Bourbon & Tennessee Whiskey

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Not sure if you guys saw this, but a $30 bourbon won best whiskey 2019. Henry McKenna 10-year-old Bottled-in-Bond

If you can find some McKenna 10-year that entered barrel #4976 in 2008, buy every bottle that you see. As a 10-year single barrel expression, there’s a ton of variability from year to year, and even from barrel to barrel. Heaven Hill freely acknowledges that they outpunted their coverage on this competition, as all 3 bottles they submitted were pulled from a single case box in their warehouse that were filled from the same barrel. It was clearly a honey barrel and this win has sold a lot of bourbon for them this year.
    I find it to have a rye note that I favor, so we included it alongside some ryes we were sampling last week (a different barrel from ’09). It’s a very good bourbon and at $30 this is a great value even if you don’t get one from that special barrel.

I’ve been skeptical of the Kentucky Owl, but their rye really impressed me – worth the price as a special occasion bottle. The Midwinter’s Night’s Dram is better for me, and less expensive, but comparing a straight rye to a blend isn’t entirely fair.

Drink what you like, the way you like!

Attachments:
    1. rye-night.jpg

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Got real lucky and scored a bottle of George t. stagg and van winkle 12 year toast

how’d they assign your allocation?
    lottery? auction? line up outside for a bottle? lightning strike?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

how’d they assign your allocation?
    lottery? auction? line up outside for a bottle? lightning strike?

It was a lottery through my local store for one of them. The other was a lighting strike for sure. my buddy found it and asked if it was any good? I told him to buy it for me. I see that whistle pig you have there. always have wanted to try the “boss hog”

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

There has been some controversy regarding a newly developed process of quick aging whiskey’s with new technology. Of course the current distillers would like to refute this as they benefit from the price/aging factor of “better” whiskeys. An interesting read: https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-wait-whiskey-is-aging-fast-11576265195?emailToken=011e273f0304505a0d3b2cd5b45f3b28oNE0DmUjO7qE4D4fSrIzumUtOMDjUBUPIrK9J5LXR+l3I3Yw1XJE7VjRhq4snlOUjKpIBqpPtlttglIdIl8vQg%3D%3D&reflink=article_email_share

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I’ve been following along with the Blood Oath Pacts the past few years. They are up to Pact 5 now and have had them all but pact one, no where to be found. Masters at marketing, they’re very vague about the source of their juice but more important to them, how it’s aged. This year’s iteration in the Pact 5 is aged in Caribbean Rum Cadks. So far one of my favorites. I’ve purchased every one I have found so far, gifted one, shared a couple and am finding myself on the hunt for more as I’m down to s couple of pours.

Pro tip – Don’t leave a bottle of Blood Oath in your desk drawer when there is a Christmas party at work unless you are attending said Christmas party. The bottles tend to spring a leak without any signs of spillage.

Attachments:
    1. 3B66B921-D662-4B6A-8E4B-CF8A312BA995.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think I mentioned before that I no longer buy brands unless I have tried them first…too many bottles of not so great (for my taste) bourbons in the cabinet.

SO…BoatsHateMe, I’ll start looking for some for you to buy and me to try. I have some very nice bourbon glasses in the camper. )

BoatsHateMe

BK I know you are a fan of Angel’s Envy, Have you tried the Rye? It blows the original out of the water. It should at twice the price.

Yep let me know if you spot a bottle of Blood Oath, I’ll gladly share a pour. I’ll even bring along my last splash of AE Rye for you to try.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

BK I know you are a fan of Angel’s Envy, Have you tried the Rye? It blows the original out of the water. It should at twice the price.

I definitely agree with the Angel Envy Rye, outstanding. Total Wine has it normally for $82.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

$82.?? Damn I hate you guys!!

Which Total Wine? SOB!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just learned something new.

Just because the Total Wine website says out of stock, doesn’t mean they’re out of stock! Just means they won’t sell it on line(?)

