Boat windshield protection

• Stanley

I am looking at getting something to protect my windshield on the new boat. I have seen the flak jacket and truxedo covers and was looking for input from those that have used them. The flak jacket looks nice and seems easier to use but is twice the money as the truxedo. I have a full custom cover but I usually don’t use it when towing.

Stanley

Thanks, coming from a tiller and side counsel boats windshield protection never crossed my mind until recently.

grizzly
    nebraska

I have the flak jacket and used all last year and so far no problems at all. Easy on and off

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have a full custom cover but I usually don’t use it when towing.

If you already paid to have a custom cover why would you not tow with it? I have towed mine plenty of miles up to from Canada and northern MN.

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stanley wrote:</div>

If you already paid to have a custom cover why would you not tow with it? I have towed mine plenty of miles up to from Canada and northern MN.

It’s just one more thing to take off at the access then put it back on before coming home. Also I don’t keep my rods and much tackle in the boat at home so I have to take it back off at home to load/unload. The other thing was it was nice to see behind me when towing but now if I put a cover on the windshield I can’t see behind me so maybe I will just use the cover.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Sure it happens, but no one I know personally has ever had a windshield break while towing – but if it does, just like a truck, I have insurance. I don’t tow on gravel roads though either.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Sure it happens, but no one I know personally has ever had a windshield break while towing – but if it does, just like a truck, I have insurance. I don’t tow on gravel roads though either.

I’ve broken mine towing. If it’s an older model boat getting a windshield is quite the process. Insurance covered mine but it took 4 months to get a replacement for 2006 Lund ProSport. It was also an incredible mess to clean up.

Mine blew out on 35W just north of downtown. Must’ve kicked up a rock or something. I’d suggest you always cover the windshield when towing.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Gosh, I’ve never even thought about that happening till now. Now I’m even more happy that I had a towable cover made last year!

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chuck Melcher wrote:</div>

I’ve broken mine towing. If it’s an older model boat getting a windshield is quite the process. Insurance covered mine but it took 4 months to get a replacement for 2006 Lund ProSport. It was also an incredible mess to clean up.

Mine blew out on 35W just north of downtown. Must’ve kicked up a rock or something. I’d suggest you always cover the windshield when towing.

The boats a brand new 2022 and I have insurance but the wait time for a new windshield and mess is what I am trying to avoid. I already had to wait 9 months to get the boat I can only imagine what the wait time for a new windshield would be.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stanley wrote:</div>

My exact thoughts. It takes about 5 more minutes to take off and put on. I paid $1400 for my custom cover so it goes on 90% of the time. I have snap in carpet so prefer not getting that wet too while trailering.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

Not only does a cover protect the windshield it will boost your mileage enough to justify putting it on when you travel.

Stanley

Not only does a cover protect the windshield it will boost your mileage enough to justify putting it on when you travel.

Funny you say that. I traded in my side counsel boat for my new full windshield boat. The dealer was about 2hrs away and I started with a full tank going down and filled up before coming home and I used 1/4 less gas on the way home as going down. I didn’t have the cover on my trade going down but did on the new boat coming home. The new boat is also heavier. Guess with gas the way it is the extra time dealing with the cover could save me quite a bit of money.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I start out with the cover on and make a game time decision whether it goes back on for the trip home based on distance and other factors. Never checked my mileage either way but there is some aero science behind the theory.

MnPat1

I put the cover on unless I’m going a short distance. Towing with the cover on is easier on the truck and mileage improves by quite a bit. The cover only takes a couple minutes to install.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.