot is out in front of Ernie’s.

olas88

Thanks for the info. Anyone be willing to point me in the right direction on Cass or Leech for when I am up there. Since these are big lakes I am assuming these are already well known for the pout.

When I am in Brainerd I might try the Whitefish chain as well, but that is a ton of water to cover. Hard to know where to start.

CaptainMusky

If you are in Bemidji, Lake Bemidji has a pretty good population of them. There is a hump in the NE side that a lot of people flock to. Might be hard to get to without a snowmobile or atv depending on conditions.

olas88

If you are in Bemidji, Lake Bemidji has a pretty good population of them. There is a hump in the NE side that a lot of people flock to. Might be hard to get to without a snowmobile or atv depending on conditions.

Thanks for the input! I might give that a shot :).

When i look at Leech and Cass the amount of structure is crazy. where does one even start…

CaptainMusky

That time of year is when they spawn so you would need to look for areas that have what they prefer to spawn in which I believe is sand, but not 100% sure. Someone here likely knows though.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

The best Pout resources I have found were in Target Walleye newsletters. Part of what makes them so cool is their ability to avoid netting surveys, never know where you can find them, have to use intuition.

A guy can only catch so many crappies, can’t wait to put the bullwhip away and sit on some sandy humps after dark. I don’t have much experience with them, but pounding sand on a hump seems to be a good place to start. Depths vary so find some sand and get after it.

olas88

Lake access is a bit right up in bemidji. Loads of snow. Winnie has good access though. Hoping later in the week brainerd will have some good lake access as well.

Anyone have any info an the pout bite in brainerd right now? Seems to be kicking off in bemidji

TOM

Lake access is a bit right up in bemidji. Loads of snow. Winnie has good access though. Hoping later in the week brainerd will have some good lake access as well.

Anyone have any info an the pout bite in brainerd right now? Seems to be kicking off in bemidji

Did you have any luck?
    I’m heading to leech this weekend and conditions is not looking any better than the last week I was up there. The fishing sucked too 😆

olas88

I am restricted to road access since I do t have a sled so that has limited me quite a bit.

From what I have heard around here road access on leech currently is not to great for pout spots. Ended up on Winnie and got three ok sized ones in a few hours.

TOM

I am restricted to road access since I do t have a sled so that has limited me quite a bit.

From what I have heard around here road access on leech currently is not to great for pout spots. Ended up on Winnie and got three ok sized ones in a few hours.

Good to hear you got a few.
    What time of day did you happen to get them at?

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Blank, your post really surprised me. I’m on a smaller lake by Gull and the snow is still high risk for driving through. I’ll have to go check Gull today, I could be wrong, and that happens a lot, but it’s still hard to believe it’s glare ice. DARN-DARN- just noticed your post was from 2021. 🥴

blank

You might want to check on the date of that post……
    What a difference a year makes.

olas88

Good to hear you got a few.
    What time of day did you happen to get them at?

thanks, between 6 and 10. had some kiddos with so we didnt stay any longer. Last night was quite a bit better than the night before. somewhere between 12-15 pout in a few hours. All over the water column as well.

olas88

Stopped into brainerd bait shop today and asked about plowed roads and was told very bluntly that they are everywhere so what do I know😀

Anyone know of any places with paid accesses? Saw resorts somewhere of a smaller one that was only a 2-3 bucks. Open to more expensive just curious

olas88

Figured I would bump this again as it is that time of year, or maybe already past that time of year. Anyone willing to share ice and travel conditions in the BLA area? I know there was a good storm up there the past week.

Nodakk

I was out Sunday on a smaller area Lake. Definitely need a snowmobile or tracks. We got roughly 10” of snow this last weekend

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.