Boy scouts now accepting girls.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well this thread deffinatley got way deeper then I had expected but I still think that mixing the genders is a poor idea. And in no way do I think girls should only be girly. I grew up with 2 sister who never once were jealous of my boy scouts but could and still do some bad ass things. Make fires ,ride dirt bikes, catch and clean fish, kick ass. All sorts of so called man stuff. They didn’t want to be girl scouts cause it was boring. But that’s the girl scouts and there leaders who cause that. They survived with out boy scouts and back then nobody was sexist. What changed. Did everybody now get feelings. And we have to make sure day in and day out nobody’s feelings get hurt. Goes with the topic if you have a penis use the boys room if you have a vagina, well then girls room. Crazy thinking I’m aware

blank

Glad to see so many opinions here…how many of you folks are Eagle Scouts or Assistant Scoutmasters and have seen the steady decline in voluntary participation in the program?…The BOY SCOUTS are not what they used to be. Adapt or die off…they chose to adapt. I received my Eagle at 15 and was an Assistant Scoutmaster from the day I turned 18 until life got too busy for the changing BS. I was also a camp counselor at Tomahawk SR for many years. I loved scouting and what it stood for.

These changes are to please the masses and hopefully turn these troops around and increase participation. For me, I see it as a knife in the back of traditional scouting, but to each their own…One side of me hopes the whole program goes down in a wreck, but the other half hopes the changes continue to evolve scouting for the “better”…

I too was curious to know how many on here are Eagle Scouts or even have scouting experience past the Tenderfoot rank. I too am an Eagle Scout, but haven’t been involved in scouting since I graduated high school. I commend your achievement of the rank of Eagle at just 15 and your involvement after that. That’s great!

I agree that these changes are to please the masses and increase participation, but I personally don’t necessarily view it as a knife in the back because I don’t think it was a problem that BSA brought upon themselves. My problem with it is that there is a social justice/political push for this, but I’m sure the issue initially started with some young girls who were genuinely interested in joining because of the activities, skills, and experiences that Boy Scouts offers and it’s sad that they were used as pawns in a political game. Or at least that’s my optimistic view that there was a genuine reason for girls wanting to join. Maybe it will causes changed at the Girl Scouts or another organization that can offer similar experiences that Boy Scouts can.

One final thing, Boy Scouts is far more than just tying knots, camping, and doing outdoor stuff. There is a strong citizenship facet, personal challenge and growth, teamwork, and social experiences that are invaluable. In fact, when looking back at my time in Boy Scouts, its all of those other non-outdoor specific experiences that have had a lasting impact on the person that I am today.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Here in North Central IA we are hosting a Sporting Clays shoot this Saturday to raise funds for the local BS building in Lake Mills IA.
    All proceeds go towards keeping the building upright, utilities paid, etc. The problem they are having is getting enough interest in participants.
    12 showed up last year, sounds like about 25-30 this year. $65 entry fee, 50 targets, pulled pork, baked beans, potato salad for lunch. I’m all for expanding this to all genders to see if this thing can make a go of it vs. watching it tank.

craig s

I sure hope there’s a new “merit badge” to go after.
    for the boys anyway…. whistling

rubberduck
    east bethel

I sure hope there’s a new “merit badge” to go after.
    for the boys anyway…. whistling rotflol rotflol

404 ERROR
    MN

I agree that these changes are to please the masses and increase participation, but I personally don’t necessarily view it as a knife in the back because I don’t think it was a problem that BSA brought upon themselves.

But what if they said no? Violent protests? Riots in the streets? School walkouts? For what again? Allowing female children into the Boy Scouts of America? I’m sure it was a hard political push, but they didn’t need to lay down and accept it…Their giving in to the pressure is enough for me to call it a knife in the back of traditional scouting values, but I can respect other viewpoints.

One final thing, Boy Scouts is far more than just tying knots, camping, and doing outdoor stuff. There is a strong citizenship facet, personal challenge and growth, teamwork, and social experiences that are invaluable. In fact, when looking back at my time in Boy Scouts, its all of those other non-outdoor specific experiences that have had a lasting impact on the person that I am today.

Totally agree. Scouting has given me MANY opportunities that many children or even grown adults have never gotten to experience. I have backpacked New Mexico twice, the Appalachian trail and all of the North Shore trail and Isle Royale. Canoed the boundary waters over a dozen times before I turned 25. I’ve spent two weeks in a kayak around the Apostle Islands. All these experiences have shaped my love for the outdoors and I 100% agree that I never would have done a fraction of those activities if they weren’t available through the BSA.

