Boat titles in Minnesota.

• Nate Ackerman
    Rock County MN

I got a boat with no title. Am I able to get a title in my name with just a bill of sale?
    Minnesota keeps giving me the run around.

iowa_josh

Don’t spend any more money on it until you get that title. Not a penny.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I got a boat with no title. Am I able to get a title in my name with just a bill of sale?
    Minnesota keeps giving me the run around.

The process is pretty straight forward. Both you and the seller should have or will need to, complete a WATERCRAFT TITLE & REGISTRATION APPLICATION.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/licenses/watercraft/title_registration.pdf

If you haven’t done so already, print the form out, complete the form and take it to your local office for processing. The form spells out everything which is required, not sure why “Minnesota” is giving you “the runaround” when the form spells it all out.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

depends on the size, age, and if it’s been titled! Is it registered?
    I’ve bought many a boats and had no problem with the DNR . Trailers are a different matter!

iowa_josh

I have seen threads where guys are all excited and start fixing the boat up and can’t get a title for one reason or another. I think an out of state friend would clear them up sometimes.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Just went through this with the registrar, MN doesn’t issue watercraft titles for boat 16’ and smaller.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Just went through this with the registrar, MN doesn’t issue watercraft titles for boat 16’ and smaller.

NOT TRUE. I just sold my War Eagle 542 that is 15 feet long and it DID have a Minnesota title. The title was transferred over to the new owner….

djshannon
    Crosslake

There are some exceptions to the rules/law.

They are based on the age of the vessel.

I own two old boats without titles.

One is a 81′ Lund that was originally owned by the Minneapolis park system that was never titled, there is a check box on the registration sticker that states non-titled.

The second boat is an 11′ 1971, Weere paddle boat. The length requires registration but there is no hull identifier.

Where are you located, try a different register office. Some are more helpful than others.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.