Boat value above blue book ?? is it worth it..

• fishinfool
    mn

Looking at a boat that is $200 above book value listed, but needs new tires, battery and bilge pump, rest of boat is in great shape . so is this reasonable considering the rest of the boat is very clean. Not sure now days where the demand is for boats, I know they can sell higher than book, but how much more do you allow. any input is great. thanks FF

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

If you just love the boat go for it but if it were me I would add up all the stuff it needs..tires battery,etc and offer him that much less.. Good luck.

mattgroff

Blue book can also stand for bullshit. idk
    If you like the boat and it has a few minor issues but nothin major. 200.00 is not a big deal over the blue value. Plus new tires are something you will want and also it’s nice to get fresh batteries when you buy a boat cause than you know the wear and tear on them. A bilge pump is really a minor cost.
    Good luck hope it all works out.

fishinfool
    mn

thanks folks, I am planning on buying but wasn’t sure on what I should allow.

iowa_josh

Does it have a new water pump? Has the motor been serviced? Wheel bearings done?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree with Matt. Blue Book is worthless when it comes to boat prices.

Condition and local demand are everything. If it’s in good condiditon and it’s what you want, pay what it’s worth to you.

The only purpose and reason the blue book exists for boats is to prevent lenders from over-lending. Therefore, the ranges are wide and they under-value by default.

Grouse

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Blue book can also stand for bullshit. idk
    If you like the boat and it has a few minor issues but nothin major. 200.00 is not a big deal over the blue value. Plus new tires are something you will want and also it’s nice to get fresh batteries when you buy a boat cause than you know the wear and tear on them. A bilge pump is really a minor cost.
    Good luck hope it all works out.

Depending on where you are many places will test the battery for you I.e.: Interstate, using a hydronometer they can check the voltage of each individual cell, thus taking all guess work out of the battery equation. I realize the guy might be leery of letting the battery being tested but that doesn’t say much for his battery. Many batteries that are 4 years old are still going strong. I wouldn’t rush out and buy a new one unless you got an extra $140 dollars or more.

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

When it comes to buying a boat most loan officers use the nada value of the boat not Kelly blue book. something to keep in mind when considering a boat is that people really tend to over estimate the value of there boat and prices differ depending on the time of year as well. I have purchased many boats and have never spent more than book value. over paying could create problems with insurance and your setting yourself up to take a loss if you ever sell. however, it the boat is set up just how you want its hard to put a price on that!! Just my 2 cents.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I would completely ignore what KellyBB says. You have to remember what BB is. It’s an estimation of values based on a specific market. Now, with boats I think you can throw that out the window. The boat is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If it’s the type of boat that has many others out there like it for sale then do your homework. If it has specifics that aren’t super common then you’re going to have to jump on it if it’s what you want. Good luck

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The definition of a good deal is you walk away happy and comfortable with what you got for what you paid.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Besides, this is not the time of year to think you will get a steal of a deal, you should have been looking last November for steal deals. Good boats are in high demand right now and go for top dollar plus some, if you don’t buy it the next guy will.

fishinfool
    mn

thanks for the info guys, Im considering it, however the tilt and trim seems to have a short in it, wont go back up after slowly working when I test drove it. not sure, anyone good with boats interested in stopping by in Rochester to peak at it ??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.