Bourbon & Tennessee Whiskey

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Honestly I can’t drink them at restaurants. My secret is to MAKE syrup and keep a small jar on hand. sugar cube or a dash of sugar just doesn’t do it. 50/50 sugar to warm water, shake it up real good. Then just as a splash of it. I also have come to find out that I like a lot of bitters in my old fashion.

That being said, lately I’ve almost been exclusively straight bourbon or a manhattan.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Anybody got the perfect “ole fashion” dialed in?
    I’ve tried and cannot figure it out. It’s either way to sweet or ends up being straight booze.

I also have come to find out that I like a lot of bitters in my old fashion.

A few years back I was pretty obsessed with mastering the Old Fashioned.
    For me, it was dropping the sweet Korbel and switching to a dry brandy, losing the oranges, and as mahto mentions – heavyyyy on the bitters.

My recipe:
    1 tsp sugar in cocktail glass
    1 Filthy black cherry, touch of the syrup
    Angostura bitters – soak the sugar (“dashing all the way, ha, ha, ha!”)
    muddle
    1.5oz Wollersheim Press House brandy
    stir vigorously until it froths
    fill glass with ice
    top with 7up
    garnish with cherry
    put your teeth in the glass

Brad Dimond

Michael C. Winther wrote: For me, it was dropping the sweet Korbel and switching to a dry brandy, losing the oranges…

I see that you are a cheesehead. I married one, had to learn to make her a brandy old fashioned sweet. The crew in this thread are whiskey drinkers, may think you are a heretic.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I see that you are a cheesehead. I married one, had to learn to make her a brandy old fashioned sweet. The crew in this thread are whiskey drinkers, may think you are a heretic.

Brandy is for cocktails, and by cocktails I mean Old Fashioneds.

Bourbon on the other hand should never be sullied by touching other ingredients. Maybe an ice cube, but only one.

toast

KP
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brad Dimond wrote:</div>

Brandy is for cocktails, and by cocktails I mean Old Fashioneds.

Bourbon on the other hand should never be sullied by touching other ingredients. Maybe an ice cube, but only one.

toast

x1000

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

While I normally would agree with this philosophy, I like low level bourbons or ryes in my old fashioneds much better than brandy. An old fashioned with Buffalo Trace (yes hipsters, BT is low level bourbon, even though you are hording it like it’s Blantons), or Old Forrester 100 beats brandy all day.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve tried and cannot figure it out. It’s either way to sweet or ends up being straight booze.

I put orange peel in a mixing glass along with about 2-3 teaspoons of honey, two dashes angastura bitters, about 1/2 teaspoon of cherry juice and one cherry and one oz of bourbon. Muddle well. Add two more oz of bourbon. Add cubed or crushed ice and stir for at least one minute.

Add a large cube of ice to a glass with one cherry and orange peel. Strain and pour into your glass. Two of these will take the pain (and memory) of a Viking loss away.. until Monday morning.

Attachments:
    1. B8236F6B-D784-4E89-B487-30B9696D836B-scaled.jpeg

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

EPG:

As a long time bartender in WI, Old fashions are complex to the degree of almost every individual. I make them sweet, sour, press and who knows how many other ways… I made my 1st Rum OF Sweet this past weekend. I made Vodka OF Seltzer before too.

I’ve made them muddled, similar to mahtofire14 with simple syrup and with Whiskey, Bourbon and Brandy. I’ve made them with more alcohol, in 12 oz. glasses, pint glasses and many more ways…

But the most important detail as mahtofire14 stated, IMHO is the bitters. Then after that a solid 1 oz to 2 oz liquor pour and just a bit more of the mix after that, perhaps 3 or 4 ozs. I’m also partial to bitters using as many as 8 – 10 dashes of it. I also tend to use less simple syrup/sugar in anything other than an OF Sweet.

So tell me what your favorite OF is and I’ll give ya an idea of “how to”…

Mark

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

This is my way of doing it for an old fashioned.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

A true Wisconsin drink…

This being the modern vs. The Carter’s classic old Fashion

Mark

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I will try all 3 recipes. Clearly the Sconny Style will be the one I try 1st. waytogo

Just picked me up a new bottle to try.