With all that being said, I see the BSA as dead…Their core values and ideas have changed and we no longer see eye-to-eye. I had the time of my life in scouting and I don’t care if people thought it was dumb or for families that didn’t have the means to teach their kids the outdoors. I was raised to teach, so that’s what I did and that’s what made scouting so great. Scouting wasn’t about learning the outdoors or how to fish, hunt, start a fire…it was about socializing and learning and evolving as a youth into a young leader and eventually an adult people can look up to. How to start a fire, carve a stick, setup a tent, none of that was the primary focus in scouting…and I feel that idea is tough to get past someone who has never experienced scouting.

404 ERROR
    MN

Here in North Central IA we are hosting a Sporting Clays shoot this Saturday to raise funds for the local BS building in Lake Mills IA.
    All proceeds go towards keeping the building upright, utilities paid, etc. The problem they are having is getting enough interest in participants.
    12 showed up last year, sounds like about 25-30 this year. $65 entry fee, 50 targets, pulled pork, baked beans, potato salad for lunch. I’m all for expanding this to all genders to see if this thing can make a go of it vs. watching it tank.

My family used to organize the Trap shoot at West End Gun Club in Eagan for the local troops up until 2016. Exact same thing, no scouts even wanted to be there to help!! The funds were used to pay any fees associated with attending summer camps for children all across the state of MN. Every year they raised over $30,000 yet only 5-6 scouts from a troop of over 50 would attend to help out…

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Maybe somebody suggested this, but why not just have a new organization? Keep the Boy Scouts and start Scouts open to both genders.

blank

I had the time of my life in scouting and I don’t care if people thought it was dumb or for families that didn’t have the means to teach their kids the outdoors. I was raised to teach, so that’s what I did and that’s what made scouting so great. Scouting wasn’t about learning the outdoors or how to fish, hunt, start a fire…it was about socializing and learning and evolving as a youth into a young leader and eventually an adult people can look up to. How to start a fire, carve a stick, setup a tent, none of that was the primary focus in scouting…and I feel that idea is tough to get past someone who has never experienced scouting.

As an adult, that’s one of the big things that I admire and respect about scouting. You’re right, it wasn’t exactly considered cool and didn’t include many of the “cool people” or jocks at school. Its a great organization for kids who don’t exactly fit in with that type of crowd in a school setting or for those who don’t have the means to do the stuff on their own. As a kid I certainly thought some of my fellow troop members were quite quirky and weird, but honestly, being forced to interact, work together, and respect such people is a great experience and appreciate now. I had a strong feeling that many of the people commenting on this topic have had very little experience in Boy Scouts based on how many times outdoor experiences was mentioned and made the focus.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Maybe somebody suggested this, but why not just have a new organization? Keep the Boy Scouts and start Scouts open to both genders.

Boy scouts is ran by volunteers and my scout group has a hard time getting other parents to step up and help. It takes up your free time to help and setup and run events that most parents don’t want to give up.

So now that girls are in boy scouts can my son get kicked out of boy scouts for eating a brownie like I did?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

Boy scouts is ran by volunteers and my scout group has a hard time getting other parents to step up and help. It takes up your free time to help and setup and run events that most parents don’t want to give up.

So now that girls are in boy scouts can my son get kicked out of boy scouts for eating a brownie like I did?

I think I see what you did there. DOH!

toothyfish

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rubberduck wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>cbeeksma wrote:</div>
    Rubberduck, Maybe you can join the Scouts…You seem kind of childish with your name calling. It is called Gender Equality and it’s about time….

Gender equality!??? rotflol rotflol
    Just call them like I see them! I think there is a reason its called “boy scouts”.

I bet you firmly believe in “participation” trophies too! moon

So change the name. Girls scouts is fine for some people but really they are focused on cookie sales and generating money for the organization. If you have a daughter who want’s to learn and participate in outdoor activities like the boy scouts do they are pretty much up a creek.

The scout leader for my sons troop is a female and nobody bats an eye at that. My daughter is 3 and is in dance class but I can almost guarantee she will be signed up for boyscouts because she loves the outdoors, camping, fishing, etc.

But yes they should change the name to Outdoor Adventure Scouts or something like that.

It’s funny how snowflakey all you tough guys are about this.

Why do you insist on trivializing the volunteer efforts of the troop leader by saying that all she is contributing is teaching them cookie sales? Does your son in Boy Scouts not have to sell wreaths and popcorn at outrageous prices like all the other Boy Scout troops across America? For some reason you’re still capable of finding a meaning in Boy Scouts, but Girl Scouts doing the same thing is awful why? Comes across as sexist and pretty insulting to those of us actually thinking about the issue.

ajw

besides the informational fishing tips/techniques, the one thing this site provides me is happiness in that i dont live in minnesota. yikes. the land of 10,000 regulations and counting and a whole bunch of social justice warriors apparently.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s obv because boy scouts are tired of not getting any girlfriends cause they’re a bunch of turds. Duh.

Anyone want to start a thread on the the gender pay-gap?

