Bottom bouncing rod

• boos1906

Hey guys I think I’m going to switch to baitcasters for bottom bouncing for walleye. I was looking at the bass pro fish eagle. Would that be a good one? Also what length and power is good? Probably under 100 dollars a piece because I have to buy 4. Also what for a reel? Probably under 75 dollars if I can on reel. Thanks

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

As far as reels go, any reel with a flipping switch IMO. Quantum Accurists used to be around 99$ on sale. I wouldn’t use a reel that doesn’t have a flipping switch, especially if your using 2 rods. They are very handy for bouncing. If you have to spend some extra $$ for the flipping switch, do it.

Nodakk

I bought some Scheels brand bottom bouncing rods and have been very happy with them. If I remember right, they were about a $100 a piece

boos1906

As far as reels go, any reel with a flipping switch IMO. Quantum Accurists used to be around 99$ on sale. I wouldn’t use a reel that doesn’t have a flipping switch, especially if your using 2 rods. They are very handy for bouncing. If you have to spend some extra $$ for the flipping switch, do it.

What exactly is the flipping switch?

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

What exactly is the flipping switch?
    [/quote]

When the flipping switch is on, you can engage the reel by taking your thumb off the spool release button. You dont have to turn the reel to engage the spool. It allows you to release line and engage the reel with one hand.

It may not sound like much, but it makes line adjustment much quicker and easier.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m by no means an expert. I generally only bottom bounce if I have to. It’s generally a mid summer tactic used to pull spinners on the river for me if I’m in a tight area or can’t get fish to go on leadcore and cranks.

With that said, I run the nicer ugly sticks for a rod. They’re relatively cheap, load up nicely, and are durable. I’m generally using a 1.5-2oz weight and it’s not really a finesse feel presentation. Spending $100s on rods for this would be a waste.

boos1906

I’d say when I fish I bottom bounce 99.9% of the time. Im going to go with some 50 dollar ugly sticks. Still need some opinions on reels.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Flippin Switch is a must… Ugly sticks will do… 7′ MH. If you want to spend some money you can get longer ones, and ones built and marketed for bottom bouncer specific application, but I have quite a few different ones and if everything came up missing, I would buy 6 ugly sticks and 6 accurists. $ for $ that is what I have found to be the best and most reliable.

Red Eye

One thing to think about is which side you want the handle of the reel on. I run a tiller boat and wish I would have gotten a left handed reel. Now with the right handed reel I have to switch hands with the rod back and forth to control the tiller motor.

boos1906

One thing to think about is which side you want the handle of the reel on. I run a tiller boat and wish I would have gotten a left handed reel. Now with the right handed reel I have to switch hands with the rod back and forth to control the tiller motor.

I don’t run a tiller boat. I use my bow mount and run it from the remote. But 99% of the time it’s sitting in the rod holder.

shockers
    Rochester

As others have said, Ugly Sticks are just fine for bottom bouncing. A decent bait caster reel are those Abu Garcia Silver Max. Pretty reliable and have a ‘switch.’

Deuces

I think it’s much less important for a flipping switch if it’s in the holder all the time.

Line counter would seem to be more functional in the OPs style. Just my 2 cents.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I don’t think the newer Garcia Silvermax reels have the flipping switch.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I don’t think the newer Garcia Silvermax reels have the flipping switch.

They must call it a rocket clutch now??

The Abu Garcia Silver Max Low Profile Baitcast Reel offers performance and comfort while fishing. This baitcast reel boasts upgraded technology including the Rocket Clutch feature which allows anglers to both engage and disengage the spool with one hand

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Do they make a low profile line counter with a flipping switch? I guess I could google it too….

ranger680t

Do they make a low profile line counter with a flipping switch? I guess I could google it too….

Okuma makes one. I have a few, no complaints.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>beardly wrote:</div>

Okuma makes one. I have a few, no complaints.

Perfect. Thanks!!!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I had the same exact question a few years ago…lots of good advice offered here! I went with a St. Croix Eyecon rod and Daiwa Lexa LC reel. I did find holding the rod all day tiring, so I’ve since had a few rods made using the Revolution Reel seat. I’m hoping the more natural grip position will lead to less fatigue as I’d rather not put the rod in a holder. Heading back to Lac Suel in June, so we shall see!

Here’s the link to that thread from 3 years ago:
    Combo For Bottom Bouncers

Matthew Sandys

I second the Diawa Lexa LC reels. I have two of these set up on my bottom bouncer rods. Love love them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.