Bourbon & Tennessee Whiskey

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

fishtoeat and john23 give out a holler next time you see that.

Angels Envy is in the cabinet! waytogo

I do really enjoy Jefferson’s Ocean, probably my #1.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

How to make Jefferson Reserve smooth…

Attachments:
    1. D78A05BB-7F56-499E-BE4B-CE3FD376E25E.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oh Geez LMAO!
    Ya, that’ll take the edge off.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Couple new bottles to stave off the chill this winter. toast

Attachments:
    1. USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-994676224.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Finished 3 bottles this weekend which meant I got to start my infinity bottle. Here is the beginnings.

1.5 oz of each:
    -Wellers Antique 107
    -Knob Creek 9 year 100 proof
    -Elijah Craig SB

Next addition will probably be Blantons. Going to have a glass when the bottle gets about half full I think. Should be interesting.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Going to have a glass when the bottle gets about half full I think. Should be interesting.

So when are we coming over?? toast

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Finished 3 bottles this weekend which meant I got to start my infinity bottle.

maybe Thanos will stop by for a few fingers

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Got some good ones today at Total Wine. The McKenna is actually 12 years old according to the dump date. Makers is for my old man and I have two bottles of ER to pick up also! Been a good whiskey week.

Attachments:
    1. DD017500-D481-4AA9-926A-53D510DBACE6.jpeg

Brad Dimond

My brother recently gave me that same bottle of Maker’s Mark, I am enjoying it in small doses.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My brother recently gave me that same bottle of Maker’s Mark, I am enjoying it in small doses.

Glad to hear you are liking it. My dad and I had heard it was getting very good reviews so I picked one up. Christmas is going to taste very good this year. toast

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Mahto, I’m interested in your review of MM private select.
    I picked up a bottle of Wilderness Trail Single Barrel yesterday.

I’d give it a 3 out of 3 muskie cheeks. woot

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

The McKenna is actually 12 years old according to the dump date.

That’s a really fine bourbon, especially at the price point.
    To help clarify a bit on age: McKenna lists the barrel date (new product put in the barrel), not the dump date (aged bourbon leaving the barrel). It’s age-stated, so it spent at least 10 years in the barrel, but aging stops once it leaves the barrel and time in the bottle doesn’t keep adding to it. Some brands (such as Blanton’s) do the opposite, listing dump date but no barrel date or age statement.

Still trying to decide on my Christmas Eve pour for tonight!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

[/quote]

For me it shall be a finger or 2 of 12 year old Van Winkle. toast

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

[/quote]

I’ve found Wellers but how did one get so lucky on Pappy? I thought I was close last year with a friend who owns a restaurant but no such luck…

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Mckenna is getting hard to find no doubt so great find! I ran into a bottle of stagg JR so far this year. Still waiting on a lottery for some of the real hard to find ones at my local store. They seem to be very behind on getting them in this year shock

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

I’ve found Wellers but how did one get so lucky on Pappy? I thought I was close last year with a friend who owns a restaurant but no such luck…
    [/quote]

Inner web.

Wellers Huh?
    Might need to do some searchin.

So what exactly is Buffalo Trace?
    Do they distill all these top shelf bourbon’s?

Attachments:
    1. Pappy.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mahto, I’m interested in your review of MM private select.
    I picked up a bottle of Wilderness Trail Single Barrel yesterday.

I’d give it a 3 out of 3 muskie cheeks. woot

I’ll keep you posted EPG!

[/quote]

I think mine will be Weller’s 107. woot

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

EPG I just had some of the Private Select and it is very good. Some nice wood notes and caramel. Nothing too unique but a nice tasting bourbon with a nice amount of spice and alcohol bite.

Got these two in last night. Been wanted to try the White Dog. Never seen it here. Holy smokes is it a burner with a ton of maltiness!

Attachments:
    1. CDD295E7-F464-44C4-8BAD-5648C9778724-scaled.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Maht –
    The Weller look interesting, are you able to buy it local or did you need to go online?
    The White Dog looks like it packs a punch!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Maht –
    The Weller look interesting, are you able to buy it local or did you need to go online?
    The White Dog looks like it packs a punch!

I have a buddy out in MT that is my hookup. Ships it very carefully to me. He can get a lot of stuff we can’t but it’s even starting to get tough for him now.

The Weller Antique 107 is one of my favorites.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Had to have a pour of old rip 10. Not a true pappy but still a gem.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Just picked up a couple new flavors. toast

Attachments:
    1. New-Selection-scaled.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So what exactly is Buffalo Trace?
    Do they distill all these top shelf bourbon’s?

Buffalo Trace is going to be the largest bourbon producer, and is currently regarded as one of the best. They make Buffalo Trace (obvi, but one of my favorites esp for the price if you can find it), Weller, Blanton, Eagle Rare, Elmer T Lee, EH Taylor and Pappy. Netflix also has a really good show about Pappygate, when a bunch of employees were lifting bottles off the line and selling them for thousands on the secondary market.

http://www.gobourbon.com/buffalo-traces-1-2-billion-expansion-means-more-of-your-favorite-bottles-on-shelves-soon/#:~:text=Buffalo%20Trace%20Distillery%20is%20three%20years%20into%20a,Blanton%E2%80%99s%2C%20Weller%2C%20Elmer%20T.%20Lee%2C%20and%20E.H.%20Taylor.

stevenoak

My brother did a 5 day tour of distilleries in Kentucky last week. I asked him if he remembered anything about it. He said The buildings and storage systems were amazing. 5 stories tall and built with 8′ lumber. One of the huge buildings had 3 huge plumb bobs hanging from the ceiling . Monitoring the shifting of it. He said it was well worth the trip.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Buffalo Trace is going to be the largest bourbon producer, and is currently regarded as one of the best. They make Buffalo Trace (obvi, but one of my favorites esp for the price if you can find it)…

FWIW, the liquor store on the west side of Baudette had a full shelf of Buffalo Trace for about $30 (normal retail). I thought about buying them out and bootlegging it down to high-demand areas back home but I’m just not that guy. Instead, if you’re on your way to LotW, stop in and pick up a bottle at the proper price.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I broke down and bought the Surly Furious whiskey a few weeks ago. Waaaaay over priced at $60 buts it’s their first launch (with foundry) and thought it would be neat to have a bottle from there first go round…and limited cases.

It’s not to shabby but there’s way better ones out there for much less…had to try it.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

My personal favorites, so far this year:
    1. Old Forester 1920
    2. Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel
    3. JTS Brown BiB (Cheap but delicious)
    4. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    5. Henry McKenna 10 Year BiB

*My honorable mentions are Weller SR, 1792 Small Batch and Old Tub
    **My super allocated bottles were not included, these are the ones that I drink and can get.
    ***If you can’t find Weller, or other “rare” bourbons, go look in other states.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

FWIW, the liquor store on the west side of Baudette had a full shelf of Buffalo Trace for about $30shock (normal retail). I thought about buying them out and bootlegging it down to high-demand areas back home but I’m just not that guy. Instead, if you’re on your way to LotW, stop in and pick up a bottle at the proper price.

[/quote]

Can we say “Road Trip?” toast

If anyone is up there and wants to bootleg me a bottle, I got a honey bee burnin a hole in my pocket.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just picked up a bottle of Makers 101 and our Liquor Barrel also got in a Knob Creek 120 barrel select by Freddy Noe…..

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Anybody got the perfect “ole fashion” dialed in?
    I’ve tried and cannot figure it out. It’s either way to sweet or ends up being straight booze.

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 597 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.