Seriously worried about naughty things happening on scout trips? Better not send your kid to school cause they let girls/boys in the same classes! Keep them out of youth group cause those missions trips or weekend trips HAVE BOYS AND GIRLS TOGETHER IN THE SAME PLACES THEY COULD MAKE BABIES.

What’s the big deal? Some girls wanna do stuff that the boys get to in boy scouts? Why not let them in? Like, who cares? Can anyone actually come up with something truly negative about a girl being in a boy scout troop?

I do like the, “don’t like the normal girl scout activities? Well go start your own national program by yourself for your daughter you lazy slob!” comments though. What? You work full time to support your family? What do you mean you don’t have time to start a unique program for all of the country’s 9-18 year old girls who are interested in outdoor activities, you’re such a bum. Why didn’t you do that Randy!

A – Aron
    Red Wing

What are peoples game plan for opener….?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Stay local and catch the fish by home and let everyone battle each other on the way up north

big_g
    Isle, MN

meh. that is all.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Maybe start another thread on that and find out.
    I have found it amusing sometimes (and there are always several) that post or comment on threads like these expressing frustration or angst or disapproval that threads like these carry on for as long as they do.
    As has been suggested before by others, if it does not interest you…don’t read it or comment.

FWIW, another forum I belonged to had a click counter on each thread. Every time someone clicked on the thread just to read it, it would add to the count.

Threads like these always had far and away the highest click counts.

Sad I suppose, but human nature…controversy or conflict always draws a crowd.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

…wait, people still join Boy Scouts? LOL. I thought this died out along with Blockbuster.

FishyFingers

I remember when “smear the queer” was fun to play. Man times have changed.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Better yet teachers would tell you to “sit Indian style”.

wait we can’t play that anymore? doah

deertracker

In 5th grade I had a friend who wore an autographed Brett Hull jersey when we played at lunch. Obviously he was the target. Ended up breaking his leg in three places. No one ever got in trouble.
    DT

toothyfish

What’s the big deal? Some girls wanna do stuff that the boys get to in boy scouts? Why not let them in? Like, who cares? Can anyone actually come up with something truly negative about a girl being in a boy scout troop?

I do like the, “don’t like the normal girl scout activities? Well go start your own national program by yourself for your daughter you lazy slob!” comments though. What? You work full time to support your family? What do you mean you don’t have time to start a unique program for all of the country’s 9-18 year old girls who are interested in outdoor activities, you’re such a bum. Why didn’t you do that Randy!

Well you might have heard about all the sexual harassment stuff that’s been in the news lately, right? The Troop Leaders already have a tough job, and as you kinda pointed out(except you forgot that the organizers also have jobs) they also work full time to support their families, and bringing girls in is going to force them all to take additional training as well as open up the possibility of new lawsuits/bad things happening. The people that want to force the people already doing a thankless job into doing more thankless work seem to be forgetting that those Troop Leaders are people too and they already volunteer their time and energy for the kids.

Reef W

Since several of you don’t seem to know anything about this beyond the title of the post here is the press release from October:

Starting in 2018, families can choose to sign up their sons and daughters for Cub Scouts. Existing packs may choose to establish a new girl pack, establish a pack that consists of girl dens and boy dens or remain an all-boy pack. Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls. Using the same curriculum as the Boy Scouts program, the organization will also deliver a program for older girls, which will be announced in 2018 and projected to be available in 2019, that will enable them to earn the Eagle Scout rank. This unique approach allows the organization to maintain the integrity of the single gender model while also meeting the needs of today’s families.

https://www.scoutingnewsroom.org/press-releases/bsa-expands-programs-welcome-girls-cub-scouts-highest-rank-eagle-scout/

404 ERROR
    MN

Existing packs may choose to establish a new girl pack, establish a pack that consists of girl dens and boy dens or remain an all-boy pack. Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls.

Dens and packs are only in Cub scouts. Those perimeters are not the same in the older boyscout program that is being discussed here. The boy scouts use patrols and troops and Scouts BSA has not said a word on how it will be organized yet. Not trying to attack here, just letting you know…

big_g
    Isle, MN

I understood that also, this is about Boy Scouts, not Cub Scouts… Reef, we are discussing the title of the post, nice try though. coffee

Reef W

Dens and packs are only in Cub scouts. Those perimeters are not the same in the older boyscout program that is being discussed here. The boy scouts use patrols and troops and Scouts BSA has not said a word on how it will be organized yet. Not trying to attack here, just letting you know…

It was my understanding that girls could only join the cub scouts at this time and it wasn’t until February 2019 that they could join the renamed Scouts BSA program. I agree they haven’t said anything about how Scouts BSA will work. I guess my point is that there is a lot of hysteria about mixed genders in here and with the choices made for cub scouts it seems logical (to me anyways) that the same type of choices will be made for the Scouts BSA program too.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.