Boat trailer guide ons

• Cooper165

For a 16 1/2 Alumacraft boat and roller trailer. What is the best trailer guide on’s that work best?
    Just have the pair in the back or back and front?
    Never used them and want to try them out to make loading fast-easier.

Thanks

catmando
    wis

I would not own a pair of them , had them on a pro v and roller trailer, they beat the hell out of the boat when the water was rough at the landing. And that’s my 2 cents. DK.

catnip
    south metro

I had the roller style guide ons from cabellas and worked great! I will never own a trailer without them. Makes it so much easier in the wind and current especially with a roller trailer

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

I have a 16 ft Crestliner and just had the dealer put them on when I bought the boat. They are just in the back and are the low ones. I really like having them especially when trying to load by yourself in river current or even bad wind days. Mine have carpet on them so I guess I don’t notice the boat getting beat up at all.

David Blais

I have the roller style. There just OK. Eventually I want the tall ones that stick up past the boat. When you get a really deep launch, and you pull the boat out. It can end up on top of the roller. Not good

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Ve-Ve Inc. 47″ Galvanized Guide Posts

Last year a bought a set of 47″ tall posts from Ve-Ve Inc. I got the galvanized ones. They’re stronger than most of the other post guides that I’ve seen on the market. I think they’re about $115 with free shipping and you can order directly from Ve-Ve. I really like them. I often load the boat myself and don’t power load and they are a big help. If I get the nose of the boat between the posts, I can pull the bow line and the posts will ensure the boat is centered every time. I positioned the posts so I’ve only got a couple of inches of clearance on each side when the boat is perfectly centered so I can never be off more than 2″ from center. I have a roller trailer.

Before I had this pair of tall posts, I had a pair of the shorter style guides that had the carpeted 2″x4″. I found that I would bang the boat into the ends of these boards and it could cause some dings. But with the tall posts, the rubber bumper strip at the top of the gunwale hit the posts and nothing is dinged or damaged.

And as was previously mentioned, on steep ramps, these posts are tall enough that they still extend above the water.

Good Luck,

Boone

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.