Attachments:
    1. BT-scaled.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

One of my personal favorites for drinking and mixing is Wild Turkey 101. It’s really bold and stands up well to mixing. It’s always highly rated in blind taste testing and is cheap too. Should be able to get a liter at less than $30 and the 1.75 runs around $35-38.

I’m a big fan of Wild Turkey bourbons.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

One of my personal favorites for drinking and mixing is Wild Turkey 101. It’s really bold and stands up well to mixing. It’s always highly rated in blind taste testing and is cheap too. Should be able to get a liter at less than $30 and the 1.75 runs around $35-38.

I’m a big fan of Wild Turkey bourbons.

Just bought a bottle last week. $24. That along with Old Forrester 100 are two of the best deals on the market for a little higher proof bourbon.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I wouldn’t broadcast that too loudly EPG or your town will soon be overrun with men in skinny jeans listening to EMO punk out of their prius…….

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

I wouldn’t broadcast that too loudly EPG or your town will soon be overrun with men in skinny jeans listening to EMO punk out of their prius…….

Haha is that who is buying all the Buffalo Trace before it hits the shelves? Personally, I really like Buffalo Trace and preferred it to Weller’s or Blanton’s in a blind taste test. Also, had some Clyde May and Firestone & Robertson’s TX bourbon (from, you guessed it, Texas) and thought they were both solid bourbons for the $30-40 price range, which is what Buffalo Trace used to be.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

YESSSS!!!! It’s all these damn hipsters that THINK they know bourbon and only see the Buffalo Trace name on the bottle and buy every damn bottle on the shelf. They don’t realize it’s the bottom level bourbon in the BT lineup. This is why finding regular $24 BT is like trying to find Blanton’s now.

Sorry, I get really bitter about this. BT was my daily bourbon.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Hey now I wear shorts sometimes…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Hey now I wear shorts sometimes…

rotflol

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

A buddy brought it back from bourbon country for me.

I’m thinking I’m making a run down there myself here shortly

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

If you need a guy to tag along let a guy know. I have plenty of terrible hunting stories to tell.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you need a guy to tag along let a guy know. I have plenty of terrible hunting stories to tell.

What kinda shorts do you wear?

Iowaboy1

I will try all 3 recipes. Clearly the Sconny Style will be the one I try 1st. waytogo

Ya do know buffalo trace is Cherokee for buffalo whiz dont you??

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>

What kinda shorts do you wear?

Attachments:
    1. DC95BC89-F0C0-4A71-A34E-7BCEE6E69B08.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Looks about right.

Brad Dimond

Just got an email from South Lyndale Liquors on 53rd & Lyndale in Minneapolis that there is a tasting Thursday, October. 14th
    of Angel’s Envy Bourbon 4 PM – 6 PM. Short notice but I will stop in.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure if it’s been posted in the 9 previous pages or not so forgive me if it’s a repeat…

Does a speedo count as shorts?

Oh, another question. Anyone trying the Wild Turkey Honey?
    I turned up my nose at the name Wild Turkey, but was forced to try the Honey. Now I almost always have a bottle in the cabinet.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just got an email from South Lyndale Liquors on 53rd & Lyndale in Minneapolis that there is a tasting Thursday, October. 14th
    of Angel’s Envy Bourbon 4 PM – 6 PM. Short notice but I will stop in.

Brad if you didn’t make it to the tasting, swing into the Harbor Bar Marina. I normally have Angel’s Envy and Angel’s Envy Rye in stock. And bourbon cubes.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Had a delicious old fashioned last night with Four Roses and a premade old fashioned mix.

Attachments:
    1. 6F722E68-A8FF-4B1F-9BDD-C9B7FF88A9BA-scaled.jpeg

Brad Dimond

Brad if you didn’t make it to the tasting, swing into the Harbor Bar Marina. I normally have Angel’s Envy and Angel’s Envy Rye in stock. And bourbon cubes.
    [/quote]Brian – thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it next spring. I turkey hunt near Frontenac, a short hop to the marina.

Then tasting was pretty crowded. I got a sample, had to head out to take Mom out for her 84th birthday. The Angel’s Envy was the perfect way to start the festivities.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 597 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.