Bow mount trolling motor advise

• mrpike1973

Here it goes: Lund WC 16 foot boat it has bench seats in it. Right now I have a transom mount trolling motor in the front with the head reversed it works great no issues I actually like hand controlling at times. The problem standing in the bow all day can get tiring especially with the v front floor on your feet I have a make shift floor but I’m not a very good designer to come up with something that would not weigh a lot. I thought a bow mount would be better putting the foot control back behind the front bench but I’m afraid it may not work as good as I think it might. My price range would be about 600 bucks for a Minn kota power drive.
    I would need to modify the bow putting in a plate to put it on can be done but again no designer. I thought this would work better because as I get older it’s harder to get over the bench seat. I have another boat that is a floor model boat foot mount bow trolling motor usage of this boat is when bass fishing, use of the Lund is more panfish and trolling. Have used the Lund bass fishing and works great just would not want to do it all day. I have what I like now but always wonder would it be better. I wont sell the boat as it has sentimental value between my wife and I and somedays the Lund just handles way better than the G3 in rough waters. I should ad that I like it the way it is now and basically talking myself out of getting another trolling motor. Thanks Ideas opinions?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Bow mount with a hand held remote all day long over a transom mount.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If you are set on keeping both boats, I would just do that and use each one for a specific style of fishing you prefer. Most boat owners probably don’t have the luxury or space to own a boat for every style of fishing that they do. Trolling in a bass boat doesn’t work very well, and as you stated that bass fishing without a floor/flat surface doesn’t work very well either.

foulpole18
    North Branch, MN

Check out tiny boat nation of YouTube. While they do some real extravagant boat remodels, I’m sure you could find something on there that they do that would help you

CBMN
    North Metro

Pike,

I have a 2008 Lund wc16 deluxe and added a power drive a few few years ago and upgraded to a 55 lb terrova about a year later. I almost only use the remote and sit in the back of the boat at the main graph. Works great. I didn’t want to move the factory bow light so I just extended the bow casting with some 1/4” aluminum plate and 1/8” angles. Riveted down to the gunnels and has worked great for about 5 years. Photos should explain it a bit. I mostly use my boat on the river. Could you just use the motor you have on the g3 and move it between boats to save some $? I have a 24 bold 80 lb on my larger boat and wanted to stay with 12 volts and only one battery on the wc to keep weight down. Feel free to ask more questions.

Attachments:
    1. CF6EA3A0-FBD1-48C5-99A7-82815E5C4DF8.jpeg

2. 80418183-8D46-42B5-AC48-33C933FE3460.jpeg

3. 04EC87D3-D2AF-4A29-8435-A2DCC65A39C2.jpeg

blank

Why not use the transom trolling motor on the transom? I grew up bass fishing out of 14 ft boats and we would reverse the head so back trolling would be “forward” on the motor. Mainly did this for boat control.

mrpike1973

CBMN wow that is great and sharp looking did you rivet into the gun whale for support or the sides you have me intrigued looks very easy and clean cut. I sure love these boats

CBMN
    North Metro

I riveted down into the top of the gunnel and then also riveted thru the hull just below the gunnel as there is actually a piece of angle sandwiched between the 1/4″ plate and the gunnel that runs down the side of the gunnel and up against the very top of the hull.

CBMN
    North Metro

I have seen people just move the bow light and get the trolling motor on the existing cast piece on the bow also and that may be less work I just wanted to leave the light. Toughest part to get was the 6″ wide by 1/4″ thick aluminum plate, otherwise the rest of the stuff was bought at Menards or Ace Hardware.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

You’d have to throw the remote out of my boat to make me even think of trying the foot pedal! Even then I might call for a tow. It’s ok for casting and boat control but I sit in the back 90% of the time. Lots of guys like the pedal but not me. If you plan on sitting on the bow and casting all day then a pedal is for you.

mrpike1973

Never used the hand held remote before but out of my price range. I do like the hand control at times to me it is faster than the foot control. I find myself always looking down to make sure I’m on the foot pedal can’t say how many times lost my balance trying to get that stupid speed control wheel to move. The bow/transom mount is a variable speed I like that better than just individual speeds for the bow mount motor on the Lund

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Its really about what kind of fishing you do. I almost exclusively cast so I need both hands. A remote would be pretty useless for me. My foot is on the pedal almost all the time.

mrpike1973

I would agree gimruis I cast mostly also. I still fish for pan fish sometimes troll but with the outboard for this boat mostly but in rough weather I use this one bass fishing it’s more stable than my other boat. I cant imagine catching a fish and trying not to crash into a dock landing a fish with a remote in my hand. Hand controlled front motor you can use your knee or body quickly if need be not ideal but it works.

CBMN
    North Metro

I just looked up a photo of your g3 from an old post. If I were you I would just buy a pair or minnkota quick release brackets (Mka 16-03) or something similar so you can put a base on each boat and one of the motor mounts on the power drive motor you already have on the g3. And buy a plug and socket that will work on both boats and just move the trolling motor between the two boats as needed. Could get co-pilot remote if you can find one (I believe they are discontinued) if you want to or just use the foot pedal you already have. Maybe into this for a little over $100 instead of several hundred for another trolling motor. Another option would be to find a used or remanufactured power drive. I bought my power drive as a dealer take off from a new boat that had never been used as the customer upgraded before it left the dealership. Was $400 for a new 55 lb power drive. Bought the 55 lb terrova I link I now have for about $900 remanufactured and sold the power drive for $400.

dbright
    Cambridge

Keep a eye out over the winter and spring for a used terrova. I picked one up for $500 the other winter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.