I found 9 cases of Angels Envy Rye by using the “chat” feature.

Hopefully I won’t be using it in a Ginger Beer drink.

Attachments:
    1. rye.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yo Dave and BHM,

I love it! Slight burn on the first sip…then as it rests in your palette it turns to a slight sweet flavor inviting a person to take another. This one won’t be seeing any ginger beer.

Thank YOU!

BoatsHateMe

What’s that you were saying about not buying a bottle you haven’t tried? mrgreen

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Just learned something new.

Just because the Total Wine website says out of stock, doesn’t mean they’re out of stock! Just means they won’t sell it on line(?)

I found 9 cases of Angels Envy Rye by using the “chat” feature.

Hopefully I won’t be using it in a Ginger Beer drink.

Saw some today in one of my local stores. Almost picked it up…….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What’s that you were saying about not buying a bottle you haven’t tried? mrgreen

Yeah, yeah, yeah….lol

Thank you!

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Well another interesting Whiskey is B & E (Breaking and Entering) By St. George. It is a blend of Bourbon, Rye, and American Whiskey out of California and it is quite good as I first discovered it at a conference in Savannah, Georgia. The only place I could find it in the Twin Cities is Sunfish Cellars and Wine off of Sibley Memorial Highway south of St. Paul just across the river, and of course I have a friend in California that introduced me so he sent me a bottle first.
    They release a new blend every year, last spring I bought their last 4 bottles as the owner stated it could be 6 months before they get another shipment in. I suspect they probably have more in stock. It is reasonably priced and quite smooth. Maybe IDO needs to sponsor a Whiskey tasting event like I did at our annual fishing opener. $2 for 1/2 ounce sample ($3 for Angels Envy Rye), 10 sample max. http://stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/BE-American-Whiskey/

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Which one tonight?

Attachments:
    1. CDDC77C6-69C1-4339-8825-961D9BDDAB2D.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That McKenna is really good. I’ve been trying to find some Weller around town. Not much luck. Have a buddy out in MT sending me some Antique 107 though. Looking forward to tasting it.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Have any of you bourbonites tried Buffalo Trace Cream ? I am told it is delicious for after dinner dessert. I can’t find any in stock any place I have checked. Have been searching for months.
    How about rootbeer instead of ginger beer? I have been told that is delicious as well. I don’t like to wreck good bourbon with contaminates, not even ice, but those two things have recently peaked my interest.

Randy Rowell
    Rockland Wi

McKeena is really good.I also like the 4 Roses single barrel.I have a Weller but haven’t cracked it yet.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Andys in Rochester has Knob Creek Small Batch 750m ay $19.99 this week.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Had to pull some favors to land this for my brother, not sure if I understand all the hype or price tag, but made his day.

Attachments:
    1. D900CADE-4757-48A8-9E55-26D279FA5D51.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Had to pull some favors to land this for my brother, not sure if I understand all the hype or price tag, but made his day.

For sure one of the best known good bourbons. Great find!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The price tag is because it’s tough to find. My only knock on Blanton’s is that it’s only 90+ proof. The flavor is rock solid in my book. I have 3 bottles of it so I clearly enjoy it.

Sylvanboat

If you like smooth, try Triple distilled Irish whiskey.

munchy
    NULL

Have any of you bourbonites tried Buffalo Trace Cream ? I am told it is delicious for after dinner dessert. I can’t find any in stock any place I have checked. Have been searching for months.

Have you talked to the peeps at Total Wine? They can see if any stores have them in stock.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Yes, a couple tries at it. Seems it flies of the shelves whenever they get it.

Brad Dimond

The good news with bourbon (and Irish, Scotch, etc.) is that there is always another good pour to try in your future.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The good news with bourbon (and Irish, Scotch, etc.) is that there is always another good pour to try in your future.

Definitely true. I bought a bottle of the Douglas and Todd bourbon and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the flavor for it being such a young bourbon.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 597